What gives you more points towards winning a crusade, winning battles or sieging counties?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Cyhort

Major
76 Badges
Jan 22, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • BATTLETECH
  • Deus Vult
  • Rome Gold
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Sengoku
  • March of the Eagles
  • East India Company
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
Also, if your army shows up in a battle that's being led by another ruler, do you get the same amount of points for winning as they do, or less because you're not the leader?

A battle gives points just once, while keeping a holding sieged down continues to give points, so in the long term, sieging is the better way to win a crusade/jihad/great holy war.

Personally, I've found battles to have a far greater effect, especially if they are constant. While sieging counts for warscore it doesn't really put a lot into percent contributed. If you can win a couple major battles you are absolutely set.

Personally, I've found battles to have a far greater effect, especially if they are constant. While sieging counts for warscore it doesn't really put a lot into percent contributed. If you can win a couple major battles you are absolutely set.
Who gets the points in multi-army battles?

I won a crusade once just by waiting for the Arabs to siege Rome then waiting for them to move off and freeing the county. Of course the Arab doomstack goes back after Rome again, so I get on my boats and let them, once they move off I retake Rome. Rinse repeat. I only had a tiny contingent in the war goal for crusader traits, parked on some county waiting for catholic doomstack to come help me siege it so they did all the work and I got all the credit.

What really brings points is losing men. Engaging a big battle and losing is granted to boost your contribution. Don't fuck up the crusade, though, it better be worth it.
Played as Bouillon, had my 6k stack with mercs already in the adria when the crusade triggered. Started with comfortable 70% contribution when others had came in. England engaged the Fatimid stack and lost the battle, overtook me in contribution, so I took my attached counts, engaged too, lost also, but managed to push my contribution back up. Then right away re-engaged with the english together and defeated them.

On a sidenote, as it wasn't mentioned, it is not the sieges themselves giving contribution points to the crusade (they give warscore).
What "contributes" is your armies presence in the destinated crusade target- something which lasting sieges typically provide. If you observe the ticket on the contribution score on the crusade flag, you'll notice that the contribution level of all leaders who have soldiers in the crusade target area raises daily- so yes, having your army in spot to land when the crusade triggers is a valid tactic to be biggest contributer as small fish.
Large battles bring more, however- if an enemy stack you can engage passes by closely, don't hesitate, as long as you are fighting crusade target or defenders in battle, you also get contribution daily, regardless of the location. And if you contribute a serious army, you get much more contribution than sieging can give this way.