• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

slamelov

Recruit
Aug 24, 2006
Space Sci-Fi sims are a bit forgotten. Since I-War 2 Edge of Chaos, I have not seen a game which really owns me. X series are not bad, but the ship control is absolutely arcadish, not like I-War series, and the galaxy is like a grid.

I would like those things in a space sim:
- 3D cockpit, is it so difficult to model a cockpit for the ships?. For inmersion, you know...
- Cooperative multiplayer campaign
- Newtonian Physics, at least as an option
- Multicrew in multiplayer
- Manual docking system as an option
- Damage model

Such of things...

I know that Dark Horizons will not offer none of these options, but I would like it.

Regards

slamelov said:

When you say Newtonian Physics, what do you mean then?
(And hey, why not Relativity.. I'd like to see a game that includes time dilation as a factot ;))

Nikolai II said:
When you say Newtonian Physics, what do you mean then?
(And hey, why not Relativity.. I'd like to see a game that includes time dilation as a factot ;))

I mean the objects in space have inertia and such of things. Newton main movement laws are:

Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it.

The relationship between an object's mass m, its acceleration a, and the applied force F is F = ma. Acceleration and force are vectors (as indicated by their symbols being displayed in slant bold font); in this law the direction of the force vector is the same as the direction of the acceleration vector.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

So, the movement in Space is not like Xwing games, it's more like I-War series. The ships have inertia and does not fly like airplanes in the earth atmosphere beccause in space there is not atmosphere, air and there is not the same gravity. Frontier, I-War, Star Shatter are examples of Sci Fi sims with Newtonian physics.

Regards

slamelov said:
Space Sci-Fi sims are a bit forgotten. Since I-War 2 Edge of Chaos, I have not seen a game which really owns me. X series are not bad, but the ship control is absolutely arcadish, not like I-War series, and the galaxy is like a grid.

I would like those things in a space sim:
- 3D cockpit, is it so difficult to model a cockpit for the ships?
- Cooperative multiplayer campaign
- Manual docking system as an option
- Damage model

You should check out http://www.jumpgateevolution.com

1. Its HUD is in Flash, so there will be community-build interfaces.
2. Much is PVP, but you can group in Squads and Fleets to cooperatively do some of the more difficult jobs, like take out a battle station, or fight pirates, (or be pirates.)
3. Almost-Newtonian physics (there is a top speed)
4. No multi-crew.
5. Manual docking away from the core stations.
6. No special damage, just shields and armor.
But it's KB/Mouse, or Joystick, or Gamepad. No auto-aim/auto-fly. All skill.

Sounds like what you need.

Take a look at http://starwraith3dgames.home.att.net/go.htm and try the demos for Evochron Renegade and Arvoch Conflict while you wait (Jumpgate Evolution is months from completion). Indie games, but both are excellent. Any developers of space combat games would do well to check out the spaceship control system used in both games, it's the best I've ever come across (joystick, gamepad or two styles of mouse control.

Jumpgate Evolution is out?.
Ill give it a try. But it's from Codemasters... I don't know, Codemasters is ot a good publisher.
My favourite space sims are I-War series, Elite, Frontier and Privateer. May be Tomorrow War be the game I'm looking for.

Hertston, I have also Evochron Renegades.