What do we even want from a Japan rework?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Alexander 'The Grape'

Captain
42 Badges
Feb 12, 2022
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Magicka 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Magicka
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
From the hints in the latest update, it looks like Japan will be the nation that will get the rework. What do we feel like the nation needs?

Personally, in addition to the obvious (interservice rivalry as balance of power, Zero and Yamato not mutually exclusive) I'm really hoping we get more and better ways to interact with Manchuria. Some 35 day focuses to develop it would be welcome, as you rarely have time for the 70 days between trying to go for the Zero and your various stat buffs. An interesting choice would be to decide between developing its civilian industry and increasing autonomy, trying to improve its military output, or just maximising resource extraction.

What are you hoping for?

• 9Like
Reactions:
Giving Japan the BOP mechanics, giving the Communist and Democratic paths actual useful and interesting things, etc are all good ideas I’ve seen floated. Personally, I really want a real incentive for the US and Japan to island hop in the Pacific. Right now the US has no great reason not to ignore them completely until Europe is done, or else just take one or two big islands and then jump onto the mainland. Japan getting some big bonuses for controlling islands and handing the US some big maluses for letting them do it unopposed ought to help with that.

• 11Like
Reactions:
One simple thing, allow Japan to peace out with Allies if they conquered majority of Pacific and east Asia, without being forced to walk into London/ Paris or Washington.

• 18Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I think that it does not matter how large/refined focus tree we are going to get or how much of our time would be consumed by pointless minigames - once the novelty dries off, in few rare moments, when we won't be preoccupied with keeping an eye on an indicator telling up when to press that decision button, the legendary AI aptitude at all things naval will sip through with the vengeance.

• 5Haha
  • 4Like
Reactions:
They need to incentivize going after the islands. Sure, let them get pinned down in China, but make them more effective in the early war. Perhaps temporary boosts once war against the Allies is declared?

Not a focus tree thing, but they need to fix Coordinated Strike so they can actually run the Pearl Harbor attack

Give them range buffs so they can actually threaten the US. Make the AI more likely to devote troops to going after the islands. Perhaps decision based buffs so they can temporarily enhance invasion preparation speed for some debuff after the buff runs out

And as referenced in many other threads rework MTG and naval gameplay to make the naval game more important

• 10Like
Reactions:
I'd like to see interactions with Manchuria and China in general expanded, along with all 4 of the political paths given a once over. I don't know if Japan necessarily needs a BoP, but I could see it working.

Also as a personal pet peeve, while the North/South sakhalin switcheroo is funny (when Japan goes commie and ussr fascist), it is also annoying to look at and I'd like to see that addressed.

• 4Like
Reactions:
I less want a total overhall on Japan, and more want a total overhall on the entire Asian-Pacific Theater

Islands, while it may look a little goofy, should be made larger to accomidate a few more tiles each so we can *really* fight for them,
i want focus trees and total overhalls for British Malaya, Dutch East Indies, Thailand, and The Philippines, make them really feel like parts of the war like they were irl
minor updates for Australia and New Zealand is a must for it too imo
and most importantly: major India rework
As for Japan i would mostly like to see some of its already existing systems fleshed out and moved to the modern Balance Of Power systems, and more colonial focuses not just for Manchuria but also for establishing more puppets across china and Southeast Asia. Perhaps a dedicated tree could be made for this as the sorta "Greater East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere Tree" kinda like a combo of the Polish Intermarium and setting up the reichskommissariats? Maybe taking inspiration from the South African Anti-Colonial Crusade mechanics and/or the Ethiopian/Finnish uprising focuses?

Id also request tiny extra trees for Mongolia, Manchukuo, and if im being greedy then Tannu Tuva, and perhaps minor updates/unique flavor for the Warlord trees, but i aknowlege that should probably be in a country pack update in and of itself with everything ive already requested

Edit: Also please release a war effort patch that gives the Social Democracy path for Communist China the ability to declare The People's Republic pls

Last edited:
  • 9Like
Reactions:
A focus similar to that of the Reichkommisariats allowing the creation of puppets by decision:
-Burma
-Vietnam
-Cambodia
-Laos
-Reorganized government of China
-Provisional Government of Free India
-Indonesia
-Malaysia

• 11Like
Reactions:
To contribute to this discussion, I want to see focus' that make invading the Japanese mainland an absolute bloodbath. I'm talking ridiculous bonus' like idunno, +50% defense on core territory, and idunno +30% strength damage taken on core territory (so the Japanese defend very well, but they'll lose alot more strength of the divisions) to special creatable home guard divisions (to emulate how millions of women and children were prepared by the japanese to fight to the death as well)

Pearl harbor needs to be a fixed event via a focus, not an intelligence agency thing. (The event itself could be variable i guess, maybe sometimes the carriers are lost but the us battleships were out of base during the attack. Maybe. Maybe just keep it a fixed sink 4 us battleships, dmg 4 us battleships not counting plane or light ship losses)

• 1Like
Reactions:
From the hints in the latest update, it looks like Japan will be the nation that will get the rework. What do we feel like the nation needs?
From the dev diaries showing changes to the Monroe Doctrine and also Arheo's reply here, it may be premature to say it's Japan getting a rework.

What are you hoping for?
I'm hoping that a rework of Japan gets more time and attention than seems likely for a country pack scheduled to release in less than a month, now.

Reactions:
One simple thing, allow Japan to peace out with Allies if they conquered majority of Pacific and east Asia, without being forced to walk into London/ Paris or Washington.
A number of events or decisions featuring plausible peace offers from the various major powers would be great. I don't think unconditional surrender by one side or the other was the only possible outcome of WW2.

• 1Like
Reactions:
In 3 of 4 runs Japan declares war before Germany declare on Soviet Union, i think if they fix the old problem of Japan declaring war too early would be a good start. a simple focus priority change would fix this.

Ins't a matter of obscession with "historical run", but from a gameplay perpestive some historical timelines are very more interesting than early wars rush "sandbox" fiesta.

One of problems thats create is UK sending forces to china because its get military access, and sometimes even solo expelling japan from china, while europe teather stalemate.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I think that it does not matter how large/refined focus tree we are going to get or how much of our time would be consumed by pointless minigames - once the novelty dries off, in few rare moments, when we won't be preoccupied with keeping an eye on an indicator telling up when to press that decision button, the legendary AI aptitude at all things naval will sip through with the vengeance.
Can't be understated how vital it is for AI to be better at naval warfare. I personally won't care for a Japan rework dlc if it doesn't also include better naval tactics for AI. If the DLC cost goes up accordingly then so be it.

Reactions:
A discussion on this was already started here, but for what it's worth, I'll restate my thoughts:

There have been some relatively recent threads talking about the Japan focus tree. It surely could use a serious rework - not least of which is all of the parts surrounding Japan's declaration of war on the West. As suggested in another thread, it would be nice to see events focused around what actually lead to Japan's declaration (more or less): embargoes, especially by the U.S. . . . which were in response to the war in China. Some really immersive focus tree items and events could be constructed around this dynamic culminating in a really nice Pearl Harbor event that Japan could initiate in Dec of '41 (+ or -).

Since a human U.S. player would know Pearl Harbor is coming (and a U.S. AI would not play ball), the Pearl Harbor event could not (necessarily) center on what ships are stationed at Pearl Harbor. Some other mechanism would have to be in place. It seems to me that there was a mod on Steam a long time ago that tried to model this. You get the Pearl Harbor attack option on the Japanese side (with positives and negatives - in other words, incentives to go either way), and on the U.S. side you could choose not to station ships at Pearl Harbor, but there was some kind of big penalty (political and otherwise). It was very interesting and quite well done . . . iirc.

Reactions:
I don't think Japan needs a total rework but rather an in-depth revision as I think the rest of the majors like Germany or France, etc. will have.
Firstly, I believe Hirohito should not be the main portrait of the country in historical path (but only if he restores the showa through the alternative path of the Kodoha)..
In this aspect he should be replaced by the prime minister and convert the emperor into the spirit of the country, just like Victor Emmanuel III in Italy, other monarchs were already figures of symbolic power.
The mechanics of the balance of power between the more moderate or pro-Western sectors led by Prince Konoye and the more militaristic ones (historical) should be added, which would lead to General Tojo coming to power as the country's main defender.

PS: Hirohito's portrait could be improved

• 11Like
Reactions: