• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Looking forward to seeing how the Glorious empire of Britannia continues to grow under your rulers! I'm surprised the Mongols disintegrated that quickly. Not even a trace of them left on your newest map.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Don't think so? I think it was in the game setup rules, but might be an option elsewhere.

But it can be done in concept So Google it? So I guess running a spectator game could literally last forever, or at least a very long time.
I guess I can try to change something in the save. If not, it's no disaster. :) I have 3.5 reign to work with.
Looking forward to seeing how the Glorious empire of Britannia continues to grow under your rulers! I'm surprised the Mongols disintegrated that quickly. Not even a trace of them left on your newest map.
*Normannia, not Britannia. ;) But yeah, keep on reading! :D

Reactions:
Chapter VIII - The reign of Emperor Hamelin I
Welcome back, class! This session will cover the reign of Emperor Hamelin I of Normannia, a man overshadowed by both his predecessors and successors. That does not mean he’s not part of the curriculum, though, and you will get his reign on the questionnaire at the end of the term. That’s a warning.

1xzm4my.png

Butterfly! Quit doing that! We’re civilized people here!

Ahem. Right.

Early in his 23-year long reign, Hamelin I declared war on Francia, and again Normannian arms won the day. Francia never stood a chance. The duchy of Barcelona was now fully Normannian. After the war was over, he let his realm rest, until the truce with Francia was over. Then he declared war on the poor Francians again, this time for the duchy of Leon. He timed it well, for shortly after the war started the Francians descended into civil war. Not a single battle was fought in this war, and a peace treaty awarding Hamelin I the duchy was soon negotiated.

Mr Pip, will you please wake up Lewis? Seriously, this is not that boring! Why do some of you even bother with signing up?

FpdazzW.png

Right. The next few years were spent waging war in Africa, vassalizing several smaller and medium sized realms and then working to convert the new vassals to Christianity. Then, the big event of his reign started, as the Pope called for another crusade for Mesopotamia. This crusade would ultimately end in victory, contrary to the previous crusade. But Hamelin I would not experience this victory, as he would be found dead in his bed shortly before victory was declared. He was 71 years old when he died, having ruled for 23 years. His son Lancelin II ascended the throne, 48 years of age. The new Emperor would prove to overshadow his father, as his father overshadowed him again.

And that is it for today, next time I will require you to read pages 399 to 425.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Not much happened during this reign, so I leave you with a shorter lecture this time around. ;)

Reactions:
Amazing how one can occupy the throne for two whole decades and get pegged as a transition emperor. Just goes to show the extraordinary standard these Normannians have been setting.

Reactions:
It'll be on the test but you completely brushed over it? This is an American university...shit.

Sounds like his reign was pretty good for everyone living under it if he only went to war three times and didn't have to fight much in two of them.

Butterfly! Quit doing that! We’re civilized people here!

Since I now know this is in the US, I'll take that with the mightiest pinch of salt possible. Depending on the state, I suppose.

Mr Pip, will you please wake up Lewis? Seriously, this is not that boring! Why do some of you even bother with signing up?

Beginning to think Mr Pip is some kind of strange janitor who stands at the back of class and pokes people with a stick.

• 2Haha
Reactions:
Amazing how one can occupy the throne for two whole decades and get pegged as a transition emperor. Just goes to show the extraordinary standard these Normannians have been setting.
He was kinda peaceful. But boy did he rake in money! Remember that tease screenshot a while back? It was from around the end of his reign...
It'll be on the test but you completely brushed over it? This is an American university...shit.
No no, read the pages assigned, follow the lectures and read the lecture notes I leave at the entrance. All you need. Sheesh. It's even a multiple choice test this time. Youth these days...
Sounds like his reign was pretty good for everyone living under it if he only went to war three times and didn't have to fight much in two of them.
It was prosperous indeed. See the note on his heir in the screenshot? That is 20 odd thousand gold ducats...
Since I now know this is in the US, I'll take that with the mightiest pinch of salt possible. Depending on the state, I suppose.
At your peril...
Beginning to think Mr Pip is some kind of strange janitor who stands at the back of class and pokes people with a stick.
Oh, I lol'ed. So hard! He's a star student, that's what he is. He and Cora, blessed be they. I foresee great academic careers for both of them.

Reactions:
I foresee Butterfly being the boss and earning twice the combined checks of Pip and Cora while doing half the work of either.

Certainly if Pip and Cora are destined for starry careers in academia then they’ll be on minimum wage for maximum hours…

(I presume here things are the same if not worse in the US than the UK?)

Reactions:
I foresee Butterfly being the boss and earning twice the combined checks of Pip and Cora while doing half the work of either. To all a blessed and safe new year.
Certainly if Pip and Cora are destined for starry careers in academia then they’ll be on minimum wage for maximum hours…

There is sadly some truth in that, I think. ;)

Reactions:
All that time spent sharpening the poking stick was not in vain. *Poke*

Oh, I lol'ed. So hard! He's a star student, that's what he is. He and Cora, blessed be they. I foresee great academic careers for both of them.
Why not both? Perhaps I am the Almighty Janitor who knows the course better than the lecturer and helps out by providing crowd control (as it provides an excellent excuse to use the sharpened poking stick).

• 1Haha
Reactions:
No no, read the pages assigned, follow the lectures and read the lecture notes I leave at the entrance. All you need. Sheesh. It's even a multiple choice test this time. Youth these days...

Multiple choice exams at university level? How disgusting...

I foresee Butterfly being the boss and earning twice the combined checks of Pip and Cora while doing half the work of either. To all a blessed and safe new year.

Why not both? Perhaps I am the Almighty Janitor who knows the course better than the lecturer and helps out by providing crowd control (as it provides an excellent excuse to use the sharpened poking stick).

I at least, invisaged a sort of almighty janitor. But very probably yes, networking and um...connecting with contacts...may serve me a great deal. Especially in amercia.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
The test on Hamelin should be easy if you just read the three books on 14th century Norman Barcelona in the recommended reading. Also there are some very good Catalan-language sources if you took the time to do a quick Duolingo course like some of us.

Not exams. Tests. Modern universities have several tests and handins before the final exam...

My uni obviously did not get this memo. But then my final exams were pointless and everything that counted was coursework, so I suppose there’s that.

I am also fully expecting Nikolai to end this AAR with a question paper.

My uni obviously did not get this memo. But then my final exams were pointless and everything that counted was coursework, so I suppose there’s that.
My uni was probably half and half, but all had required work of some kind. Some even didn't have final exams, but rather "folder handins" where you wrote a number of essays etc, got feedback, improved it and then handed in the final result.

I am also fully expecting Nikolai to end this AAR with a question paper.
Hmmmm, interesting thought... ;)

The test on Hamelin should be easy if you just read the three books on 14th century Norman Barcelona in the recommended reading. Also there are some very good Catalan-language sources if you took the time to do a quick Duolingo course like some of us.
See, this is the example extraordinaire of a model student! Way to go Cora!

I guess I can try to change something in the save. If not, it's no disaster. :) I have 3.5 reign to work with.

*Normannia, not Britannia. ;) But yeah, keep on reading! :D

That's what i get for falling asleep in the back of my class XD

I dunno why, but for me i always associate Normans with Britannia. Must be because it's Britanny!

• 1Haha
Reactions:
That's what i get for falling asleep in the back of my class XD

I dunno why, but for me i always associate Normans with Britannia. Must be because it's Britanny!
Well, IRL Normans did conquer England. ;) But this is another tale. A tale where Normans built an Empire in the south to rival Rome herself. :D

Reactions:
Chapter IX - The reign of Emperor Lancelin II
Welcome back, class. Today we will cover the reign of Lancelin II, a reign that would show the wealth of the ever dominating Hauteville dynasty. His reign would see vast shows of this wealth, as well as war, science, and internal restructuring.

Lewis! Eyes here, and not on young Cora!

cfTNxT2.png

Right. The start of Lancelin II’s reign would see success, as well as weakening due to the cost of this success. The crusade for Mesopotamia was successful and installed a Hauteville on the throne, but it also cost many men. Men that needed to be replenished. And before this could be done, some Normannian vassals smelled blood. Demanding less crown authority in the wake of the crusade, a weakened Lancelin II had to concede to the liberty faction’s desires. Only many years later would he be able to regain this strength of the throne.

Another problem also arose at this time. Normannia was becoming huge, and her vassals many. Too many, it would turn out, for the Emperor to handle effectively. A need for internal reform was more and more pressing, as resources was wasted governing many smaller vassals from deep in Africa to the Franconian border. As such, Lancelin II decided to grant several of his many kingdoms to loyal vassals, all of Hauteville blood. Thus, the direct line of responsibility became one of fewer, more powerful, players. In the end, this meant more effective bureaucracy, but also more potential for unrest if a vassal got uppity.

Speaking of uppity, what did I just tell Lewis, young Butterfly? Eyes here, in front! And do stop talking while I’m lecturing!

Ahem. In the wake of the weakening of royal power and restructuring of the Empire, Lancelin II gathered his vassals in Palermo for a crowning. Not content to be dual Emperor, and in light of the continued expansion into Africa, Lancelin II was on Januaryt 6th, 1393 AD a triple Emperor, now adding the Empire of Kanem-Bornu to his titles. A feast of epic proportions was held, told of in decades to come. Even the Pope is said to have become, let’s say a bit in a festive mood at this occasion.

That is not an invitation to bring up your liquor, young Butterfly! Heavens, have some decency and wait with that until after the lecture!

Right. In the wake of this creation of the triple-Empire, Lancelin II founded the university of Salamanca, expanded with smaller wars in Africa. But the main thing he did, his definite legacy for the world, was he ordered the entire treasury of Normannia used to build. He built cities, church cities, baronies. All over the realm, an unprecedented expansion begun.

In 1403, four cities and one church city was build in Iberia. Four cities and two church cities was built in Italy. But Africa was where it really happened. In 1403 alone no less than fourty-nine cities were founded all over the continent, in addition to six church cities. The next year, another seven cities were founded in Africa. The year thereafter, another eight cities was founded in Africa.

Then, Lancelin II set his eyes on the Byzantine Empire. The ancient Empire, heir of Rome, was at this time mostly dormant, having taken parts of Egypt and Cyrenaica in a resurgence as Catholic Europe and Normannia conquered the rest of the Middle East in the crusades. His grandfather and namesake had humbled Constantinople twice. Now, Lancelin II claimed his rights to the lands of the Byzantines in Egypt. The war started in 1405 and lasted less than four years. Before long, not only Egypt but also the old and mighty city of Constantinople had fallen to Normannian troops.

With the peace accord in 1409 ending the third Byzantine-Normannian war no more wars was fought during the man’s reign. Rebuilding his Empire’s treasury, the Emperor would be found dead in his bed on August 5th, 1412. He would be succeeded by his son Hamelin II, aged 45 at the time.

CJb4qjb.png

Now, for the next lecture I will need you to have finished and handed in the paper on Lancelin I. No extensions this time, young Blair! Also, I require you to read pages 427 to 450. In the correct book this time Mr. Duke!

• 1Love
Reactions:
Oooh, a triple emperior already. And 49 cities in Africa? That is impressive.

Quite an Emperor you got there.

Reactions: