What are the best race vs secret tech combinations for role playing purposes?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Techgenius

Recruit
May 23, 2020
With the new DLC arriving soon, there will be 7 playable races and 7 secret techs. What I want to do is match 1 of each, with no duplicates, for complete variety. I want them to pair well for role playing purposes, rather than best efficiency. In addition, I am trying to do the same with perks (as much as possible) if you also have any ideas for that.

• Dvar: Promethian. Because the forge of the dwarves should burn as hot as possible, and environmental problems are someone else's concern. More broadly, the Dvar are thematically fairly straightforward "fancy machinery for the win" and Promethian is the least exotic themed tech.
  • Assembly: Synthesis. Because evil cyborgs + hackers for the win. More broadly, Assembly is the closest faction (aside from the NPC Autonoms) to an AI faction, with deliberate "Borg" overtones. As such, a technology based on hacking and networking units makes the most thematic sense for them.
  • Syndicate: Psynumbra. Because evil psychic slavers deserve evil psychic powers.
  • Amazon: Xenoplague. Amazons are biologists gone mad. Xenoplague is a mad biologist's dream. Specifically, the Amazon's backstory is that they are genetic engineers/terraformers who were forced to use their terraforming/genetic engineering skills to engineer themselves and the wildlife in order to survive. The Xenoplague essentially genetically engineers whomever it infects to create a new creature in service to the Xenoplague user. It seems a logical continuation of their path.
  • Kir'ko: Celestian. The Kir'Ko are a psychic race that wishes to restore their ancient civilization (whether that involves restoring the queens, taking revenge or just trying to forge a new life) and Celestian is essentially a psychic religion that focuses on mending (or, for the cynic "mending") society.
  • Shakarn: Heritor. The Heritor are a sinister secret cult that has hidden in the shadows, ready to strike now that the Star Union is fallen. The Shakarn are a sinister secret alien race that has hidden in the shadows, ready to strike now that the Star Union has fallen.
  • Vanguard: Voidtech. Mostly by process of elimination, but it's based on old Star Union hyperdrive technology. Given that the Vanguard's origin story is that they are a unit from the golden age of the Star Union that has finally arrived due to technological difficulties with space transport, it at least somewhat fits. If a hyperdrive breakdown had cost me literally centuries of my life, I'd want to make sure I understood everything about hyperdrive going forward as well.

I considered Vanguard/Promethian and Syndicate/Heritor for thematic reasons as well, but that led to awkwardness for the Dvar and Shakarn, as none of the others seem particularly appropriate for them. Swapping Amazon/Kir'Ko is also a possibility.

I did some Planetfall "role-playing" back in the day, and here's what I came up with:

Commanders.jpg

1. Vanguard/Psynumbra - Evil Dark Emperor who pacts with demons. So cliche :p
2. Kir'ko/Xenoplague - Evil man-eating and brutal alien race.
3. Amazon/Celestian - Enlightened and "live-in-harmony with the world" good faction.
4. Syndicate/Voidtech - somehow the set-up seemed cool to me. Assasins that use phase-shifting.
5. Assembly/Synthesis - it goes well thematically and when it comes to synergy. I see them as high-tech "join-us-or-die" warlike faction.
6. Dvar/Prometheans - fire means fire proof suits and suits are Dvar speciality :)

I know it's not the most original role-play design, but I was focusing on making them look badass. Yeah I know, I seem to be having a weakness to capes :D

There is Heritor ST so I paired it with Syndicate. They seems to pair together well.

When it comes to Shakarn... hmm that is actually hard. I think if anything they are closest to Voidtech, Promethean or Xenoplague.

PS: Feel free to get inspiration from my designs if you like them :)