What other games do you like / play?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It also seems a bit tone-deaf since Warhammer III is releasing sometime this year and that's imo the crème de la crème for fantasy strategy games.
I initially liked Warhammer 1 and 2, but I really hate how you can't recruit units without a commander. In previous TW games you could recruit individual units and move them around to provide reinforcements or defend core territories. The enemy AI never confronts your armies and always sneak into your territories to raze cities to the ground and turn them into deserted wastelands, while you're busy sieging a city or deep in enemy territory. It's so frustrating, just killed the fun for me and I stopped playing all TW games just for this reason.

Reactions:
I initially liked Warhammer 1 and 2, but I really hate how you can't recruit units without a commander. In previous TW games you could recruit individual units and move them around to provide reinforcements or defend core territories. The enemy AI never confronts your armies and always sneak into your territories to raze cities to the ground and turn them into deserted wastelands, while you're busy sieging a city or deep in enemy territory. It's so frustrating, just killed the fun for me and I stopped playing all TW games just for this reason.
I agree this is one thing I strongly dislike about the newer TW titles. Last game to feature individual unit movement was Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai afaik.

Reactions:
I agree this is one thing I strongly dislike about the newer TW titles. Last game to feature individual unit movement was Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai afaik.
Yeah I can't stress enough how frustrating it can be in the newer titles, specially coming from a background of religiously playing every Total War title since first Medieval. To me Medieval, Medieval 2, Shogun and even Empire with all their flaws were much more enjoyable. I think this is a good example of how user friendliness affects the enjoyment of a game, to be honest IR's feature to be able to raise levies using a map tool to respond to a sudden barbarian or foreign invasion is a life saving quality of life improvement. Imagine doing that in Warhammer, impossible to defend anything, specially in wars with multiple nations.

Has anyone played Anno 1800? I really liked it. The most interesting part is how it allows production and management of crop/goods using a supply chain system. It's very interesting and fun to manage. I think IR or EU4 could borrow a few ideas from this game. I'd love to see a trade system where you have to produce X amount of grain in city A to be able to supply city B which can process it into Y amount of bread. So many possibilities there!

Reactions:
Been trying out grand tactician, and I have to say the current ea version is very bugged and nothing functions the way it should as is explained in the tutorials, but looks like an impressive and ambitious game... when they get it to work eventually.

Reactions:
For the samish time period, the main campaign of the first Hegemony (demo in here), that replays the rise to power of Philip II of Macedon.
YES GOOD GAME! I've been playing this from time to time and even if it's 10 years old now, there's still a lot of charm and excitement to be found in it! :)

Its sequel Hegemony III: Clash of the Ancients is a good game as well, never understood why it didn't quite have the popularity of PDX or TW games tbh ;)

Reactions:
YES GOOD GAME! I've been playing this from time to time and even if it's 10 years old now, there's still a lot of charm and excitement to be found in it! :)

Its sequel Hegemony III: Clash of the Ancients is a good game as well, never understood why it didn't quite have the popularity of PDX or TW games tbh ;)
I have thought about purchasing Hegemony but reviews of it being very very difficult and micro intensive (as you need to micro too many things) have put me off. Is there much truth to it? How is it lets say in a comparison with Imperator (in regards to the micro)?

I have thought about purchasing Hegemony but reviews of it being very very difficult and micro intensive (as you need to micro too many things) have put me off. Is there much truth to it? How is it lets say in a comparison with Imperator (in regards to the micro)?
The game requires you to primarily manage supply chains (as literal node connections between points on the map) and units moving on the map. I can see why nodes would be micro but it's easy to pause, set everything up and unpause and once you've optimized a region, you can safely never touch it again unless you want to.

The units are another question. I find it encourages me to only fight 1 front wars, because you need to babysit every unit, so paying attention to two fronts is nigh-on-impossible, for me at least. It's to the point where you have to select specific units to attack specific enemy units.

That said, the actual micro is very easy once you know what to do. Infantry form a line and hold an area for the enemy to run into. The micro is to make sure they are facing the right way at the right time, as otherwise the enemy gets a flanking penalty. Ranged units just need to be in range and fire on their own, so it's just making sure the enemy will go within their range circle. Cavalry is only useful to scout, raid or flank, so it needs the most micro, but I keep it back until the infantry is engaged and then micro the cavalry to easy wins.

I think the difficulty is because unlike other games, the game does raiding very well, which players can find annoying. Whether by land or sea, the AI will send forces at random intervals even into your rear, if it's unprotected enough, just to reduce your production and possibly destroy some nodes. You have to either garrison everything to discourage them, expand to put the raiders out of range or my preferred method, have regional garrisons (of fast units) that can sally out and respond to wherever the raiders appear.

An actual key weakness of the game is that there's barely any diplomacy, but there are mods that expand the options at least.

Overall, I'd recommend Hegemony III hands down, but get the Eagle King DLC to expand the map to Sicily, get naval mechanics and the 'adventurer' mode where you start with an army only.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I started playing "old world" again yesterday. I'll try to stay with that semi-regularly for a while. It's basically reimagined civ with characters+families and an orders-system to represent administrative capacity / ruler-efficiency. It's made by Soren Johnson of civ 3-4 make, and his Mohawk studios.

the family /character mechanics are less pronounced than in IR but still reminiscent, as is the era. lmk if you try it out, it has good multiplayer potential as well.
I got Old World after its Steam release this spring as well - and I'm really amazed about it! Its melange of some unique ideas (like the order system) and taking elements from games like Civ (especially the 4th part), Colonization, Ck3 and IR (see below) works out well, as all those elements seem to be connected in a very balanced and rounded fashion - and there is an AI capable of using all the stuff. The AI has already beaten me several times on a level without boni...

What it shares with IR is a good chunk of the gameplay around characters and families: In IR families care about positions - in OW they care about them too, but also want cities dedicated to them and tons of other stuff (like marriages or luxuries). You appoint characters as city governors or generals - and the boni they give depend on their stats and traits. And the research system with cards to be drawn ouf of a pool with tech in range, picking one and the rest getting discarded for the moment to reappear later reminds me slightly of the way IR handled it before the tech update to trees.

While it is overall still closer to a Civ-style game and less to a paradox GSG, it shows once more that games with a historic setting in that era can be great fun :)

• 2Like
Reactions:
The units are another question. I find it encourages me to only fight 1 front wars, because you need to babysit every unit, so paying attention to two fronts is nigh-on-impossible, for me at least. It's to the point where you have to select specific units to attack specific enemy units.
Fortifying your borders with stone-walled forts or cities and garrissoning them helps a lot to delay any invaders, so you can sequence your attention as you wish to.
I think the difficulty is because unlike other games, the game does raiding very well, which players can find annoying. Whether by land or sea, the AI will send forces at random intervals even into your rear, if it's unprotected enough, just to reduce your production and possibly destroy some nodes. You have to either garrison everything to discourage them, expand to put the raiders out of range or my preferred method, have regional garrisons (of fast units) that can sally out and respond to wherever the raiders appear.
The good thing about it is that the player can raid the AI as well - and raiding in fact is very appropriate for the time frame.
Overall, I'd recommend Hegemony III hands down, but get the Eagle King DLC to expand the map to Sicily, get naval mechanics and the 'adventurer' mode where you start with an army only.
Yes, in the "a new home" scenario you can start as an (invading) tribe searching for a place to settle. There's a mod "more playable invders" where you can also play as Hannibal coming over the Alps :cool: The nice thing is that you can set "world age" so e.g. either Rome in that scenario is a tiny city or a regional juggernaut. I'd also recommend the "alternate starting dates" mod, because here you can select various historical factions either in their fixed locations or a la "a new home" migrating tribe (e.g. colonizing Greeks).

Not to forget that in the Eagle King (as the name says) you get a full campaign with various historical objectives and events for Pyrrhus of Epirus invading southern Italy in defense of Magna Graecia from the encroaching Romans!!! :)

Reactions:
Truth be told, the game needs some acclimatization because it just plays differently. Once you know what your're doing it#s fine. Basically, there are no clean Westphalian borders like in Paradox games, but the borders are messy (as they were in history). Cities swapping multiple times forth and back between parties or forts and bridges being destroyed and re-constructed is the normal flow of the game. Coming from other, more "linear" games (i.e. linear in the power curve), this is something that a player needs to become accustomed to and it's also what makes the game uniquely historical.

As @Victor1234 said, the micro is definitely not more than in Paradox games, it's just a different sort of micro. I#d add that you can also chose to not mirco e.g. your troops, you can move them across the map "zoomed-out" and not care for flanking etc. The map is also more restricted thatn Paradox maps with narrow valleys etc. so you can actually block these putting a fort or a phalanx there.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Fortifying your borders with stone-walled forts or cities and garrissoning them helps a lot to delay any invaders, so you can sequence your attention as you wish to.
The great Canute himself! I presume you are the guy on the steam forums in the Hegemony workshop, turning out the mod which I was referring to? Active diplomacy, I believe it's called. The one where you can recruit a brigade of 'diplomats' and send them to other faction's cities?

The great Canute himself! I presume you are the guy on the steam forums in the Hegemony workshop, turning out the mod which I was referring to? Active diplomacy, I believe it's called. The one where you can recruit a brigade of 'diplomats' and send them to other faction's cities?
Oh well, I have been demasked ;-)

@Canute VII and @Victor1234 thank you both for taking the time to answer me in detail! :)
What can I expect in regards to diplomacy (just peace and war, are alliances a thing)?
In the vanilla sandbox you have indeed only peace (truce) and war and you'll have to pay gold for a truce or receive gold depending which side is more powerful. In the Pyrrhus campaign you also have a "supply truce" (kind of alliance) with greek factions in southern Italy so you can get their resources. There will also be various diplomatic events and objectives, though. However, it's true that Hegemony is a wargame at core, rather than a fully-fledged 4X game.

As @Victor1234 already remarked, the Active Diplomacy mod adds an envoy brigade, which can operate either in emissary, spy or trader stance - so for example if you improve relations enough then you can also get a "supply truce" in modded sandbox and ultimately even (peacefully) integrate a faction (it will still be a different native faction/culture which you'll need to assimilate like if you had conquered it).

Reactions:
Kerbal Space Program
Saint's Row II & IV
Borderlands 1, 2 and PS
Civ IV
Nioh 1
Bloodborne
Microsoft Flight Simulator