• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

T. Hermil

Second Lieutenant
53 Badges
Feb 8, 2016
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Knights of Honor
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • BATTLETECH
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
so I remember during my last game that it was a lot of fun when Magyars invaded Pannonia and literally looted the hell out of everybody around me, leaving me in such a position of relative strenght...but in my current game I'm in year 907, the old man Arpad already died aged 60 and his sons just seem to be chilling in their original lands (they split'em up amongst 2 of his sons). They basically spent 40 years fighting pointless rivalry wars against other nomads and stuff, so the question is: what makes them click on the "cross the carpathians" option ? it is only available for a limited period of time, or only when Arpad is alive? Why aren't them coming to the party in the west?

I think they have to have less than a certain number of counties to get the option. Something like one or two less than they start with. And there is a cutoff date I'm pretty sure, but I can't remember what it is off the top of my head.

I think it needs to be at least year 895, less than 7 counties in realm, culture of ruler is old_hungarian.. And several other yes/no checks as well, it's a longer event chain with "prequel-events" and checks as well, but the event actually starting the physical migration event has an id of emf_magyar.3000 inside emf_magyar.txt. I always like to see the magyars form k_hungary, so I used to "force" the migration by console-switching to their neighbours, declaring and insta-winning (imprisonment through console) a couple of wars for some counties until they're small enough to begin the migration.

However, I'm not sure if the trigger mechanic for this has been changed a bit in some recent patch, because I seem to remember the migration happened almost instantly when they were first reduced to a small enough territory and then declaring one final war that they would then flee out of by migrating to the Carpathian Basin (this final war simulating, I believe, the Pecheneg "surprise invasion" that finally triggered the migration in full in ~895). There seems to be a "war=no" check right at the beginning of emf_magyar.3000 however, so I'm not sure if it works like that now. I guess you could just trigger the emf_magyar.3000 event through console for their chief if you want to make sure it happens, experimentation is your friend :)

Last edited:
yes, I think I now understand what may have happened...Arpad did a little too well against the pechenegs, upon his death, the lands got divided amongst 2 sons, and the smallest realm (that its still called hetumoger) has 9 counties in total, when it should be 7...gonna try buffing up the pechenegs and other neighbhoors, blessing them with luck, etc to see if they can finally push them to migrate...or just trigger the event and see what happens (if I remember correctly, with the horde they get, its like they just can't lose)

Hi, bumping this thread. Anyone knows if the invasions can trigger for the player? I'm past 895 and only have a couple of provinces and I haven't gotten any events, triggering emf_magyar.3000 dumps me 10k troops but that's it, nothing else. Can't go to war with Bulgaria. I'm playing HIP with just EMF, no SWMH. Thanks for the help.

Edit: I figured out what was wrong. There was an independent count and an independent duke in the middle of Pannonia, I used cheats as the Bulgarian king to vassalize them and the intrigue option that start the migration appeared.

Last edited:
i triggered the event manually, I actually triggered it for BOTH of Arpad's sons, they each took a chunk of pannonia, although only the first one got the horde. The one with the horde then converted, died and the other brother inherited both his lands and his horde. He seems to be quite more relaxed than in previous versions about looting the hell out of everybody around him, only raided the bulgarians so far.

I think it needs to be at least year 895, less than 7 counties in realm, culture of ruler is old_hungarian.. And several other yes/no checks as well, it's a longer event chain with "prequel-events" and checks as well, but the event actually starting the physical migration event has an id of emf_magyar.3000 inside emf_magyar.txt. I always like to see the magyars form k_hungary, so I used to "force" the migration by console-switching to their neighbours, declaring and insta-winning (imprisonment through console) a couple of wars for some counties until they're small enough to begin the migration.

However, I'm not sure if the trigger mechanic for this has been changed a bit in some recent patch, because I seem to remember the migration happened almost instantly when they were first reduced to a small enough territory and then declaring one final war that they would then flee out of by migrating to the Carpathian Basin (this final war simulating, I believe, the Pecheneg "surprise invasion" that finally triggered the migration in full in ~895). There seems to be a "war=no" check right at the beginning of emf_magyar.3000 however, so I'm not sure if it works like that now. I guess you could just trigger the emf_magyar.3000 event through console for their chief if you want to make sure it happens, experimentation is your friend :)
In my game Arpad die at 29yrs because of murderer. If I play as his grandson, could I create his bloodline ?