• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

B24 Liberator

Second Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
When I'm not at war I usually play on speed 4, because it is fast enough to get stuff done, and it's not so fast that I can't keep up with what's going on. When I'm at war I usually play on speed 3. I occasionally play on all speeds. I play on speed 5 if I know not much will happen for a year or 2. When I am deep in the war I play on speed 1, and it is the most immersive (yet lots of micromanagement and min/maxing) way to play. What speed do you play and why? Thanks.

Reactions:
I play on Five Speed with frequent pauses on both single and multi. Thats early game. During major wars I 3 or 4 speed to focus on encirclements. This is especially true duringbm Barbarossa.

I play on five with pauses as you don't need to be slower on build up. 3 or 4 is because less mistakes during war.

• 2Like
Reactions:
depends. when im bored with the game and im just trying to finish something, usually 5x speed.

if im in the middle of a major war with more than 3 fronts then i will drop all the way down to 2x - 3x.

if im heavy roleplaying and really enjoying the country im playing as. even outside of war ill leave it on 3x speed.

i feel you get much more immersed in all the small stories playing out in the game without setting it to 5x all the time.

I like to take note of my first armies i make and try to remember where they have been, its cool sometimes seeing this one inf battalion be in the thickest of fighting for years all over the world and is now my most elite and experienced division. a bunch of little stories hidden behind the big picture.

Reactions:
It depens, if nothing "important" is happening I play at X5 speed, and If it's something easy and feasable what I'm doing (which means I can trust the AI) and I am at war, I play at X4 or x5 (I.E Barbarossa after beaking the Soviets).

But if the war has started and it requires my attention I usually play at X3.

If I am roleplaying or doing other things while playing like watching the TV, or I want to think about something before acting, I can play even at x1 A LOT. And I must say that while having multiple theaters and roleplaying, I can really enjoy the x1 speed, because then I can just observe the AMAZING spectacle that hoi4 puts in front of my eyes, and all the statistics it displays and so on.

I've been doing achievement hunting for a while and while before it was unthinkable, now I find myself a lot of times playing x1 roleplaying and enjoying until everything becomes a steamroll and I just return back to the usual X5 . The problem? The AI can't compete with a human playing at x1, sometimes you just have to play fast and let the AI make some mistakes to enjoy the game with +1400 hours in it (and even more).

• 2Like
Reactions:
I use like speed 5 early game when I'm just waiting for stuff to happen, pause and go basically. Like 1937 I switch to speed 4 because I really have a lot going on usually and need to coordinate research with national focuses.

If I'm playing a big power with many fronts in various areas I'll do speed three and it does feel immersive just to see what's happening "now". There's a lot going on for instance for Great Britain in 1941 but a lot of it is just watching the navy work and watching the US move troops around. And it allows me to check around in various areas, air zones, etc.

And late in game I'll do speed 5 if I'm waiting before an offensive or waiting for that darn naval invasion timer which is like the timer on my oven. Never too early.

I play while drinking beer. Speed 1-2 are my friends.

• 8Like
  • 4Haha
Reactions:
My computer is really slow, so I use 5 as it isn't really that fast for me. Depending on what mods and how late the game is, it can get down to just 1-2 hours per second, which isn't too fast for me, as I also use pausing a lot.

4 speed, almost always. it gives you enough time to make decisions without pausing, while still moving the game along at a reasonable speed. it's also to practice somewhat for MP, where pausing isn't even an option.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I play on speed 5 most of the time via liberal (ab)use of the pause button, even in major wars or importantly-timed army movements. Speed 5 really doesn't go that much faster than speed 4 on my computer, and I can sometimes even do hourly adjustments without dropping speed by very quick bursts of pause-unpause-pause. I don't feel that there is anything I need the lower speeds to accomplish in this game, especially since I don't like micromanaging divisions unless I'm at a severe disadvantage. Although, I might need to occasionally drop down to speed 4 in the future if speed 5 speeds up too much after a round of upgrades to this computer.

Speed 2-3 at peace. Occasional sprints at 5 when I have a couple months until something actually happens. In war I spend most of my time on speed 1 and 2. I try to not pause if I can help it (though I do pause). Keeping it running on speed 1, keeps it slow enough to be tactical/strategic. but fast enough that I do feel...some tension.

Reactions:
There are 5 Speeds if I remember correctly. Haven´t played Hoi 4 for longer about waiting for the new big Refit-Version for the Base-Game and the upcomming DLC.

very Slow, Slow, Standard, Fast, Very Fast. I personaly use Slow and Standard about to have an normal and realistic Gameplay. It´s not to fast and you can react if something have to be changed, updated or whatever.

2-3 with lots of pausing to the point that it's almost turn based rather than RTS. My SP campaigns take forever, but I enjoy them.
Basically this.

Reactions:
4 Very early, 3 when wars are happening elsewhere, usually 2-3 when at war.

I never use speed 1, honestly it's so slow that it feels like actually pausing the game. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.