What is your opinion on the map expansion?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Offtop but related to map and I'd like to know – is the Caspian Sea sailable for non-Norse? CK2 treated it as a river to avoid AI behaving weirdly with ships, but now that ships are basically appearing whenever an army enters a sea tile, it shouldn't be much a problem.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Good day to all. This is my first time on this forum and I have a question for the developers. The game looks amazing, I understand that I will sit in this masterpiece for a long time. And the actual question. Can we expect to expand the map all the way to Japan? Just imagine it. Your game will become a real collection of cultures and religions. The replay value will be the highest. I understand that it may take a long time, but this is my dream. What do you guys think about this?

If possible, it would be great, yes. But performance needs to come first.

Reactions:
It would be amazing but if there are no mechanics for the Byzantines how they would represent China for example? Its soemthing i would love to see but if it must be the same as playing England...

For that matter, before developing unique mechanics for Byzantium. One might as well develop mechanics for England so that it isn't a discount Medieval France.

For that matter, France could get some mechanics so that it is not a discount Medieval France, but actual Medieval France.

• 8Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
For that matter, before developing unique mechanics for Byzantium. One might as well develop mechanics for England so that it isn't a discount Medieval France.

For that matter, France could get some mechanics so that it is not a discount Medieval France, but actual Medieval France.
Nah, Byzantium is more important as it occupied a huge portion of the map and it's much less accurate than both France and England. After the ERE is fixed should only come any English or French flavour.

Reactions:
Nah, Byzantium is more important as it occupied a huge portion of the map and it's much less accurate than both France and England. After the ERE is fixed should only come any English or French flavour.

I mean, England is basically required to have duchies, despite the fact that they did not exist and most of the land was owned by the king. And Anglo-Saxon England had a pretty complex bureaucracy. England is at least as far from being accurate as Byzantium is.

Reactions:
I mean, England is basically required to have duchies, despite the fact that they did not exist and most of the land was owned by the king. And Anglo-Saxon England had a pretty complex bureaucracy. England is at least as far from being accurate as Byzantium is.
No, you are totally not required to have duchies.

Reactions:
Let us not get ahead of ourselves.
Firstly I want to see how the game fares performance wise, then, we can talk about map expansions.
As cool as it would be to have CK3 span over the whole globe, I still can clearly remember the map expansion in RoI. That's a nightmare I don't want to live through again.
Besides, there'd be gameplay problems too. So, at the moment, it's a no from me.
From what I have seen from already present gameplay the games a f*cking monster on speed 5, you dont need to worry the devs did a good job (unless you have some 2011 laptop/pc but then why are u buying games in the first place tbh)

Reactions:
Alright, for the people who dont want to beleive that CK3 seems to run much faster than CK2. Heres a part of a video showing off speed 5 at a 1066 start.

Somewhere in between 2 to 2.5 months a second. And i dont think the youtuber hypothetically having the best processor possible is enough to explain that kind of performance, as i cant recall anyone having performance close to that in CK2. Does anyone currently breezes through 2 months every second on game start in CK2?

Last edited:
  • 8Love
Reactions:
From what I have seen from already present gameplay the games a f*cking monster on speed 5, you dont need to worry the devs did a good job (unless you have some 2011 laptop/pc but then why are u buying games in the first place tbh)
CK2 ran smoothly in the beginning too, then came the many expansions, and with RoI performance got to an all time low.

I expect the game to run smoothly at the beginning. But I also expect that the performance gets worse with every expansion Pdox releases, and that is absolutely normal. The more stuff a game has to process, the greater the impact on performance. The thing that no one, neither of us, nor of Pdox, can estimate is, how big this impact will be.

And I think it would be ill advised to talk about a map expansion, or to encourage them to do one, as long as we don't know for sure, the performance of the game can take it. I don't say there should never be talk about a map expansion, at least not yet. I say, let us wait a bit and see how the performance developes after the first two or three real expansions.

I mean, CK3 isn't even released yet. Be patient, and wait how it developes. To say that performance wouldn't, or can't, be an issue is, at this point in time, just naive.
Maybe there won't be a performance issue with a map expansion. But tell me, remembering RoI, and the hit on performance it had back then, are you willing to risk this again? Without further knowledge of how performance developes with more content? Well, I wouldn't. I'd rather live with a smaller map (wich is pretty big already), and a good performance, than a bigger map and no performance to speak of.

Like I said, I am not against a map expansion. I am against a map expansion, as long as I can't estimate how big its impact on performance could be. And at this point in time I can't estimate a thing. A stream from the devs isn't a source for any estimation. Its just advertisement, nothing else, and everyone would be well advised to keep that in mind. We don't no what kind of PC they used, could be a standard toaster, or it could be a high performance server. We don't know. So take everything you see or hear from the devs with a grain of salt. Once we see how the game fares, we can talk about a map expansion, and if performance isn't an issue, I'll be the first one to say yes. But until then, it is, and will remain, a no.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It isn't even a practical speed. In CK2 at the highest speed you pause every now and then because new plots keep being uncovered, new prisoners are taken who must be moved to house arrest in order not to die randomly, and so on. Even if game slowed down thricely it would still nearly be a whopping one month per second.

Reactions:
Guys, all I do is to say that you should wait how things develop. I don't know whats so bad about that. Hell, the game isn't even released yet. You're like spoiled little brats. Screaming for new content, without even being able to play the game yet.
For god's sake! Just. Wait.
I am not(!) against a map expansion at some point. But it sure as hell is to early to talk about that now.
For one, there are many things from CK2 still missing, and for two, I'm pretty sure Pdox has the next few DLCs already planned, and you can bet your Grandmother, that a map expansion will not be part of that planning. Maybe in a year or two, but definitly not off the bat.

And for all I know, Paradox has a pretty impressive track record in screwing things up. So yes, speed 5 may be pretty fast now, at least on Pdoxs systems. But one little error in a patch, or a miscalculation regarding the performance hit of a new feature, and all that can and, knowing Paradox, will make puff.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Guys, all I do is to say that you should wait how things develop. I don't know whats so bad about that. Hell, the game isn't even released yet. You're like spoiled little brats. Screaming for new content, without even being able to play the game yet.
For god's sake! Just. Wait.
I am not(!) against a map expansion at some point. But it sure as hell is to early to talk about that now.
For one, there are many things from CK2 still missing, and for two, I'm pretty sure Pdox has the next few DLCs already planned, and you can bet your Grandmother, that a map expansion will not be part of that planning. Maybe in a year or two, but definitly not off the bat.

And for all I know, Paradox has a pretty impressive track record in screwing things up. So yes, speed 5 may be pretty fast now, at least on Pdoxs systems. But one little error in a patch, or a miscalculation regarding the performance hit of a new feature, and all that can and, knowing Paradox, will make puff.
I think this ship has sailed a long time ago. The broken edge of the new map tell us that it is definitely 100% will be expanded. That is like a core decision that they probably made a long time ago. I don't know us agreeing on whether the game should expand matter at all at this point.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Wow, that's a nice catch about the game speed. Before I would have thought there was no way we were getting east Asia in the game but if it runs like that at release it's plausible.

• 1Like
Reactions:
CK2 ran smoothly in the beginning too, then came the many expansions, and with RoI performance got to an all time low.

Yeah, the many expansions that added more and more mean-time-to-happen events. Something that CK3 discarded which obviously leads to extreme performance upgrades (removing MTTH events from CK2 also leads to huge performance gains, but the game is reliant on those type of events so its not really playable) Will performance slow down with expansions? Sure, but not because the game has to account for thousands of new events it has to check every single month for tens of thousands of characters.

Reactions:
Yeah, the many expansions that added more and more mean-time-to-happen events. Something that CK3 discarded which obviously leads to extreme performance upgrades (removing MTTH events from CK2 also leads to huge performance gains, but the game is reliant on those type of events so its not really playable) Will performance slow down with expansions? Sure, but not because the game has to account for thousands of new events it has to check every single month for tens of thousands of characters.
We'll get other mechanics though, which will take processing time. And adding characters, even if they don't trigger MTTH events, still comes with a noticeable cost in performance. They still have to calculate their opinions of every other character, debate whether or not to kill/seduce them, and decide on whether or not to take whatever decisions they have available (such as holding a feast or going on a pilgrimage). Not to mention new mechanics like renegotiating a vassal contract or deciding whether to forge/use a hook.

I'd also be hesitant to take videos run on systems the game has been designed on and tested for as typical of the game experience for everyone running all sorts of different hardware.

• 2Like
Reactions:
And you think these events are just executed by some kind of magic? Just because there is no MTTH doesn't mean that the replacement isn't going to negatively effect performance at some point.

Reactions:
I remember when these threads popped up when CK II was in development too.
I remember when these threads popped up when CK I was in development too.

• 1Love
Reactions: