• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Can you try to pack fewer pics into your mosaic? ;) Also, I would love to see numerical battle results :)
Can do. I won't have results for this update obviously, will make sure to get them in the future.

Do we want fewer pictures overall (Less detail that is), or just fewer pictures per "section"?

Last edited:
I am the Real Shogun! - The AAR
Update 2: The Hosokawa and the Heir - Part Two​
Less pictures per section as requested, have given myself a 3 picture maximum per section, excluding the added flavor such as messages/character portraits. Let me know if it's still too in-depth, still new to this ;)

31109239.png
4th May, 1473: We had camped in Uji for a month, the morale had gone up significantly. Despite our losses we had recovered somewhat, our army had grown. Ashikaga warriors do not desert or rebel, this I knew for certain. What I feared was a lack of fighting spirit, I had to demonstrate the power of the Shogunate, I had to show them that we would still win.

With the Hosokawa's main army having finished a siege in the Rokkaku province of Takashima they were now marching south, into our territory. With a little luck I was hoping that they would march east, or south, away from us. And so they did, as soon as the information reached me that they were marching south towards the Hatakeyama I ordered my men to initiate the move. My soldiers, while low on morale, would soon see that we were still in this war. I ordered an assault on the besiegers at Tsuzuki. During the battle the Hosokawa force recieved reinforcements, yet we prevailed.

16404968.png
Another victory at last, the Hosokawa siege army forced to retreat north into.

We pursued what remained of the Tsuzuki siege force and shattered it in Kuse. With even more Hosokawa reinforcements arriving in the midst of battle, we still manage to come out victorious. While surveying the battlefield I recieve unfortunate news. The main army of the Hosokawa clan, knowing the weakness that their extended siege had left on Tsuzuki's defenses, had marched east and absolutely destroyed what remained.

For the first time they had conquered one of our provinces, for the first time since ascending to the throne as the rightful Shogun had I actually lost control of my land to an external enemy. Such a thing could never be allowed.

With the Hosokawa army once more marching out of our lands I rallied what few levies I could and began my own siege of Tsuzuki, they had left an insignificant garrison to hold what was once mine and I had no intention of letting them keep it.

85456799.png
3rd October, 1473: With the Hosokawa once more busy in the north I face no resistance as my force of 1100 men, many of them young and freshly raised from the provinces, besiege the miniscule garrison left behind in Tsuzuki. With no resistance offered we swiftly overcome the defenses and retake our province.

41224316.png
With another siege of Tsuzuki gathering I am once again forced to raise levies, I gather my main army in Kuse, and have another smaller force in Kizu ready to engage from a second front.

1st January, 1474: I attack, making sure both of my armies arrive at the same time. The damage is devastating. While barely taking any losses I encircle the enemy and wipe out their army.

88382861.png
I am back in the position I started in, there is no direct threat, I still have smaller armies to defeat unless I want the sieges to grow into dangerously large opposition, but nothing challenging if I do so.

My lands are secure for now, with no enemy armies on the march towards us I have some time to rest. I gather what levies I can. I may not have any direct threats right now but in the north the Hosokawa are still besieging Rokkaku conquests, in the west a large host is marching south to do battle with the Hatakeyama.

34705787.png
Good news for all of the clan, even during all of this campaigning the Shogun has found time to perform as any man should. Another brother for the heir has been born. A Shogun must have a strong lineage and a strong army, right now I have both.

Meanwhile another Hosokawa vassal begins a siege of Tsuzuki, it is easily lifted and the enemy army destroyed.

21231869.png
26th July, 1474: In the northern theatre the Hatekeyama have been defeated by their rebels, said rebels are not faring so well against the Toki. The Togashi are under siege by Shiba, who after having lost their war to the Isshiki are now being assaulted by the Imagawa. They have no territory left in the east.

In the west the Ouchi, Yamana and Takeda have more or less defeated the Hosokawa. They are marching east to take down the Akamatsu, and south to help Kono against a surprisingly, at least locally, resilient Hosokawa.

End of Part Two.

Last edited:
The style of the pictures looks pretty but I find myself just ignoring it after a while becasue I don't really get what each picture is about. Maybe its just me?

The style of the pictures looks pretty but I find myself just ignoring it after a while becasue I don't really get what each picture is about. Maybe its just me?
Because of the zoom? Or something else? How do I fix it? I can just use screenshots instead if that'd be better.

I mean, it's just a Sengoku screen like any other, with all the outlying provinces surrounding an event having been cropped out. The pictures pretty much just display what's in the text, it's the same story.

Last edited:
Update 2: The Hosokawa and the Heir - Part Three​

43978106.png
Between July '74 and June '75 a variety of things unfolded, among them me dealing with a huge number of smaller vassals invading my territory, time and time again the Hosokawa clan's smaller armies tried besieging my provinces which ended in them losing manpower for nothing. The Inn in Kii finished construction and I began the construction of a Marketplace in Kadono. The Master of Ceremonies was most definitely strictly lectured for not adhering to the strategy drawn up by the Shogun, regarding civic buildings.

More importantly, my Master of the Guard succeeded in splitting the Isshiki clan in two, and another small war now raged east of my territory. The Kitakabe clan had broken free and were doing their best to assert control over Isshiki. After this success he deserved a break, so I let him enjoy his life at home (I forgot to assign something new =D).

86816897.png
4th June, 1475: The Hosokawa clan has just finished besieging a Rokkaku province called Kurita, right on my eastern border. Not wanting to lose out on the chance for territorial gain in a fairly safe place I send my army to retake it, all in the rightful, honorable name of the Western alliance of course. The siege lasts until September when the garrison crumbles.

The heir's first brother, only known by the name "Number 2", is granted the Kokujin title for this province. Perhaps the Shogun felt he deserved a grand apology for all that nasty business regarding his birth and existance, perhaps the Shogun wanted to ship him away to hide any proof that he was ever created. Regardless, he now controlled Kurita.

It is during this period that the Heir's third brother sees the light of day, a boy named Harumoto. There is at this time nothing breast related that demonstrates the trait, but he would come to be known as Harumoto the Charitable.

16432890.png
Having spent his time idling away in court, enjoying the finer parts of life, it is finally time to send my Master of the Guard away on another mission. This time with the same goal as before, albeit against a much stronger opponent. Having dealth with Uesugi in the east and Isshiki locally, it is now time to fracture the west.

The Hosokawa is losing the war, that much is clear, so I won't have to worry about this backfiring on me. Much of the territorial gain in the west has been had by Ouchi and I estimate that they will likely come out of this war the strongest. Thus I locate the strongest internal opponent of the Ouchi leader, Ouchi Noriyuki, the Daimyo of Chikuzen, and send my snake to whisper in his ear.

25th January, 1476: The construction of the Castle in Tsuzuki is complete, the Master is sent to Kuse to oversee the next project.

24792908.png
With the Nagao clan's rebellion showing the way other northern Daimyos and Kokujins have taken the opportunity to rebel against their leaders, the north is more fractured than ever and no challenger to the honorable Shogunate is likely to rise from there anytime soon. The far south remains unchanged for now.

98949056.png
No one ever said the Shogun was a dishonorable man, no one who still lives at least. And so it would come to be that my army, one 10 times stronger, came across yet another quite stupid vassal of Hosokawa, I had a choice to make. Would this be yet another crushing victory, without any chance of an honorable fight, or would it be a glorious battle? I chose the later, I ordered my men to set up camp and chose my 24 strongest samurai to accompany me to a bridge I knew the enemy would have to cross.

Seeing us 25 holding that bridge, 10 times fewer than their own host, I imagine they were quite amused. What they did not expect, as their arrows blotted out the sun, was how well the Shogun fought in the shade. Such immense bravery had never before been seen in the Japanese realms, this inspired the men to hold their ground and these 25 braved the onslaught of an empire. As the last Hosokawa warrior died to our blades I could see the pride in my men's faces. From this day forward I would be known as Yoshimaru the Brave.

16934298.png
Having thoroughly defeated every attempt at conquest they had thrown at us for the past year or so I decided that it was time to go on the offensive, just north of my lands sits a small province called Otagi. The lord of this province had decided that, despite an intense Civil War raging around him, it'd be best if he simply didn't build a castle or any sort of fortification. This made it an ideal target for me.

On the 28th July, 1476, the siege of Otagi begins.

End of Part Three.

Last edited:
Update 2: The Hosokawa and the Heir - Part Four​

37914463.png
The siege didn't last very long, in September a Hosokawa force approached from the west. While we could've probably defeated it I made the call to lift the siege and retreat, taking large losses at this point wouldn't be worth it. I move south and engage a smaller army, the larger Hosokawa force moves east to engage a Rokkaku army in Shiga. In the west a huge Hosokawa army is laying siege to Funai, with some luck they won't come for me afterwards.

69541899.png
The Hosokawa vassals keep sieging and losing their armies as always, it doesn't earn them any territory but it does serve to slowly but surely decrease my army size.

27th March, 1477: I am down to 2583 soldiers. The Hosokawa have sent an army almost 300 men stronger to besiege Kii, at least they didn't send 6000. Either way I don't have enough to thoroughly defeat them. To the east in Kurita they have another 700 man army outside my fort. Fortunately I have the perfect solution, I raise the levvies of Tsuzuki, Kuse and Uji which amount to 1500 soldiers and gather all my troops in Uji.

74770678.png
23 April, 1477: Thinking it to be a sure victory with a fairly large numerical advantage, I launch my assault on the Hosokawa in Kii. Unfortunately, possibly because of some freakish luck or perhaps because of the low morale of some of my fresh levvies, the battle is lost. I am forced to retreat south where I can soon draft more troops.

70359056.png
With the levvies gathered I am once again stronger than the Hosokawa in Kii, yet because of my loss I don't feel confident enough to attack them when my numerical advantage is actually smaller than before. In the east the siege at Kurita has been reinforced and has actually progress further than the Kii one, I decide to break it. They outmanuever me by marching into Tsuzuki as I arrive in Kurita, and then heading up through Kuse north towards Kii, fortunately deciding to keep their forces split. For some reason they leave the Kurita siege army in Kii and march the other one north, even though my army is right there.

Kii having been besieged for quite some time, won't hold out forever. I have little choice, and it's most likely a battle I will win. I engage their smaller army in Kii while the other one is up in Kuwada, the battle goes well to begin with but then their second army marches back down towards Kii from the north, the first army being more or less crushed this battle is still in my favor numerically.

10th January, 1478: I come out with a second victory and roughly 2000 soldiers to spare. For almost an entire year I get to spend no time on anything but fending off smaller 500-700 man armies.

31590134.png
1 January, 1479: The Hosokawa are crumbling, in the west the Ouchi and Yamana are pushing them towards me, in the north the Rokkaku are doing the same. With such a large concentration of Hosokawa right next to me I decide that while I do want to start being offensive, I can't do it there. That 4.3k army is looking especially menacing. Thus I draft up two new 750 man levvies and send them south towards the territories Hosokawa conquered from Hatakeyama, I intend to conquer everything north of the that province.

This month also brought some sad news, on the 12th the first of my wives died and while most would consider her little more than a baby production facility she did indeed spawn my first child, the heir to my lineage.

End of Part Four.

Last edited:
The great Ashikaga clan! :D Good luck with surving against Hosokawa, I always tend to get defeated if I ever start at war with them. :( But you seem to be doing pretty great!

Update 2: The Hosokawa and the Heir - Part Five​

60430013.png
At this point in time Japanese women did not enjoy the same privileges that being born a man bestowed upon you, they could for example not inherit or help rule the clan from positions of power. Yet they still held one form of power, the power over a man's heart. Perhaps the death of his wife is what caused his death, the broken heart he suffered... or perhaps it wasn't. It may be that his wound that had been bothering him since the very first battle he fought in this shameful war had finally caught up to him. He had lived a full life, fathered 5 sons and a daughter, married 4 times and done well for the clan. Yoshimasa was mourned by many.

Whatever the reason of his death, on the 14th February, 1479, Yoshimasa the Brave was no more. The time had come for a new ruler, his son, Ashikaga Yoshihisa. Whereas his father had been the rightful Shogun, Ashikaga Yoshihisa had never enjoyed such luxury. Provinces fell, lineages died out, all because of this one fact. His rule would certainly be contested, yet it was his in his blood, he was the heir. Where many young rulers and heirs let their power and might defeat them, succumbing to arrogance and the like, Yoshihisa had merely been humbled by the experience. He had become a remarkable person, kinder than most and willing to give to those in need.

63303920.png
The Shogun knew that a 13 year old cannot truly rule. On his deathbed Yoshimasa appointed his most loyal vassal Ashikaga Harutane to rule until the boy was ready. (Until he turns 16, I will tell the story from Harutane's perspective)

Even with my guidance the boy would prove to be a man of incredible character. As Shogun his first act would be one of superb kindness, going against the instructions and advice I gave him and even the advice of the court, he married his father's fourth wife. His own stepmother, a 40 year old woman, was hardly a suitable candidate to be the first wife of a Shogun yet he persisted. Why? To show her she still had family.

However no man, or boy, is perfect. Without the pride that had driven his father to fight so bravely against the Hosokawa the boy had become content with his place in the world. I would have to do my best to guide him, to ensure that the Ashikaga shogunate has a leader they can depend on.

21850791.png
The rightful Shogun has left us in a favorable position, yet in the grander sense we are quite vulnerable. The Sengoku Jidai is underway, many are hungry for the title that the young Yoshihisa holds. Hosokawa may seem like the enemy now, yet their defenses have crumbled and their provinces and the riches within them are being taken by others. In comparison we have grown very little, others like the Ouchi and Yamana have truly benefited from this unjust rebellious war.

If we are to stand a chance at a unified Japan, a Japan once more under the rule of the honorable Ashikaga Shogunate, we must manuever carefully.

In the south the siege of Nishikibe that Yoshimasa began has been progressing well. Back home I rally what levvies I can, while we must certainly go on the offensive now, we cannot afford to lose any ground either. The Rokkaku are pushing in from the north and we risk missing out on some territorial gains that the old Shogun tried for, Otagi. I send an army to lay claim to it.

46688235.png
It is around this time that Hosokawa must've realized what fools they had been, marching right through our lands rather than conquering us. You should always deal with the easiest threat first. And so they try, they send a rather strong army to lay siege to my capital, Kadono. Just east of them I am laying siege to Otagi and once more they make the grave mistake of not dealing with the weaker target first.

The siege in Nishikibe is underway and I realize that it can certainly keep going with a smaller force, I send what men I can north to help deal with the Kadono siege.

96196655.png
Some men dare, and some men don't. I may be nothing more than a vassal. Yet this is a time when vassals break free and rebel against their masters, when vassals are treated with paranoia and seen as dangerous competitors. In a time such as this did he not, Yoshimasa the Brave the rightful Shogun himself, trust me to the extent that he would let me take control of the clan? I would like to be remebered as more than merely a competitor, and so it falls upon me to make the hard decisions.

In a time such as this you must think in the grander sense, you must risk losing your capital if it means gaining a favorable position on the larger stage.

And so I devise a cunning plan to lay claim to as much of the land west of our territory as I possibly can, the western alliance is after all fighting our war, the war for the succession of the Ashikaga shogunate. Is that not what they claimed to begin with? Their honor demands that they respect our claims, if we get there first and besiege the fortifications they will be ours no matter whose blood is spilled in the assault.

In the south I split the Nishikibe siege force and send one half to Izumi, the Takeda and Kono have taken over Shikoku and are pushing east. In the north I keep a portion of the army in Otagi, the rest are sent like a river to lay claim to as much as I possibly can between the sieges of the Takeda, Rokkaku, Ouchi and Yamana.

76690844.png
The plan's first stage works, 8 additional provinces are besieged by forces under my control and while they may not be enough to conquer all of those on their own allied forces accept the claims as they arrive to assist with the sieges.

The last leg of the war is upon us.

End of Part Five

Last edited:
Nice series of updates, I very much like the simplified and slightly zoomed out view. A little easier to follow everything when I can look at a picture then read some text and then glance up at the right picture to figure out what you are referencing.
Keep up the good work. Will be very nice to see you bring this one to victory.

Keep up the good work. Will be very nice to see you bring this one to victory.
Victory? The most dangerous time as Ashikaga is right after the first war when you're surrounded by larger, stronger states. I actually haven't played that part yet, so no guarantees =D

i'm wondering if there is any added value to a capital, they don't seem to do much other than rally your retinues.
Anyways, still loving the AAR! Keep it up
As soon as it's taken your leader moves to another province, so I guess not. No value other than pride!