• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I see a big Russian stab of Austria coming. Budapest is wide open and if with Austria fighting Italy the openning of a second front (or third if the Turks join in) would spell the end of the Double Monarchy. At least it's distracted Italy from attacking your SCs.

Russias "moves" indeed seems strange. I think VILenin could be right about that Austria will be stabed. Austria does not seem to be an experienced player, Italy will be able to retreat to Trieste now.

All in all it seems very tame ... so far.

I get the feeling that will change ... fast.

Yeah, Russia's inaction is weird. Unfortunately there is no backstab of Austria because once again, I did not read all the rules beforehand. :D
I did not realize that you could retreat into enemy territory so the Tyrolia army retreats into Piedomnt. Sorry about all the inaccuracies with the rules. :eek:o

Note: We were using the 1976 version of the game, so I am unsure if the rules have changed since then. Anyway, I'm not sure if there will be more misinterpreted rules in the future so bear with me. :)

EDIT: @Stnylan: Yes, this will change fast.

Just wanted to chime in and say I am following this as well. I only played Diplomacy once years ago (I think it was on Amiga.. wow.. old), so I can't really comment that much on the strategy. But I think I've gathered enough on the rules of troops movement and such, that I kind of think Austria is about to get royaly .. hmm.. err.. something.. by Turkey, even if the Russians do stay out of it.

EDIT: Can the Budapest army offer support to an attack on Serbia from Albania? I mean, they both border Serbia, but they don't border eachother.

You mean the Bulgaria army? If so, yes, it could offer support to an attack on Serbia.

Hurry! If you move fast enough you can destroy Italy and save the Austrians! You know you want to! Now help them!

Austria is in a really bad position, and it looks like Russia is going to have the most to gain from it's demise. You should counter that power grab by taking Germany, Italy, and Britain. It is only fair.

wilcoxchar: Fall 1902: ...

Britain: ..ENC F to BEL, BEL F to HOL..
Germany: HOL A to BEL, RHU A S BEL to HOL..

Britain: Keegan has appeared to diverge his attention toward Germany for the moment, and has done nothing but succeed in trading supply centers in the Low Countries.* Although for now I don't have to worry about a British attack via Belgium.

Germany: Elias's attack on Belgium was a good one, except that he didn't count on a British attack on Holland.* He doesn't appear to be headed after me which is a good sign, but the retreat from Denmark was a risky move for him.

* illegal move... \ wilcoxchar

i like your analysis! ! :D

i would describe the "attacks" as legal. however, the resolution is illegal ! ! :wacko: is something wrong with the Diplomacy code? ? or, are you playing this on a board (game) ? ?

on the first "illegal" move, i understood that the move was illegal, but did not realize the the "resolution" carried out the illegal move. but, this turn clearly shows that the resolution is/was illegal... :eek:

ahhhhh, a most excellent update ! ! :cool:

@Ghostwriter: We were playing the board game version that my dad has from 1976. (he has been collecting board games since college) I didn't know that what we did was illegal until I was trying to perform the move in the computer game. :p It didn't resolve the move how we had resolved it, so I decided to look in the board game rules to see if we had done something wrong and we had! Oh well, next time I'll know better. :D

wilcoxchar: @Ghostwriter: We were playing the board game version that my dad has from 1976.

many thanks for the information ! ! that explains it ! ! IIRC, my first copy of Diplomacy was (also) a 1976 copy from Avalon Hill Game Company. :)

i have since acquired a 1960 copy of Diplomacy, reportedly the same edition that was played by President Kennedy and some of his high ranking officials ! ! :cool:

As I had to chance the link to the rules in my own AAR, I though I could give it to you too. This place do not lack rules. Do not click the first link though as I those ruels was different. It states early draft of the rules. Putting a link in the first post would be good.

First post edited to include a link to rules page as provided by Snake IV.

Shit. I can't tell very well what happens next and I don't think anyone who played the game can help me so unfortunately I'm going to have to put this AAR on hold and possibly abandon it. :(

Thank you all for following, and I hope I can get another AAR up soon. I'm having another face-to-face Diplomacy day on the 21st of December so I could possibly make an AAR from that.

Aw. :( Too bad.

Hoping you do that other AAR though. This time it maybe will be more according to the rules.

That is a great shame. Hopefully, as you say, another AAR may follow.

wilcoxchar: Shit. I can't tell very well what happens next and I don't think anyone who played the game can help me so unfortunately I'm going to have to put this AAR on hold and possibly abandon it. :(

bummer. this AAR was a keeper ! ! :D

*sigh* cursed snow has forced me to cancel the Diplomacy day today, so unfortunately I can't do another Diplo AAR yet. Three people couldn't come due to snow and the fact that they don't have cross country skis. :p