• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

mjohnson85

Keeper of Western Europe
29 Badges
Apr 12, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV
Western Europe 1337-1469 - The Rose, the Lily, and the Oak

Purpose: This mod strives to emulate the difficulties of managing the realm and capturing the deadly, unforgiving life of the late middle ages/early modern period in Western Europe while highlighting the struggle between the sovereigns and their nobles. It is a complete overhaul with new mechanics and greatly altered vanilla mechanics designed to create a very challenging and tense atmosphere.

Update: V6 b (6/22/15)
NOT compatible with any previous version (v5 or earlier) saves
NOT compatible with the HL patch. In order to play it in its current state you need to roll back to the previous patch.

I am working on a new release for HL

Update Time: I haven't had enough free time to do much testing. So this week I plan on address any issues that crop up and next week I will turn to map touch ups and some flavor events. Hopefully there wont be any game breaking bugs the first coupe days.

Main Mod
Portrait Pack

6b change log
-Fixed religious sites
-Added restrictions to cadets

Change Log v6
Code:
Retinues
    -Limited to Barons (possessing 5 or more provinces), Counts, Dukes, and Kings
Ambitions
    -Orders now count as knight traits
Decisions
    -Your wife can no longer call the children to her court (may change this to the enabling the decision for only the highest ranking spouse)
    -Added additional limitations to making your blood claim (must be stronger to make a claim by cognatic since your base claim is naturally weaker)
    -Temporarily disabled tribals ability to convert to republic until the next update when I will do a tribal update
    -Added claim decisions for Brittany and Lotharingia
Raiding
    -Raised the minimum army size for looters to reduce the number of overall active armies
Buildings
    -Castle fortifications pre-built for capital holdings according to several criteria (not the same as economy buildings)
    -Expanded city buildings
    -City fortifications and expanded buildings are pre-built according to population of the province
    -Increased loot protection by fort level ratio
    -Restricted city moats (water) to provinces bordering major rivers
Economy
    -Dynamic population enabled
    -Added a random population and resource generator for provinces who I have not yet done research on or could not find data on
Sieges
    -Added basic ai weights to whether or not they slight the holding on siege victory (slightly in favor of not slighting)
Knighting on the battlefield
    -Greatly reduced the chance of this event and tied it in to major battles only
Holdings
    -Added X city holdings (every province as a town).  This was a needed change/addition as it opens up an incredible amount of posibilities as far as in-game map developement is concered.  It also prevents low population provinces from being stuck in purgatory forever.
    -Renamed all the cathedrals to reflect the actual bishopric and not the church itself.  So now you will see "Archbishop of York" instead of "Bishop of York Minster Cathedral" or "Bishop of Our Lady and the Assumption".
    -Fixed some erroneous entries in the filler document that caused some holdings to not appear in game (there are now no bugged provinces or holdings)
Map+Titles
    -Added Kingdom of Lotharingia (noble families not all added in)
    -Added navigable rivers
    -Updated the tree map
        -No more trees in the middle of rivers
        -No more trees in the oceans
        -No more trees in lakes
    -Updated the color maps re: lakes
    -Fixed the coastal areas of Zeeland to better represent the time period
    -Added Isles of Scilly (purely aestic)
    -"Flooded" some areas of Friesland that were still under water in the time period
    -Altered the width of rivers to better reflect the scale of the map
    -Fixed several more rivers that were broken
    -Fixed the Island of Belle-Île (in Britanny) being part of Porhoët
    -Fixed area of north Scotland re: height/terrain map
    -Added some lakes
    -Added Duchy (and county) of Reims and granted to bishop
    -Added Duchy (and county) of Laon and granted to bishop
    -Added Duchy (and county) of Langres and granted to bishop
    -Added County of Châlons and granted to bishop
    -Added County of Noyon and granted to bishop
    -Uzès is now a bishopbric.
    -Joux now de jure Forez
    -Duchies of Burgundy, Nevers, and Franche-Comté have been moved under the Kingdom of Burgundy
    -Added County of Montbéliard
    -Added County of Auxonne
    -Split the province of Ross into Ross and Lewis
    -Brittany is now its own Kingdom (de jure)
    -Added County of Roucy
    -Grandpre moved to de jure Rethel
    -Added County of Valentinois
    -Fixed various province borders so that they are alligned with major rivers (on-going work)
    -Many province name corrections as suggested in feedback
    -Added a minimap - not really happy with this but it works in a pinch
Events
    -Fixed bug where soveriegn capital modifier was not being applied to new soveriegn capitals
    -Fixed bug where some opinion modifiers for people late to join wars were not being applied correctly
    -Fixed issue where the the appanage flag was not being removed
Plots
    -Fixed not being able to seize trade post
Portraits
    -I included the WotR portraits as a sub mod.  My original plan was to have 2 sub mods but I discovered some really buggy things with the really new portraits.  So what I am going to do, within the next day now that the update is done, is upload a whole bunch of screenshots of the new portraits instead
        -This sub mod requires the merchant portrait pack (for the headgear)
Misc
    -Fixed some bugs with technology that may have been causing crashes when trying to load for some people (no promises it will fix your issues, but I am trying)
Dynasties
    -Midici changed to de Medici
    -Adding several missing bastards who were Bishops of the Dukes of Burgundy
Bookmarks
    -Began working on a 1337 bookmark importing the data from vanilla noble titles.  WIP, you can see progress by selecting the bookmark (though I would not reccomend playing it just yet)
Traits
    -Prevented TPTT special traits from being randomly assigned at the game start
    -Added royal blood for Lotharingia
    -Added some missing localisation (bloodlines)
    -Added new localisation by Tajerio
Titles
    -Duchy of Bourbon had its dignity increased to make it appear as primary
    -Added localisation for Marquessates
    -Fixed an error in the localisation file that was causing a great deal of localisation to not work (for example, counties were being called duchies)
    -Kingdom of Italy relocalised to Lombardy
    -Sardinia and Sicily given to the rightful holder at game start
Laws
    -Fixed a bug where ai would never change investiture
    -Tribals use tanistry
Peerages
    -Re-wrote the peerage system
        -Logic improved
        -Regents can grant peerages
        -Duchies can now be granted to non royals
        -The appanage title flag (which prevents wars that are ahistorical) is now applied and removed with better logic
Factions
    -Fixed some bugs in faction decisions
    -Added some missing localisation
Cultures
    -Altered name frequencies for some cultures
Religion
    -Toned down agression

Map Features:

The map itself is completely new ( still a WIP) and a new tier system goes along with it.

Emperor are now Kings, Kings are now Dukes, Dukes are now Counts, Counts are now Barons, and Barons are now wealthy Knights, Gentry.

The reason a new tier system was done is because the of the change in the map scale. Provinces no longer represent counties/earldoms as seen below.

Economic Features:

I implemented a resource system and every town/city was researched to represent a relatively accurate depiction of the economy in the time period.

Castles holdings have the capability to build the “gathering” buildings in order to harness the resources while city/town holdings establish the manufacturing buildings.

Gathering buildings lead to different manufacturing chains based on the historical nature of the town/city. For example: flax in one province might lead to linen cloth while in another province might lead to the production of lace.

A population feature has been added. The population is depicted by using a scale representing historical estimates at the province level. The population influences levy size, tax income, level of buildings, and disease resistance. Population levels are affected by several different factors including but not limited to: Disease outbreaks, harrying, raiding, natural disasters (fires/floods), and nearby rival cities.

Cultural Features:

A lot of effort is going to be put into showing the individual identity of each country (and city states, etc). I want France to feel like France. As such, elements of the gameplay change based on location. I want to include elements of the customs of the people into how the game plays out.

For example, I will compare England and France regarding the management of titles. In France some titles could be given away as a dowry, or traded, or willed away. In England those things could not happen. Those types of differences are being focused on.

Law Features:

Laws have been reworked significantly and play a very large role. As I want the interactions between nobles and the sovereign to be a large part of the focus laws made sense as a focus. As such it will be a struggle between the two parties to find a balance.

Trait Features:

A new trait distribution system has been added which is based on the four humors.

Diseases are far more common, deadly and punishing.

New genetic traits added.

Traits now have a much greater effect on the options available. This will force characters to make certain decisions and force them to avoid others. The purpose is have characters follow more realistic decision paths based on their actual defined personalities.

Plot Features:

The plot system has been heavily tweaked to allow faster trigger times to make it a bit more realistic. Additional plots are going to be added.

Council Features:

Council positions have been redone and function differently based on targeted decisions. They also come with significant incomes.

Dynastic/Character Features:

Cadet branches occur naturally and are partly here to combat blobbing. I will give more details a bit later as this is still going through different iterations.

Appanages - New mechanic to combat blobbing. Will follow the customs of the country.

Working on a dynastic rivalry mechanic - more on this later

Historic cadet branches have been added as best I could.

I am adding historical nicknames as I find them.

Peerages are no longer granted by vanilla ways, they must be created and granted using targeted decisions.

New portraits in the works

Integrated Mods:

In the last iteration of the mod I had a lot of mods integrated. Going forward I have decided to integrate as few mods as possible to give myself the greatest amount of freedom in shaping the content to fit my vision. Anything that was previously integrated that does not match my vision has been removed and I will be writting in my own vision going forward.

Integreated Mods, Contributers, Team Members:

NBRT+

Localisation work by Tajerio

Historical Bloodline Project

CoA Templates from Patrum Scutum

Graphical work by solo_ademar from TPTT

Many elements from TPTT by idib816, the GOT team, avee, Wiz, chatnoir17

Faction System by the CK2+ team.

Filler Tool by Jon Stryker

Various trait icons by Parha

Trait and flag templates by Korbah

Resource Research - brandonm699, Professor Teabag, Delred and all the other anonymous researchers

Special thanks to everyone who has been helping with historical corrections/suggestions.

Recruitment:

I am currently looking for people to join the team and help speed things along. Please only volunteer if you are serious about it and can devote time. In particular I am looking for people with an interest in the following:

Character Development:

-Assigning historical traits to characters
-Improving/expanding the current dynasties in game
-Filling out the minor lords for the rest of provinces (can be fictional, single characters are okay)

Holding Ownership:
On a province scale, making sure the correct people own the provinces

Cultural Experts:
-I am a native English speaker and while I am continuing to learn more about cultures across Europe I am still just beginning to learn. I have to use a translator for everything outside the UK so I am 100% positive there are mistakes. I would love someone with more knowledge than I to correct the names of places/people if there are errors.

-Would also love to have people with culture specific ideas for flavor events.

Current Progress:

This is a complete rebuild of the previous iteration known as “War of the Roses” with a much grander scope. The map itself right now is a primary focus as I want to be done with it asap to get back to the coding which is much more fun for me. Right now England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, France, Italy are all done (except for the occasional addition of a county/shifting borders). These will represent the available playable areas in the alpha version coming in the not too distant future. Once that version is released I will spend a couple weeks rolling out updated features. After that I will turn back to the map getting the Iberian peninsula added in and then the HRE (working from west to east).

I will be elaborating on features and improve formatting throughout the day, in a rush to get this up before a long day at work. Hopefully released in a week or 2.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Great continuation to this, subscribed! What is the new official acronym, though? :p

EDIT: Not liking the colours though, especially France and England. Any motivations for changing them?

Reactions:
Looks highly interesting. I will be following your progress!

EDIT: Not liking the colours though, especially France and England. Any motivations for changing them?

I have to admit, it was the only thing that bothered me with the map,
England is red, France is blue, Venice is cyan, etc. It's just the way things are :p

By the way, can't wait for it to come out, it's gonna be great :D
(Also, I love the fact that The Winter King is going to use your map at some point, since so far it is my favorite mod :p)

I would love to help you if you need translations from Italian.

I have to concur on the colours, though. You should keep the same ones used in EU.

Sorry guys.i.should have mentiones the colors, they are only.place holders.and are totally random. Will be normal colors when map is done

Reactions:
Will be watching this, good luck!

So you did upgrade to a new thread, congratulations. Totally subscribed in order not to miss any update to this absolutely promising beast of a project.

Too bad you didn't include the Eastern Med. It's more work, but you'd be able to represent Venice better.

Italy...needs some work. Is that splotch of France in the middle of Piedmont supposed to represent Asti? If so, it's big - waaaay too big. Almost all that land should be owned by the Marquis of Montferrat instead. Nice should be Savoyard, as should be...Savoy, not represented. You have a major player without its center on the map. :D
The Republic of Savona should be independent, as should Massa and Carrara. I think there's more, but will need some bookdigging to see where the situation was in 1469.

Reactions: