• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
There is no specific way of assimilating him and winning the war usually implies having defeated his troops. He remains in control of Mantua, which the WRE can conquer.

Hmm... Then it was a Pyrrhic victory...

First try, my 9k army got mauled.

This was my second try. Stretched my treasury to increase my forces to 12k, baited Odoacer south with 9k and the other 3k sieged down Mantua and liberated what he occupied. Then I marched my bigger army north to merge together and try to fight a defensive battle on a mountain. But before that could happen, Odoacer surrendered...

If Odoacer is a useless prisioner, it appears the only thing I bought was time...

Questions:

- Is there a way to peacefully subjugate non-barbarian former WRE regions as the WRE (since they apparently do not belong to the WRE de jure)?
- Is there an Imperial Reconquest CB option to vassalize instead of annexing?
- Is there an Imperial Reconquest CB that allows the conquest of an entire barbarian kingdom in a single war, e.g. Belisarius's conquest of the Vandal Kingdom?

Thanks in advance :)

- Is there a way to peacefully subjugate non-barbarian former WRE regions as the WRE (since they apparently do not belong to the WRE de jure)?
Yes, if you manage to negotiate the foederati relationship you can then integrate them.
- Is there an Imperial Reconquest CB option to vassalize instead of annexing?
No, not as Imperial Reconquest, but maybe if some vanilla Jade Dragon CBs are available.
- Is there an Imperial Reconquest CB that allows the conquest of an entire barbarian kingdom in a single war, e.g. Belisarius's conquest of the Vandal Kingdom?
Not a specific Imperial Reconquest CB, but I believe as with the previous reply that some of the restricted Jade Dragon CBs allow for this.

Yes, if you manage to negotiate the foederati relationship you can then integrate them.

How does that work, exactly? As the WRE, the only barbarians to whom I can propose Foederati status are the Ostrogoths. What's at play here? Is it the fact that the WRE, unlike the ERE, has no de jure land?

Also, I'm not getting the Imperial Reconquest CB on Julius Nepos... Why is that?

How does that work, exactly? As the WRE, the only barbarians to whom I can propose Foederati status are the Ostrogoths. What's at play here? Is it the fact that the WRE, unlike the ERE, has no de jure land?
No, it is not related to de jure. The ruler you start to negotiate with needs to be independent, not already a tributary, tribal, nomad or a historical foederati (such as the Ostrogoths) and neither a part of the Romance group nor a higher tier than king.

Also, I'm not getting the Imperial Reconquest CB on Julius Nepos... Why is that?
His territory is a part of the Eastern half of the Roman Empire. To get the CB on him you either need to reunify the Roman Empire or be the only half left. As the WRE at start you reconquest on the Western half. See also the mod FAQ.

No, it is not related to de jure. The ruler you start to negotiate with needs to be independent, not already a tributary, tribal, nomad or a historical foederati (such as the Ostrogoths) and neither a part of the Romance group nor a higher tier than king.

Thanks.

His territory is a part of the Eastern half of the Roman Empire. To get the CB on him you either need to reunify the Roman Empire or be the only half left. As the WRE at start you reconquest on the Western half. See also the mod FAQ.

May I ask why? From what I read (though I could be mistaken), he served the WRE before claiming to be WRE Emperor himself, a claim which he never abdicated (and which Zeno didn't contest, unlike with Romulus Augustulus, though he didn't lift a finger to help either)...

May I ask why? From what I read (though I could be mistaken), he served the WRE before claiming to be WRE Emperor himself, a claim which he never abdicated (and which Zeno didn't contest, unlike with Romulus Augustulus, though he didn't lift a finger to help either)...
Yes, you are not mistaken, Nepos is indeed a former Western Roman Emperor in 476 who claims the throne since he no longer de facto controls it. However, historically the Praetorian Prefecture of Illyricum, which Dalmatia belongs to, was in contention between the two halves of the empire, but that ended up with the Western Roman Empire recognising the Eastern Roman Empire's sovereignty over it in 437. Thus in 476 it is considered to be a part of the Eastern half of the Roman Empire.

He didn't pose a further threat to me in my 476 WRE start after sieging down his holdings and making peace, despite him keeping most of his spawned troops. Is he being problematic to you post-peace?

He was, because he could use those spawned troops to raid me.