What will lock you out of missions?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Skoonting

Sergeant
67 Badges
Jun 18, 2017
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Prison Architect
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • War of the Roses
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
I'm pretty frustrated by this point. I was playing as Rome, and was doing incredibly well. I had even won a war against carthage before starting the mission, and taken their capital. I then finish up my current mission to take Cisalpine Gaul, before discovering that the Punic Rivals mission can't be started, and the game treats it as if I already finished it (I have hispanian ambitions and conquest of africa available now). This basically means I miss out on a whole bunch of great buffs from the Punic Rivals mission. In other words, I was punished for doing well. I ended up giving Carthage (the province) back to Carthage, which instantly enabled the mission again.

At this point I'm worried that if I dare expand as Rome, before I start the mission that grants me permission to do so, I'm gonna be locked out of the entire mission tree and miss out of interesting buffs. Does anyone know what the actual prerequisites for a mission being available is? Because the wiki or the ingame tooltip is clearly not correct.

I'm pretty frustrated by this point. I was playing as Rome, and was doing incredibly well. I had even won a war against carthage before starting the mission, and taken their capital. I then finish up my current mission to take Cisalpine Gaul, before discovering that the Punic Rivals mission can't be started, and the game treats it as if I already finished it (I have hispanian ambitions and conquest of africa available now). This basically means I miss out on a whole bunch of great buffs from the Punic Rivals mission. In other words, I was punished for doing well. I ended up giving Carthage (the province) back to Carthage, which instantly enabled the mission again.

At this point I'm worried that if I dare expand as Rome, before I start the mission that grants me permission to do so, I'm gonna be locked out of the entire mission tree and miss out of interesting buffs. Does anyone know what the actual prerequisites for a mission being available is? Because the wiki or the ingame tooltip is clearly not correct.
each mission tree that is unique has its own requirements. All generic trees have the same type of requirement.

In your case, there are no requirements of Carthage actually owning the city. But it needs more than 50 territories, maybe it only got that much after you have them back their capital.

In your case, there are no requirements of Carthage actually owning the city. But it needs more than 50 territories, maybe it only got that much after you have them back their capital.

They owned all of north-Africa excluding Egypt, and about 3/4th of Hispania, so a lack of territories definitely wasn't the issue. All of the other requirements were also fulfilled.