What Exactly do the Colors on the Supply Map Represent?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Harin

General
54 Badges
Jun 8, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Victoria 2
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Pride of Nations
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
I have not seen this question anywhere, so I feel like the only dummy in the room who has not figured it out.

Not knowing has not hurt my fun. The map somehow manages to communicate to me where I am having supply problems, without me knowing exactly how it is doing that. Kudos to the designer. Building a feedback that lets a player know something without the player knowing how he knows, is a feat. Still, after a few games on the Eastern Front, I thought it wise if I swallowed my pride and just asked what the colors represent.

What value(s) make a province turn from green to blue to red?

Thanks in advance for any answer or advice you take the time to give.

Attachments

• hoi4_28.png
    hoi4_28.png
    6,9 MB · Views: 0
  • hoi4_30.png
    hoi4_30.png
    7 MB · Views: 0
  • hoi4_29.png
    hoi4_29.png
    7 MB · Views: 0
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Red means "bottlenecked" - I just learned that from another post in the forums.

There should be a legend somewhere, or maybe we need to bug them for one.

Reactions:
Actually not quite.

The province colours just indicate how many supplies are available for distribution in that province (as can be seen in the screenshots with the tooltips).
Red in this case means that currently no supplies are in that province. However this is only a snapshot of any given hour. Any newly conquered province will be red since the supply hubs and states need to refill the supplies.

If your find a supply hub whose numbers are red (in that case the first number is always bigger that the second, as can be seen in those screenshots.... the supply hub in the center), then more supplies are drawn from that hub than can be provided by the railway network. If you select that hub, it should show the railways lines used. And the railway line which are coloured red: THOSE are the bottleneck.

• 6Like
Reactions:
various shades of blue : more supply is available to the province than is used up.
purple : supply available is in balance with supply use.
yellow/orange : supply use is slightly greater than supply available. It's a problem, but not a big one
red : supply use is much greater than supply available. Units will start dropping org, and suffer equipment attrition.

• 2Like
Reactions:
A side question: Has there ever been any rationale as to why attrition only affects equipment and never manpower?
Why do 10k troops surrounded in frozen mountains province for months have their rifles disintegrate from overuse, but otherwise they just eat dirt and stones and all survive? :)

• 3Like
Reactions:
A side question: Has there ever been any rationale as to why attrition only affects equipment and never manpower?
Why do 10k troops surrounded in frozen mountains province for months have their rifles disintegrate from overuse, but otherwise they just eat dirt and stones and all survive? :)
Obviously, they eat rifles first, which are full of iron and various other nutrients :p

• 8Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:

People can live very long without food, extreme long on low food, but not long without water

Reactions:
various shades of blue : more supply is available to the province than is used up.
purple : supply available is in balance with supply use.
yellow/orange : supply use is slightly greater than supply available. It's a problem, but not a big one
red : supply use is much greater than supply available. Units will start dropping org, and suffer equipment attrition.
How about railroad color?
1638279761272.png

• 3Like
Reactions:
On another side note, the only issue I seem to regularly have with supply is ports that home base a large number of ships. These ports are red, and there doesn't seem much to be done except either porting smaller groups in multiple ports, or putting ships on a mission. It doesn't have the right "feel" to it ... think of Pearl Harbor, San Diego, Wilhelmshaven, Brest, Taranto, Portsmouth, Hiroshima, etc. These large ports were not perpetually out of supply despite the fact that they were home base to a large number of ships.

Maybe I am missing something.

Regards,
Feltan

How about railroad color?
Yellow rail : this is the actual route from your capital to the supply node your supply trains travel
Red rail : same as yellow, but this section has a lower rail level than the rest. Upgrade it, and more supplies can flow.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Is this accurate? I always assumed attrition hit manpower as well, but was replaced quite quickly from your reserves.

Reactions:
On another side note, the only issue I seem to regularly have with supply is ports that home base a large number of ships. These ports are red, and there doesn't seem much to be done except either porting smaller groups in multiple ports, or putting ships on a mission. It doesn't have the right "feel" to it ... think of Pearl Harbor, San Diego, Wilhelmshaven, Brest, Taranto, Portsmouth, Hiroshima, etc. These large ports were not perpetually out of supply despite the fact that they were home base to a large number of ships.

Maybe I am missing something.

Regards,
Feltan
This is due to a bug in 1.11.1 that meant divisions did not get supplies if there were ships in port in the same province. It has been fixed in 1.11.4, which is available as an open beta on Steam.

Reactions:
There's a lot to like about the new supply system, and it's a big step up in terms of gameplay :) A few rough edges, but even with them I'd rather have the current system than the previous system.

One thing to keep in mind about the supply colour is that it's the "potential supply" - so if it's based mainly on state supply, that supply colour will "drain" (transition from blue to red) very quickly in the state once troops start moving in, whereas if it's mainly hub-based, then as long as the hub isn't overloaded (which is harder to do, but not impossible) then putting a div in one province will have less of an impact on another province.

Another thing to keep in mind is that divs in the state (I think) all draw from the state supply first, so if you have two divs in range of a hub, and one without, then the one without will only get 1/3rd of the total state supply, even if there's plenty of capacity in the hub. But this means that moving divs into a hub will reduce the available supply outside of the hub, and "redden" the shades a bit, depending on where the available supply is relative to the thresholds.

Reactions: