• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

jscpeterson

Recruit
Oct 20, 2019
I remember fondly in the early years of this game being terrified of the looming Mongol hordes scheduled to descend upon the map, and still have a proud screenshot of the first time I managed to beat them back.

Those days are long gone. Multiple games I've had the Mongol invasion set to their Historical start date. The 13th century rolls around and I hear nothing. Then by 1285 or so, like in my current game, I realize I never even saw an event mentioning them. I think a while back, one game I got notifications that they were coming and they just petered out their invasion somewhere around the steppes. But mostly it's just like they never even show.

I'm very bummed. The only comparable threat anymore is the incredibly silly Aztec invasion. What exactly neutered Genghis Khan out of existence? Was it Horse Lords or Jade Dragon? If I disable one of these DLCs will start to come back?

• 1Like
Reactions:
In that case, it may have been the war AI changes that came with 2.8 and Jade Dragon. It makes AI almost always beeline for the enemy's capital, even in defensive wars. As a result, it's possible the Mongols advance their armies towards their war goal while the target moves its army towards the Mongol empire's capital. Once both have sieged down the province, they change course and move to siege back their occupied holdings, potentially ad infinitum. I've never understood why Paradox did this. It makes AI less capable of winning wars and is very easy to exploit for players.

If I recall correctly: The Mongols (TM, C and patent pending) don't spawn - Temujin who will become Genghis Khan spawns. And he can only spawn in the court of a Tengri or Altaic ruler. If no such courst exists, no spawn and thus no horde.

Edit: Read next post!

Last edited:
If I recall correctly: The Mongols (TM, C and patent pending) don't spawn - the guy who will become Genghis Khan spawns. And he can only spawn in the court of a Tengri or Altaic ruler. If no such courst exists, no spawn and thus no horde.

Some historical conquerors have limitations, such as Seljuk and Timur. Temujin does not. He will spawn, unless a tribal/nomadic ruler has already become the Mongol Empire by decision, or he already exists because the game started when he's already alive.

Reactions:
He will spawn, unless a tribal/nomadic ruler has already become the Mongol Empire by decision

I think this might be what is happening for me. It looks like in my current game some random shmuck of the "Nair" realm managed to create an Empire of Mongolia and it collapsed into a handful of impotent quibbling tribes before Xia came in to pick up the pieces.

Attachments

• Screenshot (274).png
    Screenshot (274).png
    3,9 MB · Views: 0
If I recall correctly: The Mongols (TM, C and patent pending) don't spawn - Temujin who will become Genghis Khan spawns. And he can only spawn in the court of a Tengri or Altaic ruler. If no such courst exists, no spawn and thus no horde.

Edit: Read next post!
I wondered what had happened (playing my first campaign in several years). No Il-Kahn, no Golden Horde? :(

I saw Temujin but he was kind of underwhelming. The Punjabis and Tibetans were pretty strong so the terrifying horse lords have stayed discreetly on their side of the steppe in my current campaign.

I wondered what had happened (playing my first campaign in several years). No Il-Kahn, no Golden Horde? :(

I saw Temujin but he was kind of underwhelming. The Punjabis and Tibetans were pretty strong so the terrifying horse lords have stayed discreetly on their side of the steppe in my current campaign.

The historical successor states never come about through normal gameplay. If you want to see those, they must exist at the game's start.

The historical successor states never come about through normal gameplay. If you want to see those, they must exist at the game's start.
Bummer. :( Looks like I'm gonna have to buy Horse Lords and reach the Atlantic myself.