• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Swarm lover

Major
22 Badges
Sep 27, 2016
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • BATTLETECH
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Dungeonland
So been playing a for a while and kind of curious how people tend to play the game. Are you a backstabber that takes what he wants no matter what, are you a loner who only fights?

I tend to be a friend seeker even when I play the determined exterminators. I try to make a few buddies if the civics permit it (even one if thats all i have) and I will stay loyal to the them even if i could get some good out of betraying them and taking what system i coveted. Like one exterminator play through I had literally wiped out most of the galaxy but there were like 2 machine empires left, I tried making friends with them but sadly they didnt appreciate my genocidal tendencies. I was forced to destroy one while the other was integrated by another empire who proceed to begin dismantling the robot population, so of course I declared war and saved as many as i could.

Another playthrough were I was playing an empire that made everyone vassals, the prethoryn showed up and at that time a primitive species actually formed and empire, they came to ask to be made a protectorate. The prethoryn were right at their doorstep so i threw everything i had to hold the line, I had no real gain from doing so but I just couldn't bring myself to let them down.

If someone betrays me I tend to be very unforgiving and vindictive not stopping until I thoroughly stomped that empire out. I might be able to forgive if it wasn't too drastic. One example was when an ai broke its defensive pact with me after undergoing some ethics change and me gaining a lot of threat, they declared war and during the war Bubbles my pet amoeba is killed as i was moving her to a safe system.

After that I switched to all out war and kept attacking that empire until there was nothing left, any citizens of that empire was reduced to slavery. I ended the empire by using the colossus with the shield generator just to make them watch from their prison.

So yeah what kind of players are you guys?

• 3Like
Reactions:
Does integrating a protectorate into species-wide slavery count as "backstabbing"? I've done that.

Totally agree about going full-murder on someone who killed Bubbles.

How I play the game really varies from run to run. I always RP my runs, so I make decisions based on the personality of my empire rather than what's actually considered optimal. When I design a new empire to play, I often spend a great deal of time working out the lore of the species beforehand. That's why I absolutely loved it when they added the origins feature to the game.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I... don't do any of that.

I usually try get a non-aggression pact or defensive pact with at least one of my neighbors while i build as many starbases as i can, as quickly as i can. Usually by the time i've filled out all my space my tech is superior to everyo e else, then i build a strong fleet and start attacking each neighbor in turn, mostly to try and get better choke points / wormholes / gateway access.

My only limiting factor is usually my influence.

Reactions:
I mostly RP.

But to be honest, even in character, there are situation your own empires cause is more important then anything else.

Even as a friendly, peaceloving species, I may have to play aggresive to prevent an enemy to become too strong. I may have to backstab my ally when he becomes a danger himself by get too powerful or if he betrays the greater good due ethic shift. Or maybe he took a important system right before I could claimed it with a starbase.

Even the 'good' western world have to use bad methodes to keep its place on this planet.

A lawfull good empire like the Star Trek Federation would a) never come true or b) would never survive for long ;)

I like dispolers because I can go very tall siphoning pop/slaves all over the galaxy with a ton of vassals as road blocks surrounding my borders. I also like purifiers for the raw ship power and economic advantages they posses, plus they completely negate buggy parts of the game (diplomacy & claims).

I tend to be a friend seeker even when I play the determined exterminators. I try to make a few buddies if the civics permit it (even one if thats all i have) and I will stay loyal to the them even if i could get some good out of betraying them and taking what system i coveted.

That gives me the coolest idea for a playthrough. DE who goes ham in the earlygame before slowing down and fortifying in the midgame, waiting to support any machine rebellion that happens in the galaxy.

As for the question, I'm a RP'er. Which means I play the same empire over and over again because creating namelists is a pain.

I leave the pet amoeba in orbit of Earth until it becomes a centenarian. Has never died yet. As for the OP's topic, I usually play UNE since that's my preferred playstyle.

Reactions:
The type who swears he won't rush his first AI neighbour right away, and then does it anyway.

No matter what ethics, civics, government, traits I play, I always end up being a determined exterminator.

I am a map painter. Every star must be mine!!!!

I pretty much totally ignore alliances, federations, all that diplomacy crap, and just keep expanding. I may have some alliances early in the game while I'm establishing my empire, but will eventually eat them too.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Achievement hunter/completionist. I’m aiming to complete the game 100%. But I prefer to win my achievements organically, in that I usually don’t optimize my initial conditions for earning them; instead, I aim for them when an opportunity presents itself. I’ve cheesed very few achievements in the 1.3k hours I’ve played so far.

Once I run out of achievements to win, or if I‘m playing MP, though, I prefer to act according to my empire’s personality and flavor.

Last edited:
I play 95%+ of my games diplomatically (often RP too). An early federation (most of the time a hegemony or a trade federation, established with gifts and the use of favors) as well as good diplomatic standing to my neighbours for my protection (if possible) is always my way. Then i try to get full control over the senate with buying favors and as many envoys as possible (diplomatic corps is always a pick for me) to convince more empires to join my fed. In the endgame i'm always the strongest diplomatic power in the galaxy and because of a well designed federation fleet (along with my allies and a smaller own fleet) strong enough to beat the crisis and annoying genocidals.

Empires that are agressive towards me or my fed members that can't be convinced to join my cause by diplomatic measures, or at least stay neutral, are brought into fold by a "join or die" or "liberation" war. Actually my playthrough always ends after defeating the crisis. In the future it will end after establish a galactic empire and defeating the crisis. Anyways i try to fight as few wars as possible, because each war i have to fight myself is a loss to my playstyle. The only notable exeption to this is if a second fallen empire awake (that most likely rival another). Then i'll attack one of them as soon as possible to prevent a war in heaven, because that would most likely destroy my fed, even a hegemony and thats by far the most annoying event in the game.

Espionage will be a HUGE deal to me in the near future and i will focus on that in the same way i do on diplomacy. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. If neccessary, the friend of my enemy will become his enemy and my friend. If possible i will generate proxy wars as well as distrust between two empires so they fight each other and i can at least convince one of them in the end to join my cause. I only miss the option to influence two empires in a positive way to like each other. Maybe we will see something like this in the future.

Last edited:
I tend to play warmongering conquest-focused nations - Driven Assimilators in particular. I also tend to colonize a lot of planets, more than most people are willing to do if the forums are representative.