What causes AI civil wars to end when the revolting country still exists?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TinWiz

Major
72 Badges
Jun 10, 2017
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
I notice this sometimes that there are AI countries on the map called "[Name] Revolt" that are no longer in a civil war, and the original country may or may not still exist. Is this a bug?

I notice this sometimes that there are AI countries on the map called "[Name] Revolt" that are no longer in a civil war, and the original country may or may not still exist. Is this a bug?
I think this happens when either side of the civil war becomes a subject of another nation. For example, Macedon is at war with Rome and a civil war starts in Macedon; if Rome peaces out the original Macedon tag by making them a client state, both sides will exist and be at peace with each other.

Reactions:
I think this happens when either side of the civil war becomes a subject of another nation. For example, Macedon is at war with Rome and a civil war starts in Macedon; if Rome peaces out the original Macedon tag by making them a client state, both sides will exist and be at peace with each other.

I second this. I had one such case in my latest campaign. The fun thing is that a lot of decades later the client state was set free and the war somehow continued and ended.

I have seen this happen without either side becoming a client state. I have also seen civil wars go on for decades without end, between small states that can't muster enough troops to siege a fort.

There might be some weirdness involving naval blockades- it might drive up the warscore on one side enough that it causes them to seek peace?

I have seen this happen without either side becoming a client state. I have also seen civil wars go on for decades without end, between small states that can't muster enough troops to siege a fort.

There might be some weirdness involving naval blockades- it might drive up the warscore on one side enough that it causes them to seek peace?
Same here. I have even seen the original tag and the revolt being part of the same defensive league