• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes, Austria's situation looks entirely unenviable.

Time for another update.

Build 1901:

1901_Build.jpg

Britain: LON F, EDI F
France: PAR A, MAR F
Germany: BER A, KIE A
Italy: NAP F
Austria: VIE A
Turkey: CON A, SMY F
Russia: MOS A, STP A

Britain: Keegan's building up his naval power which could mean a convoy of his army in Wales later on or it could mean he's planning to just overpower Elias and me with naval supremacy. Whatever it is, I need to get another navy in Brest, soon.

France: I got a fleet in Marseilles so I could possibly make an offensive against Italy in the near future, but I still need to guard against a naval attack from Keegan or an unlikely offensive by Elias.

Germany: Two armies. He's definitely not worried about Keegan, so he's probably building up for an attack on Russia or Austria. Or me. I'll have to wait and see.

Italy: A navy in Naples. Danny's probably going to be guarding against a Turkish naval offensive, but it doesn't look like he's planning on attacking anyone anytime soon. This hesitancy could lead to his downfall.

Austria: Sam seems to be aware of his undefended Russian flank and is preparing to defend it. Either that or he's going for an offensive against Germany. If he does I could probably get some territory.

Turkey: Thomas looks like he's going for a naval offensive to the west and a land offensive in the Balkans. He has left his Russian front in Armenia disturbingly open, however, and could face problems if Marshall takes that advantage.

Russia: Marshall appears to be setting up an attack on Germany's eastern front, which for now is dangerously left open. If that happens then I'm afraid there may be nothing to stop the Russian steamroller from taking all Europe.

Last edited:
Looks like things will hinge on Austria and Germany.

Looks like Austria might get ripped apart by attacks from Russia and Turkey (whether they co-ordinate or not might buy time) leaving Germany even more exposed. Maybe Britain/Italy will jump Russia/Turkey. (I know the game's already been played but those are my hopes)

wilcoxchar: ..(01 builds)
Britain: LON F, EDI F
France: PAR A, MAR F
Germany: BER A, KIE A
Italy: NAP F
Austria: VIE A
Turkey: CON A, SMY F
Russia: MOS A, STP A
... / wilcoxchar

looks like some good builds. also, good analysis! ! :D

excellent update! !
:cool:

Thanks guys.

looks like some good builds. also, good analysis!
Thank you very much, I do try to give the moves a good strategic analysis and try to disregard hindsight (which is pretty easy since the game was a week ago :D ).

Britain: Keegan's building up his naval power which could mean a convoy of his army in Wales later on or it could mean he's planning to just overpower Elias and me with naval supremacy. Whatever it is, I need to get another navy in Brest, soon.

Tell me, when is it a good idea NOT to build up naval power as Britain??? But I do agree that more naval power is a good idea as France to counter the British.

France: I got a fleet in Marseilles so I could possibly make an offensive against Italy in the near future, but I still need to guard against a naval attack from Keegan or an unlikely offensive by Elias.

The situation between you, Germany, and Britain isn't looking very favorable at this moment. I would suggest cancelling any ideas of invasion of Italy and instead try to join them in a non-aggresion pact. That way they can deal with their problems in Austria and Turky and you can deal with your own problems in Germany and Britain. We'll see what happens...

Germany: Two armies. He's definitely not worried about Keegan, so he's probably building up for an attack on Russia or Austria. Or me. I'll have to wait and see.

Germany has lots of power, but he could go in any direction right now. It's hard to tell. I'd definately watch out for them though.

And Germany's East Front isn't all that bad. It's two border provinces with Russia aren't SCs and so if Russia was to try anything foolish Germany would have all the warning he needs to counter it without any real loss.

Italy: A navy in Naples. Danny's probably going to be guarding against a Turkish naval offensive, but it doesn't look like he's planning on attacking anyone anytime soon. This hesitancy could lead to his downfall.

Well he could use that fleet to force is way into the Ionian Sea, and with that he could at the very least harass the Turks in Greece and elsewhere until more fleets arrive and give him complete dominance. I wouldn't say Italy is being very hesitant just yet. Wait for him to be in striking distance before you judge that.

Austria: Sam seems to be aware of his undefended Russian flank and is preparing to defend it. Either that or he's going for an offensive against Germany. If he does I could probably get some territory.

Austria is in a REALLY bad position... 2 open SCs bordering 2 very possible enemies...

And why exactly did he build the army in Vienna... the one SC that ISN'T threatened? Why not build it in Budapest? The only thing I can think of looking at that map is that he's going to foolishly try and invade Germany. I'd worry about the Balkans first myself, but we'll see just how that works out (if he's even trying it)

Turkey: Thomas looks like he's going for a naval offensive to the west and a land offensive in the Balkans. He has left his Russian front in Armenia disturbingly open, however, and could face problems if Marshall takes that advantage.

It's never a good idea to leave the Black sea open to Russia. That just might be the downfall of the Turks. Maybe he doesn't want a naval offensive in the West and simply wants to control the seas around the Balkans, thus reducing an Italian threat? Who knows, all I know is it will likely lead to a clash between the two, we'll see how it plays out.

Russia: Marshall appears to be setting up an attack on Germany's eastern front, which for now is dangerously left open. If that happens then I'm afraid there may be nothing to stop the Russian steamroller from taking all Europe.

If Russia did manage to take Germany right now than I would have to agree that nothing can stop them. If Germany can't stop them nothing can. I'm willing to bet that Germany would be able to stop them though (or at least stall them for long enough while the rest of the world cuts Germany up and eats it).

Looking at the map I also see a posibility for an attack on Norway. I don't know Rusio-British relations right now, but I'm just saying it's possible... we'll see... I doubt they want to cause tension on all their borders, so they'll likely either ignore their opportunity in the Black Sea, or they'll be content with their current holdings in Sweeden.

Anyway... great AAR... looking forward to more updates... and now I must leave before you descover my secret identity... *vanishes in cloud of smoke*

@Joeb: Thank you for your encouragement on my AAR, and thank everyone for their encouragement as well.

Anyway, back to business. Time for another update.

Spring 1902:

Spring_1902_move.jpg

Britain: LON F to ENC, BEL F to PIC, EDI F to NSE, NOR F H, WAL A H
France: PAR A to BUR, BRE A to PIC, POR F to MAO, MAR F to GLI, SPA A to MAR
Germany: BER A to SIL, MUN A S BER to SIL, KIE A to RHU, HOL A to BEL
Italy: VEN A to TYR, TUN F to WMS, NAP F to TYS, PIE A to MAR
Austria: VIE A H, ALB F to TRI, BOH A H, SER A H
Turkey: CON A S BUL, BUL A S GRE, SMY F to AEG, AEG F to GRE, GRE A to ALB
Russia: STP A H, MOS A to WAR, WAR A to GAL, BLA F S RUM, RUM A H, SWE F H

Britain: Keegan's attempted move into Picardy was probably a bad move for him because it told me that he was planning to invade me. He also moved into the English Channel and the North Sea, which could mean offensives against Germany and France.

France: With Iberia secured I moved to secure my defenses. In the future I need to get a fleet in Brest to be able to defeat the British fleet in the English Channel, but that will require holding Brest undefended at the end of a fall phase. While holding out against Britain, Italy is probably my best bet for my next offensive.

Germany: Elias has obviously noticed his relatively open eastern front and the possibility of an Austro-Russian alliance. The move to Silesia is a good one as he can protect Munich while planning an offensive to the east. I'm not sure why he attacked Belgium now as it had no hopes of winning. The move into Ruhr is either a hint at a future attack on me or a move to assist a future attack on Belgium.

Italy: Danny has made some interesting moves this turn, using his navies to establish some control over the Western Mediterranean. His nove from Piedmont was not part of an agreement between him and me, so I can not trust him in the future. His move out of Venice was a bad one, as he has declared hostilities with Austria and left his supply center open for attack.

Austria: Hmmmm. I'm not sure what to make of Sam's moves, er, move. It was probably a good idea to abandon Albania as he needs to focus more on Italy with his navy, but his hesitance in guarding against Austria is a little concerning.

Turkey: Thomas is still ignoring Russia which suggests a Turko-Russian pact of some sort. His naval moves suggest he may be heading west to Italy while his land orders suggest he is heading in an offensive toward Austria. This should be interesting when things heat up.

Russia: Marshall seems to be focusing his efforts on his Austrian front while he appears to have made non-agression pacts with Germany and Turkey. He has missed his opportunity to take Norway, but that offer may still be open depending on what Keegan does next. I'm still a little scared of what would happen if he actually started going on the offensive.

Opinions from hindsight: Had I not defended Picardy this turn I probably could've taken it back in the fall and Elias would've gotten Belgium, thus making Keegan lose a supply center and disband an army. Unfortunately, however, Elias did not notify me of his planned move into Belgium so I didn't know he was going to do that.

Marshall definitely should've invaded Norway this turn, as in the fall Keegan would be able to defend it. Also if he had taken Norway, Marshall would have been able to defend it in the fall and keep it for the build phase. Combined with Elias's movement into Belgium, Keegan would have had to disband two units and all his gains over the previous year would be lost. This would have severely crippled him and could have lead to his downfall, but because of lack of communication and trust between us (I for some reason have a reputation of backstabbing my allies) this situation did not occur. :( ;)

Well, there's the update. Enjoy! :)

Last edited:
Austria's move indeed seems very strange. I would not be suprised if he is gone by Spring 1905. I can not agree with you upon the Russian German question. It is not usual that people move to Prussia or Silesia if they only have defence in mind, the lack of SC in those provinces should do well as buffert. When Germany and Russia gets in conflict it use to be in Scandinavia. If I was to defend my eastern border against Russia as Germany I would either make Berlin and Munich support eachother or self standoffs in Silesia. I also see it possible that Germany and England has talked with eachother. That plan might have been to move the army out of Belgium by fall. Anyway it looks to me that Germany goes dubble front with you and Austria.

Not looking good for France ATM. Britain and Italy both make aggresive moves towards you and no one is really in a position to distract them. Austria's similarly squeezed and Germany looks like it isn't quite sure what to do. This situation looks like a result of insufficient diplomacy. :p

I can not agree with you upon the Russian German question. It is not usual that people move to Prussia or Silesia if they only have defence in mind, the lack of SC in those provinces should do well as buffer.
Yeah, now that I look at it more I see that it's more likely a plan for an offensive against Austria than a defensive against Russia.

@VILenin: I only gave everyone 5 minutes for diplomacy each turn but I would think that would be enough. It seemed like everyone would talk to two or three people during each turn's diplomacy phase.

One more thing. Marhsall had been really annoying to me regarding diplomacy up until now, and this would continue throughout the game. It was really hard to figure out what he was planning, and I couldn't always determine it at times. I would talk to him or advise him on doing something and all he would say in either 'no' or 'I'll think about it'. :wacko:

5 min? That is what we have for the Paradox version playing, but then we should do the moves during that time too, and it is hardly enough. negotating IRL takes longer time then computer chat.

Austria is looking even more surrounded now than it was last turn.

wilcoxchar: ...Germany: ..KIE A to RHU, HOL A to BEL...Germany: ..I'm not sure why he attacked Belgium now as it had no hopes of winning. The move into Ruhr is either a hint at a future attack on me or a move to assist a future attack on Belgium.

did not your moves stymie both of Germany's moves? ? as well as the English move out of Belgium? ? :D that said, my read was that Germany was to take both the Ruhr and Belgium and then move west on the next turn from Belgium with support from the Ruhr... thus, placing two units in eastern France with support from England... ;)

wilcoxchar: ...(I for some reason have a reputation of backstabbing my allies)

interesting. i have a reputation of never backstabbing my allies. but, i also have a reputation of being hell on wheels if backstabbed ! ! :cool:

excellent update ! ! :)

Sorry about the lack of update the past couple days, some of the written orders for fall 1902 are confusing to me, and the person who wrote them has been gone the whole week.

things not looking well for France... should Italy and Germany/Britain both go against you you could be in a lot of trouble...

Yay, I talked to Elias and we determined what the fall orders were! Update coming soon. :)

And thank you all for posting, it is great to hear such feedback.

Ye Olde Update:

Fall 1902:

Fall_1902_move.jpg

Britain: NSE F S NOR, NOR F S NSE, ENC F to BEL, BEL F to HOL, WAL A H
France: BRE A to PIC, SPA A to GAS, MAO F to BRE, BUR A H, GLI F H
Germany: HOL A to BEL, RHU A S BEL to HOL, SIL S MUN, MUN S SIL, DEN F to KIE
Italy: PIE A to VEN, WMS F to TYS, TYS F to ION, TYR A H
Austria: BOH A to TYR, VIE A S BOH to TYR, TRI F to ADR, SER A H
Turkey: CON A S BUL, BUL A S GRE, ALB A S GRE, AEG F to ION, GRE F S AEG to ION
Russia: STP A H, WAR A H, GAL A H, RUM A H, BLA F H, SWE F H

Britain: Keegan has appeared to diverge his attention toward Germany for the moment, and has done nothing but succeed in trading supply centers in the Low Countries.* Although for now I don't have to worry about a British attack via Belgium.

France: This phase I decided to recall my armies from Iberia and continue to guard the northern French coast against an English attack. I'm not exactly sure where I should go from here.

Germany: Elias's attack on Belgium was a good one, except that he didn't count on a British attack on Holland.* He doesn't appear to be headed after me which is a good sign, but the retreat from Denmark was a risky move for him.

Italy: Danny tried to set up a defensive line in Venice/Tyrolia but failed in his defense of Tyrolia. His naval moves seem to be in anticipation of a Turkish attack. Overall, his land forces and his naval forces are not connected with each either which could lead to his demise.

Austria: Sam definitely has an alliance with Russia, as he is not concerned about them at all. He has managed to take Tyrolia back from Danny, but this has left his German front slightly open. If Sam can secure a non-aggression pact with Germany he could launch an invasion of Italy that would cripple him.

Turkey: Thomas has moved his navy west but other than that hasn't done anything. This could be a sign of a planned invasion of Italy but who knows?

Russia: Uhhhhh... Hmmmm. Marshall did nothing. I have no idea what he is planning, if anything. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what he does.

*Yet another illegal move that I didn't realize was illegal. At the time, I looked in the rules and didn't find anything on a special case if two armies attack each others' provinces, so I thought they'd just switch. Apparently, instead neither would move, but in this case the fleet in Belgium would've gotten dislodged because the attacking army had support.