• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Any plans to make use of new features/possibilities offered by the just-released DLC?
We plan to use the offmap power mechanic for the ERE, but that's more of an aspiration than a plan at this point. :p

We're definitely going to be using the revamped tributary system, the dynasty name first feature, and some other very nice newly unlocked modding possibilities though.

We plan to use the offmap power mechanic for the ERE, but that's more of an aspiration than a plan at this point. :p

We're definitely going to be using the revamped tributary system, the dynasty name first feature, and some other very nice newly unlocked modding possibilities though.
I'm a bit curious, what will the 'dynasty name first feature' be used for?

When the mod updates, will it just be a compatibility patch or do you have plans to integrate some of the features of Jade Dragon into The Winter King? I could see the 'Adopt Chinese Imperialism' decision being localized to 'Adopt Roman Imperialism', with the new decision becoming how you adopt the Imperial government.

When the mod updates, will it just be a compatibility patch or do you have plans to integrate some of the features of Jade Dragon into The Winter King? I could see the 'Adopt Chinese Imperialism' decision being localized to 'Adopt Roman Imperialism', with the new decision becoming how you adopt the Imperial government.

We've mostly just integrated minor flavour stuff from JD, like the artifact and book decisions/event chains and the Manichaean Bema decision. Mostly though, in addition to compatibility the update will contain some new features quite unrelated to JD for the most part, which we'll be showing off... soon. ;)

I just downloaded this the other day and have been having a lot of fun so far. Keep up the good work!

I do have two questions, though. Is it WAD that Irish kings can't go to war with each other even if you have a claim? I assume this is intentional as some sort of power balance mechanic.

I also noticed that, as an Irish king, when my vassals rebel against me, such as on a failed imprisonment or a usurper faction, the war immediately ends inconclusively due to "CB no longer valid." Is this also intentional?

I just downloaded this the other day and have been having a lot of fun so far. Keep up the good work!

I do have two questions, though. Is it WAD that Irish kings can't go to war with each other even if you have a claim? I assume this is intentional as some sort of power balance mechanic.

I also noticed that, as an Irish king, when my vassals rebel against me, such as on a failed imprisonment or a usurper faction, the war immediately ends inconclusively due to "CB no longer valid." Is this also intentional?

Neither of those sound WAD, and I can't reproduce these issues. Do you have a save? I assume you're running the mod on CK2 2.7.2, correct?

Where did the Proto-/Old Norse names come from? King Halfdan's in as Halbadanir, but the Wikipedia article on Halfdan pins the reconstructed Proto-Norse form as Halbadaniz, with a z rather than an r at the end. I don't know much about Proto-Norse, so I'm curious about how the name was derived in Winter King and what different approaches there are to Proto-Norse names.

Neither of those sound WAD, and I can't reproduce these issues. Do you have a save? I assume you're running the mod on CK2 2.7.2, correct?
That was it. I didn't check to see what the current version of CK2 was before I started playing. I tried starting as someone with a CB in 2.7.2, and it works.

That was it. I didn't check to see what the current version of CK2 was before I started playing. I tried starting as someone with a CB in 2.7.2, and it works.

Glad to hear. I'm surprised you managed to get it running in 2.8.0 at all, usually major overhaul mods just crash if they haven't been updated for a major patch.

Where did the Proto-/Old Norse names come from? King Halfdan's in as Halbadanir, but the Wikipedia article on Halfdan pins the reconstructed Proto-Norse form as Halbadaniz, with a z rather than an r at the end. I don't know much about Proto-Norse, so I'm curious about how the name was derived in Winter King and what different approaches there are to Proto-Norse names.
Hi, I did those names. Apparently during the Proto-Norse period, the <z> made a sound which is most often called the uvular trill, and which is portrayed by linguists as <ʀ>. I chose to portray this sound with an <r> in order not to make people confused and pronounce the words with a sharp z-like sound. I hope this answers your question.

Romans, for Gens before Cognomen? I guess that would have the ugly klodge of women with the Gens of Julius instead of Julia. Will we get women with numbers instead of names?

That's correct! The nomen is now put in front of the cognomen so that we can finally have Roman names in the proper form. Unfortunately yes, women will continue to use masculine nomen instead of their feminine versions, since that's not moddable. Not sure what you mean by numbers instead of names for women though.

Apparently during the Proto-Norse period, the <z> made a sound which is most often called the uvular trill, and which is portrayed by linguists as <ʀ>

While the sound is conventionally written as <ʀ> in transcriptions of runes, most people don't think it's an uvular trill. Instead it's more likely that it's a retroflex approximant /ɻ/ or fricative /ʐ/.