• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A game set in the Middle East between Greece and Persia, Yemen and Armenia but with focus on Egypt and Mesopotamia. It should start somewhere around 3000 b.c. when the first true states start to show up and end with the persian conquest of the area. This is an era dominated by city states so you should have a hard time actually expanding very far outside of your capital, if you have to you might set up tributaries in your conquered states but even that would require a great investment and consolidating your lands would be very hard and probably result in the collaps of your empire. The ease at which you control large swaths of land should increase with better technology, particuarly as the means for communication improved, but an early game world conquest should be almost impossible (hence why the game should end when the persians did just that) but while you exist as a city state you should vie for dominance with your neighbors by economical and cultural means as well as military ones. Things like trade, diplomacy and the internal workings of your realm should take priority and wars would usually be merely to gain an advantageous treaty over the other rather than to outright conquer them.

Reactions:
1. CK-like fantasy game with gods, heroes and enhanced personal quests system. Hunting epic monsters, earning divine favor to get artifacts and other benefits, sneaking your army inside wood statues and all that fun. Being cuckold by gods instead of vassals is a bonus.
2. Modern age game where instead of country you play as corporation/mafia/reptile agents. Spread your income network, bribe politicians, control media, fuel unrest to sabotage income of your rivals. Or invest into medicine and space tech to lead humanity to stars if you are that boring.

Reactions:
A pike and shot CK2 style game centered on Renaissance Italy, 1400-ish to 1530, with deep political, economic, cultural, and mercenary mechanics allowing for the rise and fall of the powers of Italy and the eventual destruction of the Italian Wars.

Reactions:
Cold war -> Modern day strategy game focused on the politics/economy/diplomacy while still containing war elements as well.

I do think Paradox should try and expand on the CK2 charachters' focus and I would try that in contemporary times, like making an "after 2000" grand strategy game in which diplomacy and population engineering (some Vicky mechanics in the mix) are the main mechanics

Someone remembers Black and White from Lionhead? This game made by PI with PI fairy dust and I would be happy for ever and ever.

Another game I think of. A CK game in a fantasy medieaval world as an MMORPG. Gain land, find allys, increase your ranks, plotting, developing your home castle, make other players members of your council, be in the council of your liege. Run arround in cities, forests or dungeons and solve quests or kill other players.
You have 2 experience bars. One for your character you are playing with and skill and one for your dynasty and you can also skill. The character will die and another gets a chance, the dynasty must survive.
Battles: The liege calls to arm, every vassal gather his troops and joins the army. Before the battle the leader orders a tactic, but he can asks his trusted vassals for advice, and on the battlefield every player controlls the troops of his demense and can follow the plan or disobey it (for some selfish reasons or seeing an opinion to win the batte).
But it's a MMORPG, it runs all the time, what if something important happens while you are not playing? For important stuff you can set some choices, if some can wait he waots and others he will react using the history of the character or dynasty as an indicator.

I would love to see a new good MMORPG.

Reactions:
...No. Biritain is far from unique and special enough. I want a fantasy world with some really crazy stuff and unique landscapes - normal parts as well but not all of it. And i dont want to fight the battles like in King Arthur.

And I really would like to play a industrializing world.The idea of fighting elves, dwarfs, orcs and who knows what else at the start with knights and mages and at the end you could end up with about 18th century musketeers. And railroads - i want them. Before you get there you woud have to get rid of your own knights and mages so a lot of social conflict and change (actually i think this should be the peace time mechanics of EUIV: building out the burocracy and creating the standing army and making the loosing social classes accept the change wich they are reluctant to do). Really doing this and adding fantasy elements. For example elven units would get huge bonuses in woods. Another interesting choice would be what you do when you actually conquer elves: be they ecqual, or become slaves, are they autonomous part of your country or you simply try to integrate them fully. Dealing with magic would be the hardest part: you want to take the mages privilages but you have to find a way to deal with them - there should be some really OP ones but the most should be strong too. Or you can make a compromise and maybe try later. You would have policies regardsing magic: outlawed or which magic shools are allowed. And to add a bit spice you would have to fight occassional bigger and smaller disasters: necromancer uprising orc or whatever hordes appearing. Smaller scale would be a strong monster appearing and attacking your territory or other kind of raider groups appearing. And all the while building up your country: building roads, turning forests to farmlands, opening mines. Opening schools and maybe destroying magic academies. A colonizing aspect could be added for taking back the lands controlled or devastated by evil forces. Technoligical advence would include tihngs like trying to tame and breed unicorn and creating a unicorn cavalry or using them as messengers - same with other beasts.

So advence technologically and build up a modern country, bring order to chaos and unite the map, manage social change while fighting bigger and smaller disasters. . I know most of this is rambling but if there was a game doing this and doing it right...
You should try out Aracanum, it's an older RPG but thematically exactly what you are after.

Reactions:
A game set in the classical era Greece, with deep economy and meaningful long term choices would be fantastic. One would be able to build a society more like Sparta or more like Athens.

I'd like an America (not United States, the real meaning of the word America, which is the continent) specific game starting in 1500 where you have to manage a colony and guide it to independence (or crush the filthy rebels). I would plan the game in three "stages":

1. The first stage is the colonization stage. You start the game by choosing a colonizer (Spain, Portugal, England, Courland, Netherlands, France, The Knights, Scotland, Sweden, Russia, Denmark and Norway, maybe some fantasy options like Morocco, China, Japan, an Italian nation and a surviving Vinland) and a starting general location (the actual province is randomized, but generally coastal). When you're actually playing, your objective is to develop your colony, whether by expanding your territory or improving what you already have (growing your population, building infrastructure, setting up trade routes with other colonies of the mother country, etc). Your colony is in direct competition with natives, and other nation's colonies, and it can compete indirectly with other colonies of the colonizer (by trying to make stuff more attractive for settlers, smuggling goods through your own ports if the colonizer has designated another colony's ports as the only port for legal trade with foreign nations, making deals with natives to attack that other colony and related stuff). Finally, the mother country can take some policies that condition your playthrough (for example: if the mother country takes a mercantilist approach, they will have very strict control of which ports the colonies can use to trade, or what nations you can trade with), decide to set up other colonies (maybe you are a French colony in Sao Paulo and you want to extend southward into the River Plate Basin, but France decides to put another colony there) merge and split colonies (it should normally not affect player controlled colonies, unless you become very big, or there's a big rebellion in a neighboring colony and after crushing the rebels it decides to make you deal with the rebels, and you can refuse but that may cause an independence war) and give you objectives ("the Russian colony is expanding very quickly down the pacific northwest, make sure they don't spread south of the Columbia River", or "We think there're silver mines in the Altiplano, explore and expand in that region, be careful about the natives, they seem to be very organized).
  2. There will be a value for Liberty Desire, that will go up as your colony develops a different identity form the mother nation, as you start feeling that your interests are not being respected fairly by the motherland, when the colonizer is conquered by another power (looking at you Napoleon), and by successful revolutions from other (former) colonies. This will kick-start the revolutionary stage, where you can either decide there'll be no taxation without representation, or that you owe allegiance to the motherland, and you'll take control of the revolutionary or counterrevolutionary forces in the colony, to start a war for independence. If you lose it's game over. During this stage you can try and convince other colonies who share your overlord to join your war and seek support from foreign powers (and natives, if you haven't absorbed them into your country). If you are take the side of the loyalist forces and crush the rebels you may make an arrangement with the motherland to try and solve some of the issues (becoming a commonwealth, or getting some representation in the overall government, for example), And as a revolutionary, should you achieve independence you'll have to build a nation.
  3. The final stage is the nation-building stage, where you get to try and heal the growing pains of a newly independent nation: what kind of government should you adopt? if you were allied to another colony, will you become two (or however many) different countries now or will you continue as one nation? what about the ideological issues? what do we put in our constitution? should there be one strong central government or many regional ones?, should slavery be allowed or not?, what do we do with minority religions? is our manifest destiny to stretch from Atlantic to Pacific and from Alaska to the Drake Passage? Why do you filthy bastards disagree, what do you mean you're seceding? and so on... I'd say this stage should go until maybe the mid 1920's, with that as the end date.

Reactions:
I'd like an America (not United States, the real meaning of the word America, which is the continent) specific game starting in 1500 where you have to manage a colony and guide it to independence (or crush the filthy rebels). I would plan the game in three "stages":

1. The first stage is the colonization stage. You start the game by choosing a colonizer (Spain, Portugal, England, Courland, Netherlands, France, The Knights, Scotland, Sweden, Russia, Denmark and Norway, maybe some fantasy options like Morocco, China, Japan, an Italian nation and a surviving Vinland) and a starting general location (the actual province is randomized, but generally coastal). When you're actually playing, your objective is to develop your colony, whether by expanding your territory or improving what you already have (growing your population, building infrastructure, setting up trade routes with other colonies of the mother country, etc). Your colony is in direct competition with natives, and other nation's colonies, and it can compete indirectly with other colonies of the colonizer (by trying to make stuff more attractive for settlers, smuggling goods through your own ports if the colonizer has designated another colony's ports as the only port for legal trade with foreign nations, making deals with natives to attack that other colony and related stuff). Finally, the mother country can take some policies that condition your playthrough (for example: if the mother country takes a mercantilist approach, they will have very strict control of which ports the colonies can use to trade, or what nations you can trade with), decide to set up other colonies (maybe you are a French colony in Sao Paulo and you want to extend southward into the River Plate Basin, but France decides to put another colony there) merge and split colonies (it should normally not affect player controlled colonies, unless you become very big, or there's a big rebellion in a neighboring colony and after crushing the rebels it decides to make you deal with the rebels, and you can refuse but that may cause an independence war) and give you objectives ("the Russian colony is expanding very quickly down the pacific northwest, make sure they don't spread south of the Columbia River", or "We think there're silver mines in the Altiplano, explore and expand in that region, be careful about the natives, they seem to be very organized).
  2. There will be a value for Liberty Desire, that will go up as your colony develops a different identity form the mother nation, as you start feeling that your interests are not being respected fairly by the motherland, when the colonizer is conquered by another power (looking at you Napoleon), and by successful revolutions from other (former) colonies. This will kick-start the revolutionary stage, where you can either decide there'll be no taxation without representation, or that you owe allegiance to the motherland, and you'll take control of the revolutionary or counterrevolutionary forces in the colony, to start a war for independence. If you lose it's game over. During this stage you can try and convince other colonies who share your overlord to join your war and seek support from foreign powers (and natives, if you haven't absorbed them into your country). If you are take the side of the loyalist forces and crush the rebels you may make an arrangement with the motherland to try and solve some of the issues (becoming a commonwealth, or getting some representation in the overall government, for example), And as a revolutionary, should you achieve independence you'll have to build a nation.
  3. The final stage is the nation-building stage, where you get to try and heal the growing pains of a newly independent nation: what kind of government should you adopt? if you were allied to another colony, will you become two (or however many) different countries now or will you continue as one nation? what about the ideological issues? what do we put in our constitution? should there be one strong central government or many regional ones?, should slavery be allowed or not?, what do we do with minority religions? is our manifest destiny to stretch from Atlantic to Pacific and from Alaska to the Drake Passage? Why do you filthy bastards disagree, what do you mean you're seceding? and so on... I'd say this stage should go until maybe the mid 1920's, with that as the end date.

This sounds a little like Sid Meier's Colonization, and now that you bring it up I'd love to see PDS' spin on the game.

Reactions:
War of the Roses 1.5

No it's not a "+1" but simply them picking the project back up. Add in new maps, anti cheat, and a new game mode or two. The game was soooo close to being done when they dropped it and rushed into a second project which caused an "oh shit" moment when they realized fatshark can't afford to make 2 games at once.

Idea 2: combine Hearts of Iron's RTS with a WWII FPS. Similar to Heroes and Generals but with competent devs. Hell this could even be done as medieval melee combining war of the roses with an rts map!

Last edited:
It's definitely within the realms of possibility that we'll see a PDS grand strategy mobile game announced this December. I wouldn't have a problem with this because at least on the iPhone app store, the amount of new and replayable games is extremely dismal at this point. If done correctly, a mobile grand strategy game would be a fantastic way to pass the evening commute and expand Paradox's fanbase substantially.

Reactions:
I'm fair sure I could enjoy a real time grand strat game based on the world-build in the Conan stories.

The thread results so far ( I tried to "normalize" some posts in similar categories )

The "Ancient" block is leading the poll

Code:
Bronze age                    2
Ancient Egypt / Near East     5
Ancient India                 1
Ancient China                 3
Classic Greece/ Rome          5

High middle ages (pre ck2)    5

Renaissance/xvii century      3
Napoleonic/Victoria ages      2
WWI                           1

Modern days /near future      8

Dating sim                    1
Business simulator            1
Organized Crime simulator     1

Fantasy world (techno)            3
Fantasy world (sword and sorcery) 5

Reactions:
An small update to my other post with a big thing that I forgot to talk about:

Native nations should be playable. They should have a very different play-style from colonies, and also different styles from each other, it's not really well made if the Incas fell exactly the same as the Comechingones, the Innu people or a Caribbean tribe (as a matter of fact, thanks to how specific the circumstances were for the conquest of the Inca, playing as them should almost always put them in an ahistorically strong position). If you chose to play as Vinland, they should feel half-way between colony and native.

In general, a native playthrough should be about:
  1. recovering from the societal collapse caused by disease and the irruption of Europeans in the geopolitical plane.
  2. navigating the new web of competing powers to try and guarantee your independence.
  3. resisting colonialism and defining your relation with the old world in your own terms instead of being assimilated and subjugated by European colonies.

Reactions:

I didn't know that I wanted this game, but now I do.

Reactions:
Something with pops, production chains and realistic raw material production. (No bananas in the arctic, and no iron on the beach)
And a functioning market.

IDC about time frame

Last edited:
Reactions: