• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
"Aengland gets destroyed"
That's right - I wrote my heir would get Aenglaland, this was incorrect.
There is no Bretwalda any more, so no Aenglaland. Absolutely fine and historically correct.

But: The laws of Anglia are also reset (no medium crown). I would consider this a bug. If Aenglaland changes the law, and Anglia being part does that too (and you cannot alter Anglia-law differently from Aenglaland), this new Anglia-law should remain even if Aenglaland disappears.

"you default back to standard gavelkind, and so your son inherits over your grandson."
This is fine, but should be presented correctly in the Anglia-inheritance-tab.
One could show either the Aenglaland-version with only one heir (which then would be invalidated when the Bretwalda dies) or one could show the normal gavelkind.

As of now a wrong list of gavelkind-heirs is displayed, which would not be true in any constellation.

"if you want to make sure the succession happens properly"
Thank you for the tip. But actually I don't care so much who inherits - as long as I know who he is.

That's right - I wrote my heir would get Aenglaland, this was incorrect.
There is no Bretwalda any more, so no Aenglaland. Absolutely fine and historically correct.

But: The laws of Anglia are also reset (no medium crown). I would consider this a bug. If Aenglaland changes the law, and Anglia being part does that too (and you cannot alter Anglia-law differently from Aenglaland), this new Anglia-law should remain even if Aenglaland disappears.

Do you mean Tribal Organization? I'm pretty sure tribal realms don't have Crown Authority. As far as I can tell you keep your Medium Tribal Authority after succession though.

This is fine, but should be presented correctly in the Anglia-inheritance-tab.
One could show either the Aenglaland-version with only one heir (which then would be invalidated when the Bretwalda dies) or one could show the normal gavelkind.

As of now a wrong list of gavelkind-heirs is displayed, which would not be true in any constellation.

Thank you for the tip. But actually I don't care so much who inherits - as long as I know who he is.

Modders don't have direct control over what the inheritance tab displays. All we can do is manipulate the laws themselves in a way that makes the game work properly.

I'm pretty sure tribal realms don't have Crown Authority.
I am no longer tribal, but went feudal. Perhaps copying down the Aenglaland-laws to Anglia-laws doesn't work with feudal.

It was a very dumb idea to go feudal. I did it because I like the strategy to attract foreign claimants, build a barony for them and then getting their home country.
But only one of my vassals followed me, so no baronies. And I lost the CB's to conquer briton territory. So I am quite stuck and will have to abandon this game soon.
Well, I just wanted to experience the angle-saxon side, so that's ok.

Modders don't have direct control over what the inheritance tab displays. All we can do is manipulate the laws themselves in a way that makes the game work properly.
So be it. I am really impressed how much can be modded in CK2 - this detail is not really important.

I am no longer tribal, but went feudal. Perhaps copying down the Aenglaland-laws to Anglia-laws doesn't work with feudal.

I see. Since Anglia is a kingdom, it should have its own set of crown laws separate from Aenglaland - it's not supposed to be copied.

It was a very dumb idea to go feudal. I did it because I like the strategy to attract foreign claimants, build a barony for them and then getting their home country.
But only one of my vassals followed me, so no baronies. And I lost the CB's to conquer briton territory. So I am quite stuck and will have to abandon this game soon.
Well, I just wanted to experience the angle-saxon side, so that's ok.

Yes, feudal characters have certain restrictions on using the county conquest cb against tribal realms. Also, unlike in vanilla, vassals also need to have a fully upgraded hillfort in their capital to convert to feudal, even if their liege is also feudal, which is likely why only one of your vassals converted with you.

I see. Since Anglia is a kingdom, it should have its own set of crown laws separate from Aenglaland - it's not supposed to be copied.
That's ok per se. But then it should be possible to modify Anglias crown laws in parallel to those in Aenglaland ((if that's possible with modding).
As far as I know in CR2 empires do not disappear every five minutes, so what laws a kingdom has is unimportant once it is integrated into an empire.

Might be I just tried Bretwalda too early, when higher crown law levels are not yet expected.
vassals also need to have a fully upgraded hillfort in their capital to convert to feudal,
Indeed, that's the point. And later on they seem to be a bit reluctant to change even with fully upgraded hillfort. Perhaps they see I am not really happy with my own feudalism ;-)

That's ok per se. But then it should be possible to modify Anglias crown laws in parallel to those in Aenglaland ((if that's possible with modding).
As far as I know in CR2 empires do not disappear every five minutes, so what laws a kingdom has is unimportant once it is integrated into an empire.

Might be I just tried Bretwalda too early, when higher crown law levels are not yet expected.

Indeed, that's the point. And later on they seem to be a bit reluctant to change even with fully upgraded hillfort. Perhaps they see I am not really happy with my own feudalism ;-)

I'm not sure what you mean by in parallel. Do you mean that if you change Aenglaland's crown laws, Anglia's should be automatically changed to match? I suppose that would be possible, but would be inconsistent with how crown laws work in the mod and vanilla. There are already a few tooltips that indicate that Aenglaland is lost on succession, at least at first.
(Also, since you're talking about crown authority, I assume you don't have Conclave enabled?)

Do you mean that if you change Aenglaland's crown laws, Anglia's should be automatically changed to match?
Yes. That would be one of the variants and it would be logical in a historical/political sense - there is only one set of laws applicable, which is the same for Aenglaland and for Anglia.
The other variant would be to have different sets of law. With Aengaland-laws prevail as long as a Bretwalda rules and Anglia-laws are used when Aenglaland disappears. But then it should be possible to alter Anglia-laws any time, because there are always in existence.

About being Bretwalda, I presume Bretwalda Authority is retained even if your ruler isn't the Bretwalda? Or do you need to get enough to pass the first reform in one lifetime?

Also, in your opinion, who is the best character for playing as Anglo Saxons? Starting as Aelle, it doesn't seem to be possible to stop Anglia from collapsing, and then you get locked into a small kingdom with no expansion routes until county conquest become unrestricted. I tried playing as the Angles, but before I was able to Migrate, Anglia's conquest in Mercia screwed up my borders and I couldn't handle the gore. And do the Angles get any more events after their migration? The Northumbrians are unlanded in Norfolk's court as well right?

About being Bretwalda, I presume Bretwalda Authority is retained even if your ruler isn't the Bretwalda? Or do you need to get enough to pass the first reform in one lifetime?

Yes, but it slowly decays if you're not.

Also, in your opinion, who is the best character for playing as Anglo Saxons? Starting as Aelle, it doesn't seem to be possible to stop Anglia from collapsing, and then you get locked into a small kingdom with no expansion routes until county conquest become unrestricted. I tried playing as the Angles, but before I was able to Migrate, Anglia's conquest in Mercia screwed up my borders and I couldn't handle the gore. And do the Angles get any more events after their migration? The Northumbrians are unlanded in Norfolk's court as well right?

I assume you're talking about the Scyldings when you say the "Angles"? Yeah, they do have a few events/decisions that makes it easier to form Mercia with them.
I guess it depends on what you mean by the "best" character. If you mean easiest, then IMO it's probably North Angles/Northumbria (since none of the northern kingdoms are usually very strong, even if you do have a bit of a late start, and it's not as reliant on how far Anglia gets before it collapses like most of the south).

I think the best character for playing as A-S is the 14 year old duke in frisia region in 410 bookmark. Invade gaul, form Niwestraland, use it as your base and march across the channel!
BTW can we have the new major update in this year?

And after 410 bookmarks, the pretty king of Lindsege in enemy of god bookmark, as the only germanic government A-S independent ruler, is the best choice, I think. But first this character need to survive from the Elmet, The Pennines and Ebrauc, they all have strong kings.

Why?
Does he not have the same issues as Aelle regarding Bretwalda/Aenglaland and scripted revolts?
He has nothing special. I recommand him because he is young and can easily fulfill the invade gaul requests. Invade gaul will give a large number of event troops and most of them will remain even the war is end. When succeed the government type will convert to germanic, this is a huge advantage, and the most important. It is very hard for an A-S ruler to upgrade to germanic government and trible/normal feudal government give very little vassal limits.
In this mod the government type is the most important thing in a realm, the second is ruler culture. Some cultures can immune the large realm debuff, but unfortunately A-S is not in the set, and build university in this mod is not easy.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
OK. That means he gets a duchy in Gaul and can try to build (very slowly) an anglo-saxon kingdom in France.
No not slowly, but very fast indeed. Form Niwestraland need 20 realm size and the kingdom have 10 dejure counties, that means invade Poitou(a 10 counties with 18 realm size duchy) and win another single county conquest war, very fast and easy in fact.

but perhaps it was meant to have an A-S-ruler in Britain ;-)
Niwestraland will become Aenglaland dejure when WRE fall, but can not use it claim Aenglaland. So if you want to be bretwalda, you still need to land Britain.
If you mean born in Britain, I recommand the pretty king of Lindsege in enemy of god bookmark(#5812). He has a hard beginning but very huge potential, but nothing special.

Last edited:
that means invade Poitou(a 10 counties with 18 realm size duchy) and win another single county conquest war, very fast and easy in fact.
Right. I overlooked Poitou when planning my first attempt to invade Gaul - with a three-county-duchy in Normandy is was a bit dull.

Niwestraland will become Aenglaland dejure when WRE fall, but can not use it claim Aenglaland. So if you want to be bretwalda, you still need to land Britain.
Very hard to get CBs (also on the continent - just a single county conquest every some years). So that will take a long time ...

If you mean born in Britain, I recommand the pretty king of Lindsege in enemy of god bookmark(#5812). He has a hard beginning but very huge potential, but nothing special.
Ah no, born in Britain is not the point here. We're talking about germanic invaders anyway - they tend not to rule where they are born ;-)

Niwestraland will become Aenglaland dejure when WRE fall, but can not use it claim Aenglaland.
Will there be any event for the fall of the WRE? Some textbox like "Breaking News: Last emperor deposed, WRE has ended" - "That is interesting."
It's 477 now and there is still an emperor alive and kicking.

I get the option to found the "Cynerikh", but not (yet) Aenglaland. Is there any advantage in claiming the Cynerikh, or later Aenglaland, or the Bretwalda?
If I get no CBs, I could as well continue with Niwestraland.

One more point: Since about 460 groups of Angles appear, conquer some territory in Britain and found their reigns (which will at once be a task for my chancellor ...).
At about 470 a group appeared and the leader offered to swear fealty to me if I helped him against the british kingdom he targetted. I happily agreed.
But I found no way to help him - I just had no CB against this kingdom and his invasion was crushed.
Is that the way this event should work?

Will there be any event for the fall of the WRE? Some textbox like "Breaking News: Last emperor deposed, WRE has ended" - "That is interesting."
It's 477 now and there is still an emperor alive and kicking.

The Fall of the WRE triggers in 480 in the mod.

I get the option to found the "Cynerikh", but not (yet) Aenglaland. Is there any advantage in claiming the Cynerikh, or later Aenglaland, or the Bretwalda?
If I get no CBs, I could as well continue with Niwestraland.

I'm not sure what you mean here. The only Cynerice is the Cynerice of Aenglaland.

Becoming the Bretwalda will allow you to subjugate, and eventually annex, other Anglo-Saxon kingdoms.

One more point: Since about 460 groups of Angles appear, conquer some territory in Britain and found their reigns (which will at once be a task for my chancellor ...).
At about 470 a group appeared and the leader offered to swear fealty to me if I helped him against the british kingdom he targetted. I happily agreed.
But I found no way to help him - I just had no CB against this kingdom and his invasion was crushed.
Is that the way this event should work?

Yes. Giving help means that the leader gets more troops, IIRC.