• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
why is it being done for Eu2, whereas eu3 engine is more moddable and stronger ?
If it was the case, there would be no point... True for some aspects, wrong for others.

what's the difference ?
In few words: play style and historical immersion, especially with bundled AGCEEP mod (and other mods that will be ready at or after game release with different timeframes, maps and scenarios).

Read FTG dev diaries. EU3 and FTG are two differents paths for the same default timeframe. Logic and spirit are not the same.

Last edited:
why is it being done for Eu2, whereas eu3 engine is more moddable and stronger ?

what's the difference ?

Eu3 did not fit the taste of a lot of people. For example the 3D design was very criticized. And not all the new features in Eu3 found their supporters among Eu2 fans. This resulted in a situation, that a lot of people don't play Eu3 because they like Eu2 more, but they would want Eu2 be more moddable.
And so when Paradox Entertainment released Eu2 source code, a group of enthusiasts took the chance to improve the old good Eu2 and make the game they really want. FTG could be labeled as Eu2.5

Simply said: it's based on Eu2 because it's made by Eu2 lovers ;)
(And the fact that the released source code was of Eu2 plays also an important role :p )

I'd assume there'll be a score, but like any Paradox type game the goals are what you set for yourself.

Although I just remembered in EUII there was some kind of rank system where a message would say you were a Viscount or a Duke etc. I wonder if anything has been done with that? It was always nice to be promoted even though it had no real effect :)

Eu3 did not fit the taste of a lot of people. For example the 3D design was very criticized. And not all the new features in Eu3 found their supporters among Eu2 fans. This resulted in a situation, that a lot of people don't play Eu3 because they like Eu2 more, but they would want Eu2 be more moddable.
(...)

Right, but also EU3 have high system requirements, so old PC can't handle EU3.
However EU: Rome have different design and is much better I think (also Rome mod for EU2 looks great).

Coulple things that was better in EU3 was the losing and gaining core after x years and the national ideas, will they be introduced in FTG?

This is good question - maybe something similar in further patches to FTG - who knows ?

And so when Paradox Entertainment released Eu2 source code, a group of enthusiasts took the chance to improve the old good Eu2 and make the game they really want. FTG could be labeled as Eu2.5

Simply said: it's based on Eu2 because it's made by Eu2 lovers ;)
(And the fact that the released source code was of Eu2 plays also an important role :p )

it didnt taste anything at all with me too because

a) map was horrible, scrappy
b) music was generic, redundant

and these were killing the atmosphere. i didnt play it for 2years after i got it.

but then i installed totc map mod, which made the game a lot more appealing in terms of atmosphere. now i dont see any reason to continue with e2. only the 3d units are eye poking, but then again that can be somewhat tolerated.

so this ftg is a project that meshes agceep and various other mods and puts in some other stuff ?

EU3 and FTG are two differents paths for the same default timeframe. Logic and spirit are not the same.

Could you just give an example?
Actually Im new to the series, and started with EU3 complete, which I love, Playing with MMPII it is one of the best games ever made...
Would I like this one too? What do you think?

Could you just give an example?
Actually Im new to the series, and started with EU3 complete, which I love, Playing with MMPII it is one of the best games ever made...
Would I like this one too? What do you think?

what they say is the game will be more reliant on scripted events happening in a certain date and offering the player or the ai with various options, than a dynamic system creating decisions and results according to the socieconomic situation in the game at a given time.

therefore if an annexation of bohemia is scripted, it is going to happen nomatter what, from whatever options the scripter scripted.

ie, for example, bohemia wont be annexed to hannover instead, despite the situation in the game and rolls are more appropriate. if it is not scripted, its not allowed.

what they say is the game will be more reliant on scripted events happening in a certain date and offering the player or the ai with various options, than a dynamic system creating decisions and results according to the socieconomic situation in the game at a given time.

therefore if an annexation of bohemia is scripted, it is going to happen nomatter what, from whatever options the scripter scripted.

ie, for example, bohemia wont be annexed to hannover instead, despite the situation in the game and rolls are more appropriate. if it is not scripted, its not allowed.
You are not authorized to talk in place of the dev team especially for information you don't have access to.

And you either hacked into Yoda's computer or you pulled this out of your ass.

I'm going to guess the later option.

IMO it just seems that the game is rather promoted for EUII fans, and neglecting potential newcomers like me for example. Reading the dev diaries I got very interrested, because Im a fan of history and a fan of Paradox games, but dont really know what this game is about as I didnt play EUII
I would be very curious what does the game offer or why is it equal or better than EU III...

IMO it just seems that the game is rather promoted for EUII fans, and neglecting potential newcomers
It's sad but true.

but dont really know what this game is about as I didnt play EUII
I would be very curious what does the game offer or why is it equal or better than EU III...
It's too early to say FTG will be better than EU III.

IMO it just seems that the game is rather promoted for EUII fans, and neglecting potential newcomers like me for example. Reading the dev diaries I got very interrested, because Im a fan of history and a fan of Paradox games, but dont really know what this game is about as I didnt play EUII
Some answers to your question:

FTG is made for all players who want to act more as the Government of a country than an almighty god. Player takes important decisions (alliances and diplomatic relations, warfare, investments, exploration and colonization…) but he also has to deal with decisions and personality of the monarchs through centuries and adapt for the best of the country. Nothing is written in stone and a wise Government will play with History and take advantage of it or do what is to be done in order to change it.

Our goals is to provide historical situation but a player can change everything while playing. In this case, historical events out of context will simply never occur. Script engine has been greatly enhanced in order to provide better control of the situation in triggers.
All play styles are possible from role-playing countries to World conquest. The game proposes an historical trend but this far from rigid and many plausible alternatives are proposed in AGCEEP like England winning the Hundred Years War, China still open to the rest of the World and more exploration oriented, formation of Germany, etc. Player has a choice and can influence ruler’s decisions... but not always according to situation.
For the same reason, AI controlled countries will try to act historically but they will also adapt to the situation. The game also proposes different levels for AI choices in events from pure historical to fully random.