• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, it may be the 1120's, but I will definitely find a way to become the dominant land empire in the whole world...

Heh. The Coptic horde! :)

Congrats on recovering Alexandria, first city of the Church! Now, on to Venice to recover St. Mark ... unless you already have ;)

In 828, relics believed to be the body of St. Mark were stolen from Alexandria by Italian sailors and were taken to Venice, where St Nicholas, the patron of sailors, had previously been the principal saint who was venerated. A basilica was built there to house the relics.

Copts believe that the head of the saint remained in Alexandria. Every year, on the 30th day of the month of Babah, the Coptic Orthodox Church celebrates the commemoration of the consecration of the church of St. Mark, and the appearance of the head of the saint in the city of Alexandria. This takes place inside St. Mark Coptic Orthodox Church in Alexandria, where the saint's head is preserved.

In 1063, during the construction of a new basilica in Venice, St. Mark's relics could not be found. However, according to ["]tradition,["] in 1094 the saint himself revealed the location of his remains by extending an arm from a pillar.[1] The newfound remains were placed in a sarcophagus in the basilica. [2]

A 1063 raid might explain Nubia's marked improvement over OTL... :D

I haven't done much research into Coptic Christian history, but Venice? Well... Bohemia, Germany, and Croatia all have Crusader States... And the Byzantines are in Russia... Why not go for gold? I'm going to find every Coptic historical site and tear it up...

Get ready for the United States of Nubia!

CrackdToothGrin said:
I haven't done much research into Coptic Christian history, but Venice? Well... Bohemia, Germany, and Croatia all have Crusader States... And the Byzantines are in Russia... Why not go for gold? I'm going to find every Coptic historical site and tear it up...

Get ready for the United States of Nubia!

You're going to take Venice and declare a Republic?!! :wacko:

I don't know, but when Venice is weak and has no allies... It'll come...

It's generally considered bad luck to be a mediaeval republic. We all know what happens to those (enlightened autocracies come and roll over them like a tank).

Oh, I wouldn't do that until later in the game series anyway... I was just expressing my long-seated desire to have a third-rate nation make it that far. In fact, this is the first game of CK I have played that made it past the tenth or twelth year...

C'mon guys, it wouldn't be an improbably CK game if he didn't take Venice. Everyone takes Venice. ;)

Chapter Six="Vain Ambition"

Yassir was furious. Traveling across the Arabian Peninsula had left him tired and weary of combat. Now the Emirate of Medina, master of the desert, had declared war upon him. He hadn't enough time to march to his back to his homelands. He could picture arriving to see mosques mid-construction over the burning husks of his once-proud churches.

He shook his head clear of the image and continued to pace in his tent. The noise outside was merry, and full of activity. The men knew who they were to fight, but were not worried. They felt as if they had the power of god on their side. Truth be told, Yassir envied them. His own belief had been somewhat shaky as of lately, watching men commit unjustices in the name of God, on both sides of the religions.

The next day Yassir woke and began to attend a large map with Petros to plan for the war strategy when word reached him that a messenger from the Arabians had come to parley. Yassir went outside and saw a train of camels attended to by some very well-equipped soldiers, as well as richly-dressed courtiers. A man with a full beard and full, crimson damask approached Yassir. He smelled like incense and his eyes were dark like the night sky.

"Ah Salaamu Alayakom! Yassir, King of Nubia and Egypt! Prince of Oultrejordain!" he smiled through yellowing teeth.

"Don't even attempt to feed me your false generosity. I know what you came here for. How much will buy us peace?" said Yassir. It felt like he was choking on thiose words as he forced them out.

The Arab just smiled even wider then he had before, "Your... entire treasury..."

At first, there was no option but peace. While Yassir had a large treasury, newly-conquered territory had to be properly pacified and administrated, and Yassir's forces were too spread out to deal with the numerous Arab armies coming north. The peace, and subsequent payment of indemnities, was good for Yassir in two ways. First, it distracted the Arabs long enough for Yassir to concentrate his forces, including the raising of new troops for the former Emirate of Amman's territories (Especially in Amman, which had converted to Christianity and was a favorite spot for Christian pilgrims en route to Jerusalem.). This allowed the regiment from Abydos to arrive and join Yassir. While he had been vassalized under Khalil's rule, Yassir had never once met the former Byzantinian before. Secondly, with such a large influx of money, they would begin to build rapidly, neglecting the growing armies on their borders. Just mere months after the first declaration of peace, war was declared again.

Yassir and Petros' plan was brilliant. First, they would declare war on the vassals of the Emirate of Medina. Since war wouldn't be declared directly on Medina, only small forces would come to their vassal's aid at first, and they would have to travel to reach Yassir's forces. Then, Yassir would strike the vassals fast, forcing them to sign peace and yield vast sums of money for indemnities so he could afford his campaign against the real enemy Medina. After the lightning attacks against the vassals, he would take territory one right after the other, and, as the Emir lost territory, his center of administration and personal demense would transfer to his vassals' former territory, making a redeclaration of war unneccessary.

So, throughout the end of 1121, Nubian forces traveled south along the eastern shore of the Red Sea. In early November, Al Jawf was liberated, joining the Nubian Kingdom. That same week, Yassir won a battle against the Arab noble Najmaddin, forcing the Arabs to rout, where he chased them to Hijaz, killing some 1,500 of them in early December. The Emir of Medina came north two weeks later, in mid-December, losing a battle against Yassir's numerical superiority and superior technology. This trend continued over and over again from the end of 1121 through to the end of spring in 1122. Medina was liberated (March the 14th, 1122), as was Mecca (May the 22nd, 1122). A slight pause in combat followed due to the death of Yassir's son, Muaddam, but having not raised him personally, Yassir considered it to be less important than winning the war. Later, Hijaz was liberated (July the 25th, 1122), as was Ar'ar (September the 4th, 1122).

With the Emirate of Medina finished, and the holiest sites of Islam taken directly under the control of a Coptic Christian ruler, Yassir of Dongola had firmly earned his place as a legend. Now, Yassir sat back, watching, waiting, for the Islamic world to come crushing down to reclaim its lost lands. There would almost certainly be a Jihad, but from whom, and when?...

The Kindom of Nubia, Egypt and Arabia
NubiamidYassir.jpg

Yassir of Dongola
YassirofDongola.jpg

I like to fluctuate the taxes and power from the peasants to the clergy and back again, fight off a few revolts, and then, basically force the region to convert. I'm going to wait and hope the Crusader States do the same before I try to take them over. The last thing I need besides the inevitable rebellions from bad reputation is revolts from pissed off Muslim subjects.

On a different game note, in a weird twist of events, the Muslims have taken Iberia, and the Spanish kingdoms have moved to North Africa. It's like they flip-flopped.

Okay, I decided that I couldn't wait for a scanner, so I drew, then photographed this picture (With my little $100 Kodak) and modified it in photoshop.

Yassir of Dongola
YassirDrawing.jpg

Wow, cool pic!:)

Perhaps he'll trade Mecca for Jerusalem, but I doubt it, Yassir is too shrewd for that, nice drawing. My abilities are limited to stick figures.

Tax all the hajjis now. Make lots of money.

Chapter Seven= “Birth of the Four Kingdoms”

With the loss of Mecca, the holiest of all Islamic sites, the Muslim world was outraged. Quick to avoid an outright revolution, Yassir quickly carved up his territories, making sure to put a fair and just ruler in charge of the city. However, behind the scenes, he also instructed the nobles to work closely with the clergy to spread the Coptic faith as fast as they could. Hordes of Muslim pilgrims were to be expected, but the Coptic Pope of Alexandria came down with an edict stating that the city was also one of the refuges for those of the Coptic faith, stating (And many say, creating…) proof that the site was to be considered sacred for all times. Knowing that the hammer would eventually fall, Yassir moved his capital to Alexandria from Cairo in 1123, to further distance himself from the Islamic nations. From there, Yassir directed his scouts and diplomats to watch and wait, as well as report, on the goings on of the other Crusader States in the Levant.

Deep in sleep, Yassir was often visited by dreams and premonitions of greatness. Believing them to be the direct result of his noble, ‘divine’ birth, he envisioned himself as the first true messenger and warrior of God. In his dreams, he often saw a great cross laid over the land, and he imagined the four points of the cross to be the Kingdoms of Nubia, Egypt, Arabia, and Jerusalem. Because of this recurring dream, Yassir made his mind to take the Levant, reputation be damned. Plans were set in motion.

The first to go were the remnants of the English, the Crusader State of El-Arish, owned by the Duchy of Norfolk. Knowing that the Duchy was tied in the constant struggle for the throne of England, they would not be capable of defending the province, and Yassir, with a host of three thousand men, invaded and liberated the province in September of 1124. The Duchy of Norfolk made no response to intervene. Yassir gave the province away to one of his courtiers, not wanting to overburden himself or his steward in the process of administration.

Taking the rest of the Levant was not going to be an easy task. The fragmented Muslim nations were too weak individually to take on Yassir’s kingdom, but they were able to take on the fragile Crusader States, who often broke free of their European lieges and attempted self-sufficiency. Yassir decided, for the most part, that he would wait until one of the Jihads directed against these states was successful, whereupon he would invade and take the land for himself. Regionally, Yassir was the superpower, and none dared to challenge him. However, the Seljuk Turks were a constant threat, and word of their vast armies worried Yassir to no end. He would pick his fights carefully, not wanting to bring the vast Muslim hordes upon his own doorsteps.

For several years he waited, mostly tending to his children and building his treasury. In 1129 his wife, Gunhild, gave birth to another daughter, Radiya, and did so to a son, Mahmud, in 1131. That same year, Sirhan, the first-born son of Yassir, was born and was subsequently given the Counties of Amman and Kerak. Yet another son was born, Ibrahim, in 1132, which was also the same year that the Count of Negev was vassalized. After his vassalization, he was stripped of his title and the lands were added to Yassir’s personal demense. Rajiya matured, and was married to Theodoros Sulayman in August of that year.

Upon the urging of Sirhan, the regiment in Madaba was mobilized and lent to Sirhan, and, along with his two personal regiments, war was declared against the Sheikdom of Irbid, a breakaway of the Emirate of Damascus in March of 1133. In a strange show of cooperation, the Islamic soldiers of Damascus and Sirhan’s host sieged and liberated Irbid in May of 1133. The title passed to Sirhan, and he subsequently gave Kerak to his wife, Stanislava. In October, the Count of Jerusalem pledged allegiance to Yassir, joining the Kingdom of Nubia, Egypt, and Arabia.

Through the Muslim soldiers who aided in the Siege of Irbid, Sirhan, and later, Yassir, learned of the Emirate of Damascus’ planned Jihad against the Prince of Galilee. Not wanting to allow the provinces to fall to the Muslims, Yassir mobilized his entire nation’s army, some 27,000 troops. He let the Jihad continue as planned, but the territories did not recognize the Emir’s authority, and Yassir delared war on the Sheikdom of Tiberias on January the 1st, 1134. 14,500 men liberated Beersheb on January the 30th, and Yassir, with 11,500 men, liberated Tiberias on February the 11th, which was also the day he declared war upon the Republic of Genoa. Without enough troops to defend the provinces of Hebron, Ascalon, and Darum, they were taken throughout the spring, until peace was established with the Republic in April of 1134.

Done with war for a while, Yassir turned to his niece and chancellor, Sajida, to diplomatically annex the Countess of Acre (April of 1134) and the Count of Al Alamayn, a recent breakaway from the Kingdom of Naples (July of 1136). During this time period, Jaffar, the third son of Yassir, matured and was married to the daughter of the Count of Samos, Maria Kommenus, in October of 1134. As a wedding gift, he was given rulership of Hebron and Madaba. Additionally, after much annoyance with his daughter Rajiya’s constant attempts at interference in political matters, she was given the title to Negev. Finally, to establish his personal supremacy, the finishing touches were put on the Grand Palace of Alexandria. His dream complete, Yassir declared himself the ruler of the Four Kingdoms (Nubia, Egypt, Jerusalem, and Arabia). He declared upon the completion of the palace that the Four Kingdoms were to be at all times considered sacred property of his line for all time, an empire to last for thousands of years.

Now, he asked himself, what was next?

Iberia? The Muslim nations had taken it and had even pushed into southern Aquitaine, but the Reconquista was not over, as the powerful Kingdom of Scotland had retaken Galicia and the Kingdom of Bohemia had conquered virtually all of North Africa west of Tunis. The Muslims were being hemmed in on all fronts, would he move in to take what he could before it was all over?

The Anatolian Peninsula? The Byzantines were perhaps the only bulwark for Seljuk expansion and war with them would weaken both nations against the immense Muslim powerhouse. The Seljuks were just too strong…

But ah… the Seljuks. It would take someone truly mad to take them on…

The Four Kingdoms
:EDIT: The Light Green and Dark Green comment on the bottom is mixed up
TheFourKingdoms.jpg

Yassir after the establishment of the Four Kingdoms[/B]
YassirofDongola2.jpg

If you absorb Damascus and Edessa, as I suspect you will, the Seljuk's can and will go down. Good luck.

Unfortunately, both are allied to vassals of the Seljuks. In order to avoid conflict, I will wait for them to break alliances or get involved in another war, most likely with the Cumans, the masters of Russia.

NOTE: This post will be edited to show my map, once I redo it... Unfortunately, it was lost in a memory dump, but it should be up within a few hours...

Chapter Eight=“How the West Was Won… Part One”

Yassir paced back and forth inside the halls of the Grand Palace, watching his shadow play against the marble floor from the streaming sunlight filtering in through the tall windows. His cloak hanged dreadfully heavy upon his shoulders, a consequence of growing old. His frame was strong, but was weakening rapidly as the time passed. The sound of the courtiers, pilgrims, and servants made a low rustle, disguising the footsteps of Petros Argyros, the famed marshal of the Four Kingdoms.

“Uncle, may I have a word with you?” said the aging commander, his eyes slowly analyzing his relative and liege’s movements for a response.

“Petros, you have served me faithfully for years. Together, we have brought the infidel to his knees. We walked side by side into the Dome of the Rock the day we conquered the Islams in their holiest of sites. You may have a word with me anytime.”

The two walked off to a more private chamber, where they discussed the comings and goings of the kingdom, as well as those of the world. There Petros told Yassir of the fall of the Templars. Operatives from an Ismá’ílí Shi’a sect, the Nizari Assassins of Alamút, had assassinated and supplanted the French Knights Templar in Jaffa, declaring it a Sheikdom. This was not to be accepted. Plans were quickly made to conquer the territory and add it to the Four Kingdoms.

War was declared on September the 8th, 1136. Just before marching to war, Nasiba matured and was married to Uways Embriaco, a courtier within the Kingdom. Yassir, with seven thousand men, was ambushed by some seven hundred fighters led by the Jaffa sect’s leader, Murtaza. While the battle was unconventional, it was effective, as the ambush tactics brought Murtaza within striking distance of Yassir himself. In a strange show of bravery, Yassir unhorsed himself and fought the Muslim one-on-one, slaying him and routing the rest of the forces with the help of his cavalry. The siege was also not conventional, being basically a witch hunt amongst caves and villages, but the land was taken by late October of the same year.

Yassir’s bravery emboldened him, maybe too much, as he was severely wounded the next year fighting rebel forces in El-Arish. His injury pained him deeply, confining him to bed rest for a long time. As it was, he only made appearances in matters of family, church, and state, such as the marriage of his son Abdul-Aziz, to Felicia Tomacelli, the Countess of Cyrenaica, in 1139. Within three years, however, his injury had healed, and he was able to take to the field again, in his mind, perhaps for the last time.

On July the 22nd, after marching across the hot coastal sands of the Sahara, war was declared against the remnants of the Emirate of Cyrenaica. Yassir’s host of ten thousand men met the Sheik of Senoussi, Nizmaddin, and his 3,600 men south of the city, easily defeating them. Senoussi was liberate on August the 3rd, 1142. Yassir marched on, perhaps too zealously, as he was again injured in battle outside of Leptis Magna in September, before liberating the province on October the 10th. Marching onward through Muslim territory, he reached the final territory of the Emir of Cyrenaica, in Tunis. There, Yassir and his now 8,500 remaining men battled and defeated Aziz Banu Suleim’s 1,700 soldiers, liberating the city and province on Christmas Day of 1142, as official ownership of the province was assumed on January the 18th, 1143. Tired and weary, Yassir returned home to witness the final stages of construction on the “Au-Anshbe ‘n-Ouro,” or the “Great Academy of the King,” the first war academy of “Fto-ou Mnterro,” or the Four Kingdoms. His injuries got the best of him, and he died on February the 17th, 1143. He was subsequently beautified as Sirhan was crowned king.

Sirhan, First-born of Yassir
SirhanofDongola.jpg

The rest of 1143 went without incident, as Sirhan sent his children off to various nobles and monasteries. His wife gave birth to another son, Saddam, in December. Carving up his territories amongst his vassals, he did little else in his reign until the passing of the year 1145. Then, in February of 1146, he declared war on the Sheikdom of Tripolitana. With Tripolitana’s forces absorbed in a war with their neighbors, Sirhan easily captured the city in September. On a roll, he declared war, in turn, upon the Sheik of Djerba, a vassal of the Kingdom of Beni Helel immediately after taking the province.

Djerba was captured on October the 5th, 1146, and Sirhan continued west, taking Gabes on the 10th of November. Still not facing any major resistance, he traveled onward to Kairwan, taking it on January the 1st, 1147. Meanwhile, the forces of the Kingdom of Beni Helal had recaptured Tunis, so Sirhan headed north, engaging the opposing force in the first decisive battle of the war.

The First Battle of Tunis pitted Yassir’s smaller, better-equipped force of nine thousand men against an Arabic force of twelve thousand. The Muslim light cavalry were particularly effective in the wide, open terrain, but Sirhan won the battle, slaying no less than eight thousand Infidels to his own losses of 6,500 Nubian soldiers on March the 28th, 1147. While besieging the city, a relief force attempted to sally against Sirhan, led by Turki al-Nasser. The Second Battle of Tunis, while smaller than the first, was no less significant. In the end, the better equipped Nubian heavy infantry held their own against the Muslim forces, causing the loss of 1,400 of Beni Helal’s best soldiers to a loss of four hundred of his own men o June the 9th, 1147. Meanwhile, the fleeing remnants of the First Battle of Tunis had traveled south to recapture Djerba. They succeeded, but Djerba was retaken again by a relief force of ten thousand men led by Manuel Argyros in August. Tunis was taken on August the 15th of 1147, followed by Bizerte October the 28th of 1147. Medjerda soon followed, being captured on November the 25th, 1147. Peace was signed four days later.

Sirhan divided his newly conquered territories before traveling across the sea to Palermo, in his next stage of conquest. There, he met and hired a regiment of Bulgarians, the descendents of the Bulgarian Eagles that had help his grandfather almost fifty years before. They traveled south to capture Sircusa, held by Muslims, on May the 19th, 1148. There, they lost the battle, suffering over two thousand casualties. Once home, Sirhan greeted his newly matured brother, Mahmud, promising him the future rights to the territory, as he sailed again to Siracusa, capturing it on June the 28th, 1149. Meanwhile, the forces of the Sheikdom of Siracusa had traveled Tunis and Bizerte, capturing them again. Forces south of these provinces were mobilized and sent north.

As Ibrahim, another brother to Sirhan, was married to the elderly Matilda Scoto, Countess of Trapani, Tunis was retaken. On January the 1st, 1150, Mahmud was given Siracusa as Sha’ban Isa traveled north to liberate Bizerte again on February the 2nd, 1150. With diplomatic prowess, Sirhan vassalized the Count of Annaba and . Crowning himself Prince of Kairouan, Tunis, and Leptis Magna, as well as King of Tunisia, Sirhan decided that he too would achieve greatness enough to be beautified, possibly even sainted, like his Father…

Sirhan of Dongola
SirhanofDongola-1.jpg

Nubia has had two great kings in Georgios and Yasir, Sirhan has a lot to live up to. The conquests are really quite unabated, Nubia is relentless. Sirhan might not have the long reign of his predecessors though- his traits are shot lives ones I think.