• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

wilcoxchar

Field Marshal
98 Badges
Nov 15, 2004
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Diplomacy
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
This will be a AAR for a face-to-face Diplomacy game that I played with my friends last Friday. I had a day off of school, so I decided to do it. We had a lot of fun. Anyway, first update should come this weekend. I will be using P'dox Diplomacy's sandbox mode to show moves. (Yes, I saved everyone's list of moved orders) :p Only problem is I didn't save the build orders, so those will be guesses.

Only thing I need to work on is whether to use their real names or not (like it'll matter) and find out what everyone's actual plans were. Stay tuned for the first update!

EDIT: Here is a link to the rules for Diplomacy: Rules
I am using the 1976 version of the rules.

Last edited:
wilcoxchar: ...Stay tuned for the first update!

nice! ! looking forward to the AAR! ! :cool:

Should be interesting. A 7 person face-to-face Diplomacy game is something I've dreamed about but never been able to pull off. :(

Splendid. Someone who will keep things going when I am done. Put those orders on a safe place.

BTW, why don't you play Diplomacy by Paradox version? Things work good now, even if we are a small community.

I eagerly look forward to it.

Okay, I will be using their real names.

Now for the player roster.
Britain: Keegan
France: Charlie (me)
Germany: Elias (some of you may know him as Villamar on the forums and/or multiplayer)
Italy: Danny
Austria: Sam
Turkey: Thomas
Russia: Marshall

There we go. Now then, I will be posting the strategies for other countries from their perspective if I can get it and from my perspective or guessing when I can't. First update to come soon (hopefully later today).

Okay, here's the update.

Spring 1901:

Spring_1901_move.jpg

Move orders below
Britain: LON F to ENC, LIV A to WAL, EDI F to NSE
France: PAR A to BRE, BRE F to MAO, MAR A to SPA
Germany: BER A to KIE, KIE F to DEN, MUN A H
Italy: ROM A to VEN, VEN A to PIE, NAP F to TYS
Austria: VIE A to BOH, BUD A to SER, TRI F H
Turkey: CON A to BUL, ANK F to BLA, SMY A to CON
Russia: MOS A to UKR, SEV F to RUM, STP(sc) F to BOT

Perceived strategies:
Britain: Keegan's strategy appeared to be an early offensive against me as he moved his Liverpool army to Wales instead of the usual York. This was probably going to be a future convoy offensive against Brest if I ever left it undefended. His move into the North Sea was the usual so I did not pay attention to it.

France: My initial strategy was to secure Iberia and possibly Belgium to create a navy to fend off the English fleet. I did not perceive Germany as a threat because Elias and I had talked and he seemed to be receptive to a peaceful relationship. My main worry, therefore, was Keegan in Britain. I hoped to make friends with Germany and together we could counter Britain's navy.

Germany: Elias had apparently talked to Marshall in Russia and signed a non-aggression pact or something because all his troops movements were away from that front. Elias was focusing on getting at least a foothold in Scandanavia but seemed hesitant about the Low Countries.

Italy: Danny did the usual movement with the fleet in Naples moving it toward Tunis, although the move into the Tyrrhenian instead of the Ionian Sea was a slight surprise. He also appears to not trust me even though I had assured him I would not be invading him anytime soon. He has protected both his fronts but is also now threatening Marseilles. I will have to take care of that soon.

Austria: Sam has done the usual Austrian opening, although withholding the fleet in Trieste seems a bit strange. He has, however, opened himself to a wide offensive by Russia, but he has protected himself against Germany.

Turkey: The usual moves have been done, with Thomas attacking Bulgaria and moving into the Black Sea. He has also set up possible future expansion in the Balkans and has no threat from Italy in this region.

Russia: Marshall appears to be neglecting Scandanavia and Germany somewhat to focus on the Austrian front. He has also left Sevastopol open to an attack by Turkey, but he can probably defend it if war comes between them. The army in Warsaw is intriguing, as if Marshall is hesitant or unsure of who he wants to attack.

Last edited:
It looks like the eastern side of that map could get messy very quickly.

Yes, it does appear so. Looking back, I probably should've gone for Belgium to stop Britain, but I didn't want to lose Brest so soon.

You must provide the rules. I also forgot about that and it took some updates before I gave them good site where the rules where, provided by Paradox acctually. Thier Diplomacy site has been put down for some reason so you have to find another.

Ah...

wilcoxchar...

France isn't in the best of positions at the moment.

I'll be watching...

If, in the course of this game, you attack Austria, I will have to take my vengence out on Spain at a later date. :p

Here is a (very) brief decription of the rules copied from Wikipedia. If anyone has any questions about the moves and can't find the answer in here, ask and I will try to explain as best I can.

Diplomacy is turn-based - movement turns, alternately designated "Spring" and "Fall" moves, by convention begin in the year 1901. Prior to each movement phase, there is a negotiation period in which players entice, wheedle, bluff, cajole, and threaten each other in an attempt to form favorable partnerships. Secret negotiations and secret agreements are explicitly allowed, but no agreements of any kind are enforceable. A player is not bound to anything he says during the negotiation period.

Btw, I have no idea whether Marshall and Elias signed a non-aggression pact there, but it seems that way from the moves.

Also, all the statements in the above are my guesses, as I could not get the real strategies. :D

ok, time for the second update.

Fall 1901:

Fall_1901_move.jpg

Britain: WAL A H, ENC F to BEL, NSE F to NOR
France: BRE A H, SPA A to MAR, MAO F to POR
Germany: KIE A to HOL, DEN F H
Italy: PIE A to MAR, VEN A H, TYS F to TUN
Austria: BOH A H, SER A H, TRI F to ALB
Turkey: BUL A to GRE, CON A to BUL, BLA F to AEG*
Russia: UKR A to RUM, RUM F to BLA, BOT F to SWE

Britain: Keegan is being strangely passive this phase. He has gained a supply center in Norway and one in Belgium but he did not convoy his army from Wales. He is probably just trying to scare me and instead wants to focus on gaining supply centers in Scandanavia. However, I must watch out for that navy in Belgium in case he decides to move it west along the coast to Picardy.

France: Continuing my strategy I have moved my navy to Portugal and kept my army in Spain. I told my army in Brest to hold in case of an attack by Britain, but it didn't occur. Danny and I had made an agreement that he would attack Marseilles and I would move to Marseilles to keep everyone thinking that he and I were enemies while not really doing anything.

Germany: Once again Elias ignores his wide open eastern front and secures the western one. I found out that he and Keegan made an agreement where Elias would get Holland and Keegan would get Belgium. This scared me a little bit, as I would have to watch out for an attack from Keegan on the continent as well as from the Channel.

Italy: As per the agreement between me and Danny he has attacked Marseilles. He has also secured the relatively safe supply center of Tunis, which will help him against Austria.

Austria: Not much going on here, except that Sam finally moved his fleet. He has moved it to Albania though, which leads me to believe future conflict between him and Thomas in Turkey over Greece and perhaps Bulgaria.

Turkey: Thomas has gained another Balkan supply center without conflict, but has evacuated the Black Sea*. He has left himself open to a Russian naval assault, which would cripple him. He seems to be more worried about Sam and Austria. This probably means a non-agression pact between Turkey and Russia, which could spell trouble for Austria.

Russia: Typical movement in the north, but some interesting moves in the south. Moving the fleet to the Black Sea while still holding Romania is an ambiguous move. He could be planning to backstab Turkey if they made a deal, or could be setting up a large offensive against Austria. We shall have to watch this conflict, as the outcome might affect us.

*I did not motice his move to the Aegean Sea and at the time did not realize it was illegal. I may do that from time to time during this game, and those moves will not be shown on the screen.

Last edited:
wilcoxchar: ...2nd..

Britain: WAL A H, ENC F to BEL, NSE F to NOR
France: BRE A H, SPA A to MAR, MAO F to POR
Germany: KIE A to HOL, DEN F H
Italy: PIE A to MAR, VEN A H, TYS F to TUN
Austria: BOH A H, SER A H, TRI F to ALB
Turkey: BUL A to GRE, CON A to BUL, BLA F to AEG*
Russia: UKR A to RUM, RUM F to BLA, BOT F to SWE

*I did not notice his move to the Aegean Sea and at the time did not realize it was illegal. I may do that from time to time during this game, and those moves will not be shown on the screen.
/wilcoxchar

that was very sly, writing an illegal move! ! :D

most excellent updates! ! :cool:

for those not familiar with the game, all provinces/ sea zones have official three letter abbreviations, usually the first three letters of the name of the province/ sea zone. the exceptions are those provinces which have the same first three letters: these are usually sea zones.

each player has two types of units: army and navy. an army may only occupy a land province. a fleet may only occupy a sea zone or a coastal province.

each fleet and each army may only move one province at a time (that is, to an adjacent province/ sea zone. the only exception to this is the convoy order, which allows a fleet to move an army over water. a convoy order may be of any length, but a fleet must be in each sea zone (between the present army location and the intended destination) and write a convoy order for the same army. note that different owners of fleets may participate in a convoy action.

that was very sly, writing an illegal move! !

yeah, although I doubt he realized it was an illegal move either.

Something about Italy in a good position against Austria...

Hell... it looks like EVERYONE is in a good position against Austria... though maybe he and Russia have something going on behind the Ottomans back?

So all I can say is... don't do anything to Austria... and have fun beating up the British...