• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Kliwarrior

General
85 Badges
Oct 27, 2003
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars Pre-Order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • VtM - Bloodlines 2 Blood Moon Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
And now for something completely different !!

I mean, besides "Victoria.3" , "Roma.2" , "CK.3" and other [ put your favourite title and add +1 to current version ] games, what would be your PDS game of dreams ?

I would personally like a modern day global political and economical simulation, with relatively low focus of warfare (modern day conflicts are somewhat limited in scope) but depicting all the complexity of modern world.

-----

Results:

Code:
Bronze age                    2
Ancient Egypt / Near East     6
Ancient India                 1
Ancient China                 4
Classic Greece/ Rome          6

Early middle ages (pre ck2)   6

Renaissance/xvii century      4
Napoleonic/Victoria ages      3
WWI                           2

Modern days /near future      11

Dating sim                    1
Economic/Business simulator   3
Organized Crime simulator     1
Diplomatic/political simulator   1

Fantasy world (techno)            3
Fantasy world (sword and sorcery) 11

Tactic warfare (ASL like)         1

Vampires         1

Last edited:
Reactions:
And now for something completely different !!

I mean, besides "Victoria.3" , "Roma.2" , "CK.3" and other [ put your favourite title and add +1 to current version ] games, what would be your PDS game of dreams ?

I would personally like a modern day global political and economical simulation, with relatively low focus of warfare (modern day conflicts are somewhat limited in scope) but depicting all the complexity of modern world.
I literally had a very real dream about a neolithic ---> bronze age game made by paradox. With late game, super expensive, hard to develop tech.... IRON! DUN DUN DUN

But it would be incredible. Such a game would have to deal with changing climates, ice caps retreating, in addition to societies developing over time.

Reactions:
Ancient Egypt and middle east, as in before the Persians conquered it.
Maybe set in 700 BC?

Reactions:
Would love Volkswander: The Great Invasions. A game where you play a tribe in the chaos surrounding the fall of the Roman Empire. Sure, you control territory, but you're not leading a state, you're leading a people (represented by pops). You could conquer vast lands, but you only have a certain number of pops to populate that land with, and your conquered peoples are still there. If you spread yourself too thin you could end up like the huns and disappear. Of course, if you don't expand at all you'll also vanish into the dustbin of history. Over time, you could assimilate related peoples into your own kingship, and a thriving tribal people will of course grow to include new pops. Diplomatically a smaller tribe can also create or join a tribal confederacy, where several weaker tribes come together to increase their influence, at the cost of internal cohesion and the possibility of collapse if things don't go well. Defend against the Huns, exploit the collapse of the Roman Empire, and quiver against the unstoppable might of the Muslim conquests.

You'd have a very different experience ruling over Rome or Byzantium, as you'd have a greater focus on exploitation of land than management of your pops. They'd be much richer than tribes but pack less military ability per pop. These empires can settle allied tribes within their lands to improve the military fortunes of the empire, but if you don't keep them happy you might be inviting in your own doom.
I imagine you'd play from about 400 AD up until the (edit) death of Charlemagne in 812. I'm imagining a rather fluid pop-based game where control of land isn't as important as who the people occupying it are. The tribes I'm talking about are not even a little bit related to the way they're portrayed in CK2.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I'd also like a game set in the modern days.
I think it would work great as some adaptation of Victoria, since that game generally has a larger focus on the economy and politics then war, though it still needs to be adjusted a bit. Maybe have three start dates, 1946 (I generally feel all the cold war era would be interesting, though possibly a lot of work to get right), 1990 with the end of the cold war and 2018 (or whatever the latest year is when the game launches). The game should probably have an even bigger focus on the economy, forcing you to invest in all sorts of trade infrastructure (railways, highways, ports, airports) as well as signing trade deals to bring prosperity to your nation and create closer ties to other nations. You can also use it to expand your influence, by having nations sign exclusive deals with you or trying to make them dependent on your (and only your) exports. You could also try the gunboat diplomacy game, by stationing tanks and air crafts near other countries, or even nuclear weapons, if you want to go that far. But it will likely be to the other nations discontent and might spark a crisis. And if a crisis in in your interest you could fund (or even militarily support) rebel groups. Other then in Victoria, a crisis would not have to be resolved, but could turn cold, creating some permanent, unresolved, struggle that might reignite later, if new actors decide to support either side or on some other unexpected turn of events.

Reactions:
Would love Volkswander: The Great Invasions.

very interesting concept - even if I would limit the timeframe a little ( perhaps ending in early IX century , not 962 )

Reactions:
Game set in the present, that goes into the future. Like, perhaps 1991 (fall of the USSR) to 2500 AD. New speculative geopolitics and ideology, deep service-based economy mechanics, new techs, questions involving automization, climate crisis, cyberwar, WWIII, obsoleteness of the nuke, transhumanism, etc.

Reactions:
So basically to fill the gap between HOI4 and Stellaris ;)

Reactions:
So basically to fill the gap between HOI4 and Stellaris ;)
I guess so, but very focused on planet Earth and the geopolitics and economics we could see in the next few centuries. It could be seen as an "on-Earth" version of Sid Meier's Beyond Earth

Some themes:
-The rise of AI. Literally every sci-fi story cannot stop man's desire to make AI a reality.
-Transhumanism. Eugenics is making a comeback, with medical advances to allow for the purging of genetic diseases and early cybernetics.
-Globalization start. The world market, populations, and cultures of the game will be interconnected at the beginning, and it is up in the air what happens in 100 or 200 years.
-New ideologies involving these former discussed issues.
-Environmentalism. Our relation to the environment is one of the defining questions of the 21st century, and could be its own story event chain with many endings.
-Overpopulation and population decline. The population skyrocketed after WWII, but it is starting to slow down. Problems of overpopulation OR underpopulation could become real issues in the game as you approach 2200 AD and onwards.
-The Great Filter? A lingering question. If we are to believe Fermi's Paradox, there is a possibility that some big event or series of events, many involving our own decisions, could occur in the near future to decide if we become a space-faring race, or if we go extinct.
-Speaking of which, human extinction could be a new big mechanic of the game, involving problems such as the Great Filter, over/underpopulation, pollution and global warming, nuclear war, ice age, meteorite, etc.
-Domestic politics, due to war as of now being very taboo (though could change in the near future, and should be represented). We could even make it similar to CKII, except involving "great people" (named scientists, economists, politicians, and other random blokes).
-Equalization of development. About a quarter way in the game, we should expect basically all the world's nations, even in Africa, to be on a similar footing of "modernness". A lot of countries might even be able to fund space programs even in the "global south" by 2100.
-Space "exploration". More offscreen, but nations can plan projects for great scientific discovery and competition. Preliminary ones could include "Man on the Moon" for individual nations, and then we get into global competitions like "First person on Mars", "Drill into Europa", "Probe in Alpha Centari", and even "Faster than Light" for a late game one.
-Ocean colonization. The World's Seas are the last frontier on Earth, and 2200 AD could see a "scramble for the Ocean". There should also be scientific events and accomplishments involving the sea.

Just my thoughts.

Reactions:
Would love Volkswander: The Great Invasions. A game where you play a tribe in the chaos surrounding the fall of the Roman Empire. Sure, you control territory, but you're not leading a state, you're leading a people (represented by pops). You could conquer vast lands, but you only have a certain number of pops to populate that land with, and your conquered peoples are still there. If you spread yourself too thin you could end up like the huns and disappear. Of course, if you don't expand at all you'll also vanish into the dustbin of history. Over time, you could assimilate related peoples into your own kingship, and a thriving tribal people will of course grow to include new pops. Diplomatically a smaller tribe can also create or join a tribal confederacy, where several weaker tribes come together to increase their influence, at the cost of internal cohesion and the possibility of collapse if things don't go well. Defend against the Huns, exploit the collapse of the Roman Empire, and quiver against the unstoppable might of the Muslim conquests.

You'd have a very different experience ruling over Rome or Byzantium, as you'd have a greater focus on exploitation of land than management of your pops. They'd be much richer than tribes but pack less military ability per pop. These empires can settle allied tribes within their lands to improve the military fortunes of the empire, but if you don't keep them happy you might be inviting in your own doom.
I imagine you'd play from about 400 AD up until the formation of the Holy Roman Empire under Otto. I'm imagining a rather fluid pop-based game where control of land isn't as important as who the people occupying it are. The tribes I'm talking about are not even a little bit related to the way they're portrayed in CK2.
I love this idea and have been patiently waiting for this game since 2003.

Reactions:
I basically want CK2-ish game that takes place in Late Middle Ages. While CK2 covers this period it treat it fairly. Whole period is really interesting going from Mongol stagnation to decline, depopulation from plague, spread of gunpowder, popular revolts, centralization. Yet I doubt I'll ever get it.

Reactions:
I would like to see a Cold War -era grand strategy game. It would mostly bet about projecting influence, managing the economy and reacting to world events and crises. Most wars would be proxy wars. The two superpowers would be the dominant nations, but it would be possible for other great powers (e.g. China) to become a third superpower. The game would most likely be more Victoria than Europa; not much warfare and the great nations at start would most likely still be great in the end. In the beginning everyone is rushing for the nukes so that the Balance of Terror stays neutral and the Communists are very powerful in Europe, but in the end the Communists would have to struggle to keep their ideology or embrace Western influences. As a Cold War game would (like Victoria) be more about enjoying the ride rather than gaining supreme dominance, world conquest would require a truly dystopian World War 3 (with nukes everywhere!)

Sorry for the rambling post, I tried to unload my thoughstream but it went everywhere.

Reactions:
very interesting concept - even if I would limit the timeframe a little ( perhaps ending in early IX century , not 962 )

Honestly the timeline is up in the air. I kind of view Charlemagne as the culmination of this game in my head, as one of the tribes finally rises up to achieve hegemony. So maybe it should end when he dies. The start is a bit fuzzy too, I'd like for it to begin when the Roman Empire is still around, but in terminal decline and more or less unable to hold itself together. But really any time between about 400 and 500 AD would work as the start date.

I know one of the higher ups at Paradox (Johan maybe?) once said they found the "dark ages" boring and that they wouldn't want to make a game set there, but I think it's a really interesting period and one where you could have a really unique game that plays a lot differently than their other (fantastic) games. Hehe, I've put a lot of thought into it over time.

A modern day or Cold War game. It'd probably be the most complicated and difficult game for Pdox to make, but it would also be the most rewarding. I'm not particularly in favor of going before Rome, because at that point you are essentially just getting similar games to what we have now with a different skin, and if I want that, I would just play the game that best models it with a relevant mod. Pre-Rome can more or less be modeled by what we have now in one of the Pdox games with some flavour changes (an example being Sengoku, which is pretty much "Crusader Kings: Japan Edition", whereas the during and post-Roman periods are covered by specialized games that are different enough to make all of them interesting and worth playing.

This really only leaves the modern/near-future/cold war eras as possibilities for "realistic" GSG games with actually new and interesting features that we don't see in all the other Paradox games.

In terms of non-realistic games... Well, I would love a 40K GSG. 40K is one of the best franchises for it. Or LotGH. Or even some new and unique IP based on sci-fi or fantasy settings.

After the eu4 necromunda thing my desire for a fairly faithful computer version of necromunda has surfaced again. I realise that there are potentially better Devs out there for it but the more places it gets mentioned the more likely I'll be able to scour the underhive with my redemptionists!

Reactions:
I'd like to see a game featuring the ancient empires up to Rome. Starting around the late bronze age collapse and ending with the Roman Empire. A lot of the way EU4 plays would fit in pretty well in the period (obviously without the PUs etc).

Reactions:
I literally had a very real dream about a neolithic ---> bronze age game made by paradox. With late game, super expensive, hard to develop tech.... IRON! DUN DUN DUN

But it would be incredible. Such a game would have to deal with changing climates, ice caps retreating, in addition to societies developing over time.

This is my dream.

Reactions: