• Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Impire
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
When's the last time you've seen an Egyptian talk about how great Egypt used to be? Or an Iranian talking about their non Muslim days? You'll see western nations who were straight out conquered by Rome still call back to it as almost an honor. But you won't see an Imam in Egypt talking about how bad the country is now and if only they'd have looked back on what Pharaoh did in X situation.
There are not many Egyptians or Iranians around where I live. The last time I remember talking to one for more than few minutes was years ago, in the university cafeteria. A biochemistry student, that I guess would fit your "Iranian talking about their non Muslim days" criteria. Though she'd consider herself Persian, not Iranian.

Reactions:

Samitte

Colonel
123 Badges
Feb 2, 2012
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2
We've been told a lot of that era was over emphasized

It was and is. Greece and Rome are extremely over emphasized in anything from politics, education, and popular media, to History departments themselves. The % of historians at most uni's specialized in the Graeco-Roman past vs other fields of Ancient History is often well beyond 50%. And thats not counting classicists, though they hardly qualify as ancient historians - especially the older ones.

and they don't have a lot of pride in Babylon, Persia, Ancient Egypt
They do. Even though its not always as factually accurate. But then again, what people in the west believe about the ancient past usually does not fit that bill either. From personal experience, Iranians and Egyptians are very proud of their past. As for Iraqi's, I cant say from personal experience - but even in the circumstances of the last two decades - some certainly are, but you could say they've been a bit preoccupied lately. The country is recovering from a horrific series of conflicts starting in 2003, and while you could see the massive looting that happened since as an example of lack of pride - pride is useless when you need to survive in a warzone. And some sites have never been abandoned - Borsippa is still a holy site after thousands of years - but Nabu has been replaced with Abraham.

Tourism yes but remember these are the people who blow up the same things because it's not Islam.
Not cool, and kinda ignorant. To equate Iranians, Egyptians, and Iraqis to Islamic fundamentalists is so wrong in so many ways - but unpacking all of that is not worth my time and effort.

When's the last time you've seen an Egyptian talk about how great Egypt used to be? Or an Iranian talking about their non Muslim days?
Beyond that it seems like you've not met either group of peoples - as I mentioned before both are proud of the ancient past - I think there's also the issue that people in the west have a really, really wrong image of the Graeco-Roman period. What we're generally taught is the classicist point of view, which as a field of study has mostly been hopelessly conservative and had been stuck in the 19th century for most of its history.

Now the more conservative people will usually point at the ancient past as a negative - but these are not the entire population of either country. But this is the same in most countries.

You'll see western nations who were straight out conquered by Rome still call back to it as almost an honor. But you won't see an Imam in Egypt talking about how bad the country is now and if only they'd have looked back on what Pharaoh did in X situation.

Because those nations generally saw their pre-Roman history through Roman eyes. But this view has been shifting for a long time now. French people are proud of Gaul, Spain has been rediscovering its Celtic, Iberic, and Tartessian heritage. And similar things are happening across the "West". To compare that to an Imam is a false comparison. An Evangelical televangelist is not looking at Pre-Columbian North America as an utopia either.

It's like the bastard child of EU, CK, and Vic and in a lot of ways that makes it that much more complex than them which I think people were expecting something more like EU or CK just reskinned.

One of the main issues it took things from those games - and then did not adapt them for the time period. Its just so bad that polytheistic religions are just as hostile towards each other in Imperator as monotheistic Judaism is. Similar issues exist for most other things taken from past games, and even the stuff they added in later patches.

Imperator simply failed to be a game of the Hellenistic period - which is a large element as to why it failed. It was a game based on Classicist views which inherently leads to a boring game because the Classicist p.o.v. sees only different shades of barbarian outside Italy and the Aegean. The ancient world was a vibrant palette of different peoples, cultures, and places - something which Imperator failed to live up to.

I surely hope Paradox hasn't stopped its development based on some imagined idea that their customers aren't interested in the period or would get too offended be events in an extended timeline.

While I love this period - I don't have high hopes of PDX being able to handle this time period well. Not sure if its worth continueing a game if they don't seem to understand the era it takes place in.

Reactions: