What countries seem hard to play but are quite easy to play?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Provence- op cores on naples from the first mission allow you to have 200 dev by 1455 (requires luck)(emperor only)
Filippino minors-if you go pirate you become the ruler of the seas (gc only)
papal state-subjugation on naples makes you the stongest power in italy early on (requires luck)
those are the ones that come to mind

Reactions:
Provence- op cores on naples from the first mission allow you to have 200 dev by 1455 (requires luck)(emperor only)
Filippino minors-if you go pirate you become the ruler of the seas (gc only)
papal state-subjugation on naples makes you the stongest power in italy early on (requires luck)
those are the ones that come to mind
How do you conquer corsica before alfonso dies, or is provencal dev alot higher nowadays?

Reactions:
I've found the Ottomans very easy to play because broadly they expand in two diametrically opposed directions in the early game, which makes coalition management simple and easy.

No one can reasonably say the Ottomans "seem hard", but they are set up to have an extremely boosted early game with good, young rulers, solid events and a bunch of truces. The Ottomans are even easier than they would seem to someone unfamiliar with them.

• 2Haha
Reactions:
I’m going to throw Savoy in there as a possibility. Don’t look like much but ally France to do all the heavy lifting and then eating into Northern Italy can build up a really strong power base without having to fight anyone big. Arguably not a rapid snowball but I’d say easier than it looks?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I just finished a Bengal save and while I wasn’t really expecting it to be hard it was way easier than I thought it would be. You conquer Burma, then Indochina and Malaya and with a couple strong vassals you’re set to take on the Indian blobs.

• 1Like
Reactions:
How do you conquer corsica before alfonso dies, or is provencal dev alot higher nowadays?
You don't need Corsica. You just need 100 dev to finish the mission. The missing 27 dev can for example be acquired by reconquering Maine from England and taking Alencon as well. You can declare that war on Dec 11th and call France in with a promise of land. As an alternative to Alencon, you can take Ceuta from Portugal if you manage to siege it down. Then you would have to develop 4 times to get to 100 dev.

Timurids...? They might seem difficult to play at first for a beginner, because of their many disloyal vassals. It probably looks like a big mess but there is a very simple strategy to follow: staying at war in the early game (Ajam instantly, then Baluchistan or whatever). You know what happens next...

• 4Like
Reactions:
Timurids...? They might seem difficult to play at first for a beginner, because of their many disloyal vassals. It probably looks like a big mess but there is a very simple strategy to follow: staying at war in the early game (Ajam instantly, then Baluchistan or whatever). You know what happens next...
Staying at war? Risking the death of the ruler in battle? What madness is this. Just savescum until you can survive Shah Ruhks death.

• 7Haha
Reactions:
I’m going to throw Savoy in there as a possibility. Don’t look like much but ally France to do all the heavy lifting and then eating into Northern Italy can build up a really strong power base without having to fight anyone big. Arguably not a rapid snowball but I’d say easier than it looks?
'ally France to do all the heavy lifting'
What is this France you speak of, Sardinia-Piedmont unified Italy from the puppet states of foreigners all by itself
I just finished a Bengal save and while I wasn’t really expecting it to be hard it was way easier than I thought it would be. You conquer Burma, then Indochina and Malaya and with a couple strong vassals you’re set to take on the Indian blobs.
The morale boost from beating ming is awesome and very easy this patch
provence starts with 73 dev
you can get avignon using the mission that has 11 dev
maine has another 16 dev and you can get it with french help bringing the total dev to 100
You don't need Corsica. You just need 100 dev to finish the mission. The missing 27 dev can for example be acquired by reconquering Maine from England and taking Alencon as well. You can declare that war on Dec 11th and call France in with a promise of land. As an alternative to Alencon, you can take Ceuta from Portugal if you manage to siege it down. Then you would have to develop 4 times to get to 100 dev.
Interesting, how much do you reccomend feeding France so that it doesn't annex you too fast? And do you take bordeaux/labourd to release aquitaine for when you betray France?

• 1Like
Reactions:

Any strong Indian nation makes a very easy game. And Bengal is one of the Indian blobs!

Reactions:
Any strong Indian nation makes a very easy game. And Bengal is one of the Indian blobs!
I understand that now xd. To be honest, it was my first time playing in India and I was even a bit disappointed about how easy it was. Next time I'll try a smaller nation for sure.

I'd say Oda or Tokugawa in Japan fits the bill. Technically, they're OPM vassals (which might sound scary) but as Daimyos they're able to fight all other countries on Japan - and those two have great military ideas. The other there aren't much bigger anyway. Once the shogunate title is secured, you can choose between becoming Japan or staying a shogun for the rest of the game, with the latter having the advantage that all vassals will become Daimyos who doesn't take up a diplo slot nor combine their strength when calculating liberty desire. It's the HRE of Asia and only requires conquering Kyoto to 'revoke'.

Ternate and Tidore are also countries that look hard, but definitely shouldn't be underestimated. Their advantages are that virtually all countries cannot even see them at game start - but they can see much of Asia and that their starting provinces have a really nice permanent +3 goods produced modifier and decent dev. They can basically expand at their leasure via colonists or coalition-free warfare for quite a while.

Reactions:
Brandenburg would be one of them. Having to keep an eye on your aggressive expansion, managing early manpower issues, sniping Konigsburg and slowly expanding through the HRE might seem difficult at first but slowly can be learnt and become a non-issue.

• 1Like
Reactions:
1-A new (or returning) player could be affraid to try out the Paypal State. Papacy mechanics, not part of HRE and hard expention routes early game are reasons that could scare you. With last update you have more vassals, new event with Naple, a new mission tree and a long term goal of forming the Kingdom of God. These are nice additions that will railroad a fun and easier game. There's also 2-3 acheivements that you can try to get at the same time.

2- Any north German merchant city (Lubeck, Hamburg and the like). They are opm's but with nice bonus and if you want a slower pace tallish game at the start, they are quite easy if you give them the chance. Makes you think twice about expension, how to tackle war at a disaventage and how to take care of the emperor that you can't ally early game for easy expention inside HRE. You will have the time to devellop your country and be filty rich compared to your bigger neighbourg. These also have acheivements and formable nations later in game.

3- A naval focus Knight game. I had so much fun taking naval and maritimes idea with navy focused goverment reform. Grabing all the island of the meditarean from 10x stronger powers that couldnt compete on the sea. Bankrup the Ottoman from the sea, wait for the other powers to dogpile on them, get a few key provinces and reform Jerusalem while taking ''On the Rhodes Again'' on the way.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Brandenburg would be one of them. Having to keep an eye on your aggressive expansion, managing early manpower issues, sniping Konigsburg and slowly expanding through the HRE might seem difficult at first but slowly can be learnt and become a non-issue.

I feel like Brandenburg seems easy but is harder than expected to play. Not that it is hard, but by being quite large in the HRE from the start makes you get overconfident.

• 7Like
Reactions: