• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Guy I was a glorious leader, indeed! Shame his newer crusading kingdom was lost quickly.

Guy II needed to get out of his father's shadow quickly. The Mongols's defeat was good, but it was far too reliant on fortune. Wonder why they were in a civil war?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Guy II needed to get out of his father's shadow quickly. The Mongols's defeat was good, but it was far too reliant on fortune. Wonder why they were in a civil war?
As they have gone Hindu, perhaps someone is claiming they are the re-incarnation of the Great Khan?

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Glad to see a properly large Mongol Empire for once.

Looking forward to the next update on...err... What A Bertran!
It was scary! :eek:

Bertran will be an interesting guy, but he is no Guy. :D
That was one very impressive Mongol Empire indeed. Now, not so nice. :D

And if you're lucky and Bertrand the Younger does not get leprosies and plagues and stuff, he will rule for a long-long time indeed.
Yeah, I panicked when I got the demand... My rulers tend to live long btw, those genes in Robert the Fox, who almost became 90, is great!
Are there auto saves on 4 January and 4 July like CK2? I am sorry Professor @Nikolai, but my virtual dog ate my virtual homework!
That's no excuse... I am lenient though and will give you an extra day.
Guy I was a glorious leader, indeed! Shame his newer crusading kingdom was lost quickly.

Guy I was simply put amazing. I just HAD to write a story about the guy and his descendants! As for the civil was, I have no idea. It was a lucky break in any case!
As they have gone Hindu, perhaps someone is claiming they are the re-incarnation of the Great Khan?
Heh, perhaps. :D

Reactions:
I will try to write the next update tonight or tomorrow. :) In the meantime, have a small sneak peak from the situation resource wise in 1393 (no map). :)
1608148606464.png

Reactions:
hahahahahaha oh my god

• 1Like
Reactions:
Reactions:
You didn't pull the No-Vassals Maneuver, did you? How did you pull that off?

• 1Like
Reactions:
You didn't pull the No-Vassals Maneuver, did you? How did you pull that off?
Emperor with stewardship lifestyle, many vassals which of most has extortionate taxes, and control over all of Iberia, most of Africa + I've been investing a LOT in my demesne.

Right now in my game, in 1414, I have a new Emperor so less income, but still great. As you can see, my vassals give me a lot of income:
1608157061205.png

Why I have much less money:
I may have invested in 81 new settlements all over my Empire...

Reactions:
Reactions:
Chapter VI - The reign of Emperor Bertran I "the Foolish"
Welcome back, class. This lecture will cover the reign of Bertran I, who was only 17 years of age when he ascended the throne. His hold of power was tenuous from day one and he survived his 48 years on the throne by use of much force, beheadings and spread of dread amongst his subjects.

9fKWV0p.png

Young Butterfly and Blair! This should be unnecessary to say, but we do not tolerate bubblegum during lectures, especially when you do that with it! Silence, now!

Ahem. Right. About the dangers to Emperor Bertran I’s reign, his main rival was his uncle William, a relatively gentle soul that many vassals thought easy to manipulate and a preferable choice to Bertran. This threat would remain for most of Bertran’s reign, and was kept at bay, as mentioned, by executions, imprisonments and other measures spreading dread amongst the nobles.

That is not to say that there was nothing happening during his reign except holding on to power, though. Far from it. Bertran I was measured, patient and powerful and he used it all for his benefit. Early on in his reign, smaller wars were had both in Iberia and Africa. Then, a long time of no wars. People began to question him, calling him “the Foolish” behind his back. Not understanding he was playing the long game.

Then, the whole of the kingdom of Galicia was swallowed whole after years of gathering claims. Not long after, in 1305, he declared war on the king of Andalucia and claimed the throne for his vassal, the duke of Rif. The kingdom thus became a vassal kingdom, and the Norman presence was greatly expanded in Iberia.

Young Blair! Yes, you! Don’t think I didn’t see it. Hand it back to Mr. Dude. Now.

Right. In a lighting campaign in 1306, Bertran I expanded Normannian influence in Iberia even more. The king of Valencia, a Hauteville, was politely asked to submit as a vassal. The man was stupid enough to not only refuse, but also imply certain things about Bertran’s grandmother and a horse, and was soon set in his place. Thus another kingdom was added to the Normannian Empire.

Then, came another crusade. The queen of Flanders had been a naughty girl and converted to a certifiable non Catholic creed, and the Pope was not amused. The crusade got the full might of Normannia behind it and the whole ordeal was won more or less singlehandedly by Normannian arms. Thus, a new and small Hauteville kingdom was added to Europe, that of Lotharingia.

And then we come to the probably most devastating occurrence in Bertran I’s life. And the moment he did something decidedly not calculated and unwise. His son and heir Lancelin was discovered in bed with his own sister, doing decidedly non-sibling actions. Enraged, the Emperor publicly shamed his son and daughter as fornicators of the worst kind, not only adulterers, but incestuous adulterers. He did, however, keep Lancelin as heir, with all the implications this would have for the future Emperor’s relations with his future vassals.

The last actions of the Emperor was a war with the Empire of Francia, claiming the southern lands that was de jure Normannian. The war went swimmingly well, but the poor Emperor’s health quickly worsened and he died mid war, aged 65. He had ruled for 48 years. His son Lancelin succeeded him on the throne at the age of 44.

4uts2lf.png

And that ends today’s lecture. For next week I implore you to read pages 316 to 355 in Hallisfield. Oh, and Mr. Pip, excellent work on last week’s assignment. If only you all would follow his lead…

• 1Love
Reactions:
I love how the heir can be literally be having, um, relations with their sister and still get the “he is sure to be admired by his subjects” succession screen.

Reactions:
That's a big empire you're building. Are you going for the Roman Restoration?

Reactions:
I love how the heir can be literally be having, um, relations with their sister and still get the “he is sure to be admired by his subjects” succession screen.
Haha, yeah. Quite a misnomer. :p :D
That's a big empire you're building. Are you going for the Roman Restoration?
Nah, I'm just having fun. :) I did have a wish to unite West Africa and Iberia though.

Reactions:
Well, it sounds like his sister certainly admired him, why wouldn't everybody else?

Reactions:
Well, it sounds like his sister certainly admired him, why wouldn't everybody else?
Well, spoiler, but something must have happened, for when the brother took over they were no longer lovers and she wasn't interested in rekindling their relationship. Not that I tried. Nosirree.

• 2Haha
Reactions:
Well, spoiler, but something must have happened, for when the brother took over they were no longer lovers and she wasn't interested in rekindling their relationship. Not that I tried. Nosirree.

Look, I absolutely would have done the same, particularly if I was writing an AAR.

Reactions:
Lancelin believed in keeping your friends close, enemies closer, and your family closest. Thank you for updating and may you and your loved ones have a safe and blessed holiday season.
You know, that is quite true. :D :p Have a safe and blessed holiday season, Midnite Duke! And a 2021 that is at least quickly corona free. :D
Look, I absolutely would have done the same, particularly if I was writing an AAR.
Hehe, yeah I believe you. :p Was a letdown when he inherited and there was no trace except their respective incestous traits of their relationship. 5% chance of accepting to romance too.

Reactions: