What did you enjoy in EUIV today ?

• Thread starter Methuen of Melnibone
  • Start date
  • We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just had an amazing opening with Moldavia
In a first few years conquered Wallachia and vassalized Herzegovina
Attacked Bosnia for Herzegovinian claims, humiliated Bosnia and grabbed most of it's land.
Allied Hungary which got attacked by Poland, joined the war.
Got pretty neat Champion of the Joust AND Talented and Ambitious Daughter
While at war with Poland declared on Byz and vassalized it after it lost Constantinople to Ottomans (Ottos gave military access to Poland so I could get there)
Defeated Poland (thanks Skanderberg), got Black Sea coast and Podolia, created Galicia-Volhynia as vassal
Poland flipped to Orthodox in the aftermath of this war
Managed to ally Austria
Defeated Crimea and Humiliated them
Power projection intensifies
Annexed Theodoro
Getting ready to stomp Ottoblob and Impale the Sultan
Hussite Bohemia as a bonus
Very nice 20 years, Vlad Dracula approves
2020-09-23_13h43_07.jpg2020-09-23_13h43_25.jpg2020-09-23_13h43_34.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions:
Had a great start as the Mamluks yesterday (going for the 100% army professionalism and annex Ottomans achievement)! Diplo-vassalised four Arabian minors, then used mission claims to annex the Anatolion minors before the Ottomans could. One of my vassals secured military access through the Ottomans, so I no-cb'ed Byzantium (who had only allied Serbia). While sieging them down, the Ottomans declared on them. The odds looked good, so I forced vassalisation instead of just annexing Constantinople and regained the southern Balkan coastline, including the two forts --- quite fittingly at the end of May 1453 :)

Ottomans got hammered (separately) by Poland, Serbia and Naples, and another three wars of mine, and are now down to two landlocked provinces in Anatolia. Meanwhile, consolidated the rest of Arabia, took the Red Sea coast up to the strait to Mukha, and (diplo-)vassalised Fezzan, a (now-)healthy Warsangali and Ajuraan and a two-province Ajam with a nice amount of cores.

Finishing the achievement is now just a case of annexing Byzantium, taking those last two Ottoman provinces and drilling/recruiting generals for another 70% professionalism. I hadn't really planned beyond that (and just expanded opportunistically between Ottoman truces), so I'll just have some more fun using vassals to expand and see how far I'll let that take me :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-09-23_20-13-10.png
    Screenshot_2020-09-23_20-13-10.png
    2,7 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2020-09-24_10-06-13.png
    Screenshot_2020-09-24_10-06-13.png
    2,7 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2020-09-24_10-06-24.png
    Screenshot_2020-09-24_10-06-24.png
    2,5 MB · Views: 0
  • 2Like
Reactions:
I recently enjoyed fighting a 72k vs ~350k holy war as a custom Norse nation against an Ottoman-allied Muscovy over 3-development Kola, for the For Odin! achievement. This prompted me to actually put proper thought into (and for instance rereading wiki pages/forum threads about) things like combat width, army composition and unit selection, which I usually mostly wing since that's enough to beat the AI. I still have plenty to learn and apply (such as having additional infantry stacks to reinforce those large battles), but I feel happy about further exploring and understanding the combat system. Slowing the game down to speed 1 and watching these preparations pay off in the casualty number ticks was glorious :D

• 2Like
Reactions:
I actually enjoyed (or at least wasn't angry) at being beaten straight up today, as it wasn't due to the usual 'haha, this hidden statistic screwed you / teleporting enemy stacks / RNG / surprise comets and civil war'

I'm at the end of my Byzantium campaign (1750s) - have all of the objectives in the East, and am finishing off Italy prior to a push on Spain. Reasonably strong army of 150k, with quality / aristo / advisor buffs to various things.

So I declare Imperialism against Holland - this being the only way I could attack Venice & Milan without dragging in literally the whole world of great powers.
This war goes well - I pick off the small HRE stacks (Austria is not the emperor), and take land from Milan.
Next objective - take land from Venice, and close the war.

HOWEVER

At this point, the French declare Nationalism against me (for Nice)
They have 350k standing, with the same in reserve. They are allied to both Hungary and the Commonwealth.
My allies ? Russia are off in Japan somewhere doing their useless Russia thing. Britain have been turned into a French PU.

So I peace out Holland with many gold coins, closing the first war, and turn my army / navy to concentrate on the French.

This was not to be, as their navy consisted of five stacks of several dozen heavies. This sorted out my mixed fleets of mainly galleys (great in the Med with their bonuses, but proper warships not so much).
Second, their army ALL came over the Alpine passes together (I was expecting to stack-snipe 30-40k stacks) - this flattened my army, which retreated back into Croatia.
There they met several hundred thousand mixed Hungarians and Commonwealth troops, and therefore met their doom.

I peaced France out by giving them Nice, releasing Bosnia & Albania, paying 2000 ducats, and giving the Mamluks some pointless piece of desert that they wanted.

Happily they didn't want war reps, so my next task is to rebuild my army & navy, and try to at least get the Balkans back before the game ends.

:)

• 2Like
Reactions:
Playing Spain, lost the League War (of the five Catholic Great Powers, four fought on the Protestant side, i was the only one on the Catholic one...), became Protestant, became Emperor some decades later, started to work on the HRE by removing heretics and reconquering HRE provinces... and then my heir died, and my emperor some months later. I am no more Emperor, but a duchy with 2000 dev...

So I quit the Empire, switch back to Catholic and destroy the HRE. In less than two years, I went from Protestant HRE Emperor and DoTF to Catholic destroyer of the HRE and DoTF (could have been quicker, but as I was Protestant DoTF, I had to lose the title first, so should start and lose a war, well actually win it on the field and but then offer peace for 1 point, giving ducats).

Being at 98 prestige and Catholic DoTF, and seeing Scandinavia at 100 prestige taking my title. Checking it and at 100 prestige, its prestige was still rising (+0.24).

Two years later, checking and see Scandinavia prestige is at 99.93. Ending my current war with many prestige boosting choices, rising to 100 and taking back my title !

Just after that launch a war to vassalize the pope. My vassal Naples has Rome and the malus was -1 diplo rep and -10 papal influence per year. I prefer -2 diplo rep (even with this malus, I have +9, so I can afford it).

Playing through my second attempt at a Burgundy campaign. Bad luck and a blind eye killed the first one, but things are better this time around.

After accidentally causing France to go into a death spiral in 20 years, I've managed to vassalize France and a handful of the French minors (the first one for the achievement). Conquered most of the rest of France. Going to eventually find ways to suddenly, but inevitably betray Aragon and Austria. Considering getting into a decent coalition war with Austria and forcing them to release Styria and Tyrol so I can eventually vassalize them. Aragon will probably be a straight betrayal afterwards so that I can get the three provinces they took from France.

I only enjoyed it ‘in the moment’ but my second to last burg-prussia-germany i pu’d bohemia, then a very early pu over poland/lith. But it was too much.

So I restarted and pooooof got a pu over france that just fell uncontested into my lap out of nowhere, then I contested hungary for a pu over austria. Then I released France to keep it interesting.

Since the gc changes I’ve really enjoyed devving up and building industrial empires.

Going to start a tall catholic morocco run tonight!

• 1Like
Reactions:
It's not something really good, however it mad me laugh. I had two main obstacles in my France save. Great Britain and the Ottomans, who were allied together. GB had a huge Thirteen Colonies (I mean near modern USA size minus California) and so I let the Russians + Commonwealth and 2 stacks of mine beat up the Ottomans whilst I used the rest of my army to occupy the whole of Great Britain and sat there till their war exhaustion was 20 knowing that the Thirteen Colonies would declare Independence. After the war, in which I massively won, the Thirteen Colonies did become independent, with my money helping them (yay for historical accuracy) and became "Florida".

Great right? Well not actually, because they ended up with the third largest army in game, rivalled me and started eating my Mexican colonies. Thankfully after I grew more, they stopped rivalling me and became my ally. Hopefully that deters any coalitions. But my trade power in the Americas is practically dead now.

100% war score 20 war exhaustion ottomans.

...and what alternative universe was that in ? Were you Byzantium or someone beating on them a lot ?

Today - I had a magic start as England, winning the Hundred Years' War & getting the PU over France. Vassalised Scotland via the mission tree, and stamped on the Wars of the Roses double quick to avoid losing my PU. Good times !

This is conquest cb, the absolutism is only at 50-something, no tech 23.

I had a big roller coster of emotions in my last game. I was Ordoyev for the two acheivements (all type of manufactories and only one of Rurikovich dynasty).

After a good early and mid-game i get to turn around and kill Muscovy. 1700 or so, double the size of Muscovy that i made sure can't expand, i'm just cruzing and taking my time, enjoying a slow game (third power). I needed about 4 wars to consume them. After two wars, they ally the Ottoblob, like a super massive Ottoblob (first power). One of the reason I took the game slow is that I didn't want to be left exposed to them since we had alot of borders and claims on me, they also try to intervene in my wars often. The game seems doomed to me, as the last war with them lasted 20 years for a 15% warscore gain and drived my economy to the ground. Anyway I make preparation, ally Spain (second power) in hope they join versus their rival.

It's late at night, I want to finish it. Take loans, get mercs, build a shit ton of forts, trying to juice out a few bonus. Getting ready to declare on the next month..... BAM ! Instant PU on Muscovy out of nowhere. No war, no contestation, just a free PU on my mortal ennemy. The warm in my heart is extreme, awaiting the end of the month to see the acheivement pop on the 1st.... alas, nothing. WTF ! Litteraly standing in front of the screen. WTF ! Confused, I shakely look around what is happening. In the same month... both king and prince of Spain died and a noble Rurikovich took the throne. I even made sure that they had an heir before sending the royal marriage.

It's 1750, Spain is so big I don't see how I can fully annex them in time. No borders, no fleet. Desperation starting to fill me up again. Brake alliance, starting a spying network. They have -105% spy defense.... WTF AGAIN. How is that possible ? Frustration filled I'm clicking the declare war to see the options. And then I saw it. The salvation to my cause. I was able to claim throne. Don't think twice, declare the next month. -10 stab who cares. No ally cause I don't want the Ottoman to join war again. Me, the little blue blob vs Spain and the true big blue blob. Spain as 500k troop alone. I'm fighting 3 to 1. Muscovy is far from loyal and won't help. My Streltsy are crossing Europe chanting songs of hope but scared to death of being wiped out by the French. The end boss.

I won my game. Took me everything, and I got filled with hapiness once acheived. Then close the game and swore to take a 2 week brake to let the stress go down.

Bonus: in the same game Sweden tried to revolt from Danemark twice. On the second war, Danemark took one thing in the peace deal, Stokholm. That was really funny to see. it was nearly 40 dev at that point too. They stayed in line to the end of the game after that, living with a red spot in the middle of them.

This is conquest cb, the absolutism is only at 50-something, no tech 23.
OK, but there is something strange that with 66% warscore it costs you 910 DIP and will cost you 1319 MP to core. Also 376 AE is huge. With low absolutism and admin efficiency, you should conquer less provinces, so the coring cost and AE should be smaller.