• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

enkidu136

First Lieutenant
26 Badges
Mar 17, 2018
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Age of Wonders III
  • BATTLETECH
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
EDIT: seems to be a bug, that disables some government mechanics for Veche Republics, propably dependent on DLC-status

„Third Rome“ xpac introduced this type of government as a free feature. Never played one before, and I wonder, what happened? There are no changes in the patch notes, following third rome. :confused:

20 stated provinces limit:
Its even listed in the popup overview, when starting a Novgorod campaign, and in the wiki as well. But it doesn't seem to apply. Even if I conquer some additional land (stated and cored) and don't count my capital state provinces (normally they also count, as stated in the quick answers thread), there is still no malus to republic tradition, when above 20 stated provinces.

„goods produced“ boni:
E. g. Venice, Lübeck, Genoa, give these boni to all provinces (friend or foe), if they have trade power in the respective trade node. However, Novgorod (and that second Veche Rep, forgot the name) doesn't give boni to any provinces (owned, hostile, or vassal). One can check by the popup in the according province overview screen bottom left, if one hovers over „goods produced“.

Regarding a YT-video by Arumba (Novgorod, Part 1, min. 47:45), an ingame popup for that type of government and the „goods produced“ bonus existed a year ago, but seems to have dissapeared? For Veche Republics, the wiki still states:

„Bonus goods production in non-owned provinces in a controlled trade node, proportional to percentage of trade controlled (e.g., non-owned provinces produce 50% bonus goods if the republic control 100% of trade in the node).“

Its the same text as for other merchant republics, except „all provinces“ is replaced by „non-owned“ provinces.

creating trade leagues and trade cities:
This is still working for Novgorod.

I was somewhat excited, to go for the „frozen assets“ achievement, but now it appears as a mere (not-so-easy) painting campaign. So why was this changed? o_O

Last edited:
Veche Republic bonuses are under Government bonuses 'Tier 1 Power Structure'

Uqc1xbN.png

Could be something broken by Dharma for non-Dharma users
(I still think making the government reforms DLC locked a bad idea, far worse than the estates being locked behind cossacks which they fixed in the dharma patch...)

Ok, thx guys :) Guess I just continue to play the campaign, its still fun so far :D

EU4 v1.28.2.0 Spain (d9f4)

CoP, WoN, Res Pub, AoW, El Dorado, CS, Cossacks, Mare Nostrum, RoM, MoH, Third Rome, CoC
no Dharma, no Golden Age, no Rule Britannia

german language
no mods or other alterations
game was freshly installed on a new PC some weeks ago

Ok, thx guys :) Guess I just continue to play the campaign, its still fun so far :D

EU4 v1.28.2.0 Spain (d9f4)

CoP, WoN, Res Pub, AoW, El Dorado, CS, Cossacks, Mare Nostrum, RoM, MoH, Third Rome, CoC
no Dharma, no Golden Age, no Rule Britannia

german language
no mods or other alterations
game was freshly installed on a new PC some weeks ago
If you go into your country modifier list, is your max absolutism being reduced by the veche republic government form? I saw someone file a bug report saying that custom nations weren't getting any government bonuses in 1.28.2 when playing without dharma, but if you aren't getting any as a historical nation (which would explain why you also aren't getting the 20 provinces penalty - you aren't actually a veche republic) then that definitely needs to be reported as a bug

I get a quite different popup as frolix42 posted. The popup says, that its a Veche Republic, that cannot marry, can create trade cities, trade posts etc. Whats missing compared to frolix42 screen are the mods for republican cultural sufferance for unaccepted culture, and the "goods produced" text is missing as well.

merchants: +1
states: +3 (instead of +1)

absolutism (max): +70 (base 65 + religious unity 5)

https://ibb.co/vYJr6n8

EDIT: I've made a bug report

Last edited:
I get a quite different popup as frolix42 posted. The popup says, that its a Veche Republic, that cannot marry, can create trade cities, trade posts etc. Whats missing compared to frolix42 screen are the mods for republican cultural sufferance for unaccepted culture, and the "goods produced" text is missing as well.

merchants: +1
states: +3 (instead of +1)

absolutism (max): +70 (base 65 + religious unity 5)

https://ibb.co/vYJr6n8

EDIT: I've made a bug report

Could it be because you are missing the Govt Form DLC?

Could it be because you are missing the Govt Form DLC?
I can change government forms for e. g. monarchies (from feudal monarchy to whatever is listed there). For Novgorod, on my screenshot in the link above, the according button, left to the green republic hat, is greyed out, contrary to your screenshot, where it is enabled. Because I dont have Dharma.

But the mechanics for Veche Republics were already in the game, long before Dharma, and in the opening info screen, when I start as Novgorod, it even says, that there is a "20 stated provinces" limit, though the penalty does not apply.

DLCs, that are connected with features of the Veche Republic, as it is stated in the wiki, are Mare Nostrum, Res Publica, and Third Rome, and these are enabled in my game. So, I cant figure out, why this is missing in my version.

If I disable Dharma, this is what I get.
GPpnY7a.png
So, this is exactly what I see (though in german of course). Thx for testing! :) I guess theres an easy solution: Paradox gives me Dharma for free, problem solved :D

EDIT: your first screen with Dharma enabled shows the same (the correct) popup info as it is in Arumbas video at 47:30. The vid is from 2017. (though its not exactly the same, the info for +1 states is missing but the infos about the goods produced bonus and cultural boni are there)

Last edited: