What are the advantages of defending a colony in combat?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
There are three advantages.

The first is that you arguably have cover for your units. The cover is absolutely abysmal, and some say that it would be better to fight in the open, but if you use them, the walls have high hit points. I guess that is good.

The second is towers. You get five towers with a 9 range. They hit with strength 7-13. Something like that. They are OK.

Third, you have city operations. These apply to combat anywhere in the city's borders, and is where the defender's advantage is really felt. Some of these operations give exceptional power to your units, or debuffs to your opponents. If you know you are going to be attacked, stack these up.

Know though that no matter what you do, the garrisons are un-modded, and do NOT have any city advantages (well built, etc...). So they SUCK. You will lose badly to any army if you do not have additional units to bolster their numbers. Once in a while though, the computer does not attack with overwhelming strength, and actually loses. It is rare, but sometimes you can defend against a computer. Don't rely on that though.

When defending colonies you get garrisons (yes shitty as coodav said, but still very very cheap defensive units!). But afaik there is no "high ground" advantage stat wise (like range, damage or accuracy). Only thing that matters is cover (please correct me if I'm wrong @coodav).

You say cover as an advantage, but the opponent also gets good cover, so it's like they cancel each other out.

The defence in garrisons is quite abysmal.

It's a different flavour I suppose, one I'll have to really get used to as time goes on.

Flucksen may be right though. I think defenders get some sort of accuracy bonus. Like +1 range or some such. I can't recall offhand, but I think I recall something like that. Still though, I LOVE attacking the computer in cities. They bottleneck BEAUTIFULLY on turn 2. You can sometimes catch 5+ units is a 7-hex AOE burst. I am confident that the computer is worse off in cities than out.

It’s all good if nobody remembers.

Always tough to verify things in this game.

I saw a much earlier thread trying to confirm if 2 abilities stacked and no one knew for sure.

Not knowing doesn’t affect my strategy in this case.

There is an accuracy bonus:

But I checked the wiki, and couldn't find anything giving range:

I think it is just accuracy.

I finished the Dvar missions. It was pretty easy. On the 2nd mission I rushed the first opponent in like 8 turns. Then it was me vs the amazon with one extra colony as my advantage. Turned out to be negligible though because my resources was always at healthy levels.

I’m doing the amazon missions now.

Assembly is next!

A turn-8 victory? I must say, that may be a record. I can't recall winning quite that fast, even in the campaigns. Nice.

Still, 8 turns is about how far away the guy is. And typically they start with double or triple your units. That is good work.

Still, 8 turns is about how far away the guy is. And typically they start with double or triple your units. That is good work.
I made sure my 2 main heroes were buffed to the max.

Both had Phoenix Walker as a vehicle and some helpful mods.

i couldn’t figure out how to mod them to the max since phoenix walkers attack is plasma and none of the Dvar weapon tech was compatible.

I settled on healing mods and just went with it.

About defending a city:

Yes, garrison units suck which is a universal truth. However the aim is not necessarily to win the combat as a defender BUT to cause attrition to the invading forces. How to accomplish this? Here are a few tips:

1. Deploy monitor stations around your borders and teleporters to spot invading stacks. Only if you notice them in advance can you save enough energy for the inevitable battle.
2. Cause attrition to the AI by choosing a few key units of the opposition and try to wipe ´em out in a coordinated effort of tactical operations with your lousy garrison forces.
3. Concentrate your outnumbered forces in one corner of the map. The AI ALWAYS attacks on a WIDE front so you will be able to fight with your WHOLE force against fractions of his army. This means that with proper positioning you might even pull off a win in some cases as you grind down his units piece by piece.
4. In most cases you have lost the battle by now but the survivors of the opposition were severely mauled. Choose one of your doom stacks nearby and retake your city without much of a fuss.