What is one feature you think should be free?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sunsteel

Colonel
35 Badges
Jul 20, 2021
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Darkest Hour
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Stellaris
For me it's the Diplo macrobuilder, when I got Mandate of Heaven it changed how I play (less clicking on nations to see if I can ally them).

• 3Like
Reactions:
Anything that is an integral part of gameplay and that has been there for a long time. That means almost anything except random world/new world, nation builder and artwork.

With an option to turn off the most unrealistic things, like monuments in a few years.

Reactions:
Anything that is an integral part of gameplay and that has been there for a long time. That means almost anything except random world/new world, nation builder and artwork.

With an option to turn off the most unrealistic things, like monuments in a few years.
Also it would be cool if Paradox paid us money every time we played EU 4.

• 13Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Also it would be cool if Paradox paid us money every time we played EU 4.

I’m talking about integrating old expansions to the base game, instead of having a gazillion expansions. Its a suggestion which amounts to make (core) expansions early access packs.

Reactions:
Retinues.

Oh wait, this isn't Crusader Kings 2.

To me, the biggest reason for a feature to be part of the base-game is so that future mechanics can interact with it. For example, development and estates.

By that logic, the first thing that comes to mind is ruler personalities and the consort mechanics. Except that, not only is this not Crusader Kings 2, it's not any of the other Crusader Kings games either.

So therefore... Trading companies, I guess.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
I’m talking about integrating old expansions to the base game, instead of having a gazillion expansions. Its a suggestion which amounts to make (core) expansions early access packs.
So basically just screw all the players who bought and own those old packs and make them free to everyone? Doesn't seem fair to me. Yeah maybe 1 or 2 super old packs that are cheap already eg Res Publica and Wealth of Nations but not the full blown expansions that people bought.

Reactions:
So basically just screw all the players who bought and own those old packs and make them free to everyone? Doesn't seem fair to me. Yeah maybe 1 or 2 super old packs that are cheap already eg Res Publica and Wealth of Nations but not the full blown expansions that people bought.
I can't imagine feeling screwed over because something I bought 5 years ago becomes free.

Reactions:
I can't imagine feeling screwed over because something I bought 5 years ago becomes free.
More like the people who bought them recently. If PDX just out of the blue made them free it would screw over so many people.

Also, packs that are super old, for example Conquest of Paradise, have recently received new updates to them, fleshing them out more, and in turn made more people buy them. So that wouldn't be a super friendly move to make those free either. I think the current situation is fine, the subscription system works for new players so I don't really see a massive need to incorporate DLC into the base game. Maybe once, or maybe IF, EU5 releases, then they can, but looking at CK2 that seems unlikely.

Reactions:
The idea is not to do it out of the blue, but to do it gradually. It could even give them some metric about how the experiment goes. Let’s say they announce that, in six months, any expansion released before 2019 will be free, will that stall the sales or will it be mostly the same?

Will the expectation that more recent releases will one day be free make people not buy them or will they still buy the “early access”?

As a proud owner of every EUIV expansions, including Golden Century, all the way to Emperor, I wouldn’t feel robbed at all if they became free after a reasonable warning.

Reactions:
I bought them a year ago and spent like 200 Euros.

How much time to make the expansion free after buying it do you feel would be acceptable if they ever tried this way?

One year seems to be too little. Though if they were to announce today that in six months they would be free, it Wouk’s be one year and a half.

Personally, I don’t feel like I would be robbed, even though I bought those expansions on release date. Maybe it’s different for everyone. To me buying those expansions was more a way yo support the company than something else. There were times when I played far less EUIV between expansions.

Reactions:
How much time to make the expansion free after buying it do you feel would be acceptable if they ever tried this way?

One year seems to be too little. Though if they were to announce today that in six months they would be free, it Wouk’s be one year and a half.

Personally, I don’t feel like I would be robbed, even though I bought those expansions on release date. Maybe it’s different for everyone. To me buying those expansions was more a way yo support the company than something else. There were times when I played far less EUIV between expansions.
I think it would be fair, when they release EUV.

I could agree that they could make some features available for everyone, if they were to get overhauled or improved. Maybe replaced with something else, like they did with development and estates.

Reactions: