• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Nikolai

Basileus Romaion
78 Badges
Jun 17, 2001
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
Well, hello there!

I've been playing as the de Hautevilles lately, and while I never planned to write an AAR from that game, I figured I just HAD to do it in the end. My fifth ruler just had a story to tell all by himself. :D
And the world he inhabits is not bad either. :)

I don't know how long this AAR will last, at least it will cover Guy's reign and some background. I've not decided yet. Perhaps it becomes only a few chapters, perhaps it will be more. I will let the muses decide. :)

First chapter is up in a minute.

Game is vanilla 1.1.3, no mods.

Reactions:
Chapter I - Normannia 101
Welcome to Normannia 101. As you know, this collection of lectures will cover mainly the reign of Emperor Guy I and onwards. Although we will get into his predecessors and the world at large during these next weeks.

Professor Monroe and I will of course require your coming assignment to be written by the standards stipulated by the university. That means you too, Lewis. I was most disappointed in your last paper.

Ahem. Well. Let’s start with February 7th, 1215. The day the Empire of Normannia was born. How did the world look at this point? Normannia was, of course, one of the most powerful entities in the Christian world, but she was not without equal.

Let’s look at the world of the de Hautevilles at this juncture in time, shall we?

BU94G41.png

Normannia. Until recently the quite powerful kingdom of Sicily. It’s humble beginnings started in 1086 when Robert “the Fox” with papal blessing created it. After this, successive kings – with Emperor Guy being the fifth king of Sicily, had slowly grown the realm to include much of Northern Africa.

After Robert came Bohemond I, followed by Bohemond II. The latter fought the powerful Almoravids and won his initial war against them against immense odds. Luck, perhaps. But definitely also skill. He would later take out half of the Almoravids’ realm in a successful invasion between participating in a successful crusade.

Then came Guy I of Sicily. That would be the father of Emperor Guy I, who thus was the second king Guy of Sicily. His reign was relatively short, only ten years, before he died under mysterious circumstances. He did improve the economy and military might of the realm, though.

Lewis! Young Butterfly! Pay attention!

Ahem. Right.

These five kings also dominated the crusades at the time. Already in 1137, a Hauteville, king Alfons I, was placed on the throne of Jerusalem by king Bohemond II, the first of many crusades where Hautevilles would be enthroned.

Barely a few decades later, in 1161, king Odo I would be placed on the throne of Syria by the same Bohemond II. Both kingdoms were in 1215 doing well for themselves, especially Jerusalem, which had conquered Mecca and Medina.

Then you have the kingdom of Andalusia, which is interesting in how it was conquered not once, but twice by first Guy I of Sicily and then the then Guy II of Sicily, both times enthroning their relative Turquetil I. First time was in 1181, before a popular Muslim revolt destroyed the kingdom in 1188. But in 1193 in another crusade Turquetil was again placed on the throne. This kingdom is in 1215 lost to the de Hautevilles, with an Italian of another dynasty taking the reins. Still, good relations existed between Normannia and Andalusia.

Lastly of the crusader states born by Norman arms are the kingdom of Valencia. Only five years old at the time of the rise of the Empire, it was conquered in 1210 and ruled by the Hauteville king Odo I.

And that is unfortunately all we managed to get to this lecture. Next time we will look further on towards the rest of Europe and its surroundings.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Heh, Jerusalem taking Mecca and Medina.
But hey, glad to see another Hauteville. You just created Maghreb Empire and named it Normnnia?

• 1Like
Reactions:
So a house that is very good at fighting, but quite poor at picking who to put on the throne (Turquetil I has not impressed) and unimaginative with names (two King Odo I, at the same time!)

Fingers crossed they can keep it longer than in Nikolai's other AAR.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Lovely! Always excited to see another @Nikolai AAR.

Those Hautevilles always make for a good story.

I’m very excited to see just what kind of a “Guy” this mighty emperor turns out to be!
Thanks my friend and welcome! :) This Guy is quite something. Say no more (yet).
But hey, glad to see another Hauteville. You just created Maghreb Empire and named it Normnnia?
I did! :) Empire of Maghreb sounded more Arabic than Norman, don't you think? ;)
So a house that is very good at fighting, but quite poor at picking who to put on the throne (Turquetil I has not impressed) and unimaginative with names (two King Odo I, at the same time!)
Turquetil I was a disappointment. He lost his realm to some petty rebels so fast. And when he didn't, he lets some Italian dude inherit instead of a good Norman Hauteville?? Preposterous. :p
Fingers crossed they can keep it longer than in Nikolai's other AAR.
They already have, I think. :p

Reactions:
This is some proper classic history book stuff. Love it.

Reactions:
Signing on here!

Reactions:
Normans going full African

Reactions:

Be interesting to see if it is a viable strategy, because it isn't really in CK2. Africa is too poor, too hard to get around and not easily developed into a proper empire.

Reactions:
Can't wait to see what happens.

I'm curious if one could get the Unite Africa decision if you changed your capital to somewhere in Africa.

Reactions:
Looks fun. I like the concept of a short AAR, covering only a few years or decades of time.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Signing on for some Norman antics!
Signing on here!
Welcome, students!
This is some proper classic history book stuff. Love it.
Glad you like it! :)
It's their destiny...
Be interesting to see if it is a viable strategy, because it isn't really in CK2. Africa is too poor, too hard to get around and not easily developed into a proper empire.
At this time, not too long after conquering the kingdom of Maghreb in an invasion CB, I'm fielding 15210/20601 troops, of which 11879/17070 is levies. In peace time I earn 24.2 gold per month, of which domain/vassal taxes/church is 7.3/22.3/5.5. Men-at-arms cost me 11 gold during peace. I don't know how good that is compared to other places, but I'm doing well enough I'd say. :) Francia fields a little less than me in comparison. Right now the ERE is in a civil war, so not sure how well off they are, but I seem to remember they are about my strength normally too. Perhaps 1/3rd of my Empire is heathen or heretic btw. More on that later. :)
Can't wait to see what happens.

I'm curious if one could get the Unite Africa decision if you changed your capital to somewhere in Africa.
Interesting thought. I can't see the decision at this point at least.
Looks fun. I like the concept of a short AAR, covering only a few years or decades of time.
Glad you enjoy the concept! :)

ALL: It's been a long week, so have had no time to write much. I've started on the next chapter and expect it to be ready sometime this weekend. :)

Reactions:
Chapter II - The Norman World
Welcome back, class. We start where we left off last week, with the world at large at the declaration of the Empire of Normannia on February 7th, 1215. I will remind you that the paper on Emperor Guy I and the realms ruled by his dynasty is due in only four days. I will not accept any late hand ins this time, without a very good excuse. That goes for you too, Lewis.

Right. In 1215, the premier Christian powers were without a doubt Normannia and Francia. The Empire of Francia was on peaceful to neutral terms with Normannia. No war had ever been had between the two powers. It is clear, however, that the two were infringing on each other’s territory. Francia was expanding into Iberia, where the Normans had waged no less than six holy wars over the last century. Andalucia and Valencia were both in Normannia’s sphere of influence, but let’s look at the political map on the screen behind me, shall we.

XxFHYiQ.png

There. Neatly between Valencia and Andalucia. A Francian enclave. There definitely were tensions at the time. Several letters between the two Emperors have been salvaged from the mist of time. But no one wanted war, that much seems certain.

Then we look north. The kingdom of Herefordshire and Danelaw. England was long gone as an entity. Danelaw was created by the Danish king Asbjørn “the Dane” back in 1079 and had been in existence since then. It did not unite the English realm under Danish law for long, though. In 1094 king Harold Godwineson conquered much of Danelaw through a populist Anglo-Saxon revolt against the Danish conquerors. Quite a comeback for the Anglo-Saxon king, wouldn’t you say? Since then, the two had coexisted and done their share of warring. None got the upper hand, though.

Allright then. Let’s look east. The Holy Roman Empire had got on difficult times. Losing its Italian provinces, it was weak and vulnerable, as the rise of Poland and Byzantium in it’s old provinces should prove.

cXIOuRz.png

In fact, it was also in the middle of a religious revolution. Let’s look at another map. As you can see, the Orthodox faith of the Byzantines had taken hold in not only the Holy Roman Empire, but also in Scandinavia. Curiously enough, the Irish Christianity we know as Insular Christianity had also had a resurgence – in the Byzantine Empire of all places. This was a time of religious upheaval, with Orthodoxy on the rise in in central and eastern Europe, and Catholicism on the rise in former Muslim parts of the world.

OMqUg0i.png

The latter is much due to the strong expansion of Normannia over the last two centuries. Northern Africa in 1215 was increasingly Orthodox and Catholic. Christianity was on the rise. Islam was at this point sent towards the fringes, as you can see in the last map above. But also Islam was expanding, gaining ground in the midst of Africa as well as the Russian steppes.

Well then, that is what we got through today! Next time we will begin to cover the life and reign of Emperor Guy I, make sure to read pages 156 to 204 in Danheim’s before the next lecture! I’m looking at you young Blair! Don’t think I didn’t catch your confusion earlier. It is important you all come prepared.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Well that's me told… :p

Bizarre European map, particularly at the religious level, but not without its fun. England is a mess as always. The Kingdom of Hereford is a very strange phenomenon and one which, frankly, makes me vaguely uncomfortable. Godwineson as a popular folk hero king is quite the nice touch, mind.

Everything seems pretty carefully balanced at the moment, but with that comes unease. Normannia can strike in a few places. Will be interesting to see where it looks first.

Reactions:
Reactions:
The religious map reminds me that I've long wanted to play a Sunni Russian campaign.

Also, that French outpost in Spain is an abomination and should be seized immediately imo.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well that's me told… :p

Bizarre European map, particularly at the religious level, but not without its fun. England is a mess as always. The Kingdom of Hereford is a very strange phenomenon and one which, frankly, makes me vaguely uncomfortable. Godwineson as a popular folk hero king is quite the nice touch, mind.

Everything seems pretty carefully balanced at the moment, but with that comes unease. Normannia can strike in a few places. Will be interesting to see where it looks first.
Yeah, Hereford as a kingdom is pretty awesome and weird. :D The chapters up to now is pretty much what has been and what is now. I have not decided if I will continue the AAR after Guy's reign (which has been long and eventful). Primarily, this is the story of the world up to and during his reign. :)
Absolutely gorgeous colour.
The best. ;)
The religious map reminds me that I've long wanted to play a Sunni Russian campaign.

Also, that French outpost in Spain is an abomination and should be seized immediately imo.
You should do that! :D The Francian outpost is, indeed, an abomination. Why attack fellow Christians when there are so many juicy heathen targets though? ;)

Reactions: