What FTL will Stellaris use?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I've always enjoyed imagining that the way the Imperium ended up is everything he wanted to avoid. Always found that funnier for some reason. :p
Well that's true regardless of which interpretation we follow, the question us was the emperor deluding the imperium or is the imperium deluding itself.

The idea here is that you compress and stretch space-time in front of and behind your bubble (in which your spaceship is). This would basically allow the spaceship to not move, but move space around it, which would then would look like if the ship moved faster than the speed of light.
Wasn't that how the ship in Futurama moved?

So Horus fell for the old self fulfilling prophecy trick? xD

Yep. There's a definite Greek tragedy feel to the Horus Heresy books. Also, they're basically like a science fiction version of the fall of Lucifer, but that's getting even more off-topic.

No, ship in Futurama moved the universe around the ship instead of moving the ship :)

I believe that's pretty much what he said. They sound like similar concepts to me.

I believe that's pretty much what he said. They sound like similar concepts to me.
They are different though.

If light was a policeman pulling you up because you go too fast, a warp-driver would say "true, I did go to Alpha Centauri in one hour, but just look at my distance counter : I in fact only did 70 kilometer, so I was clearly under the speed limit !", while Fry would say "true, we got to Alpha Centauri in one hour, but we didn't move, Alpha Centauri came to us that fast ! You should arrest those guys instead of me !"

Reactions:
I read one article that coming out of warp, any particles that the spacecraft would come in contact with on the front of the ship would be accelerated to infinity, and could destroy planets etc in front of it. Scary stuff to think about, its hard to fathom the scale of energy needed to (approach) lightspeed not using some trick (wormhole etc)

I envision our space sitting in hyperspace like a crumpled up piece of paper:

crumpled-paper-ball-14477875.jpg

Within the CONTEXT of the paper, space is flat, but if you could bust out you could go anywhere.

So if you want to get to Alpha Centauri you might make a hyperjump to someplace completely different, travel a few thousand miles, make another seemingly random hyperjump, etc. You might end up zigzagging halfway across the universe or through another universe entirely, but really you'd be taking the shortest route that you can successfully navigate.

Reactions: