• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'd join but I'd be pretty much zombie on weekend so I'd rather not do that. I'm sure the game will start before weekend is over.

I'd join but I'd be pretty much zombie on weekend so I'd rather not do that. I'm sure the game will start before weekend is over.
I'd hunt you first night if it helps

If enough people join in the next hour, I'll learn Danish for theme purposes and to have the eternal gift of feeling Wagonlitz as a kindred spirit.

If enough people join in the next hour, I'll learn Danish for theme purposes and to have the eternal gift of feeling Wagonlitz as a kindred spirit.
Watch out what you wish; Danish is said to be one of the hardest languages to learn. Though to an English speaker it might not be so hard as to say a Romance speaker.
8YahOJf.gif

Watch out what you wish; Danish is said to be one of the hardest languages to learn. Though to an English speaker it might not be so hard as to say a Romance speaker.
8YahOJf.gif

Such skills are among my few claims to being anything more than an utterly worthless and useless individual.

Jeg er en mand. Jeg er ikke en Lego.

How's my progress so far? I started 5 minutes ago. I'll be speaking Lego in no time. When does the licorice arrive in the mail?

I guess if you really need me, I can join, now that my masters thesis is finally done. I hope I'll actually have cell phone service while on the road.
You are always a valuable person on a roster, though if you don't have much time---which is how I interpret your post---I will wait and see if we get an additional 3 players soon before adding you.

Such skills are among my few claims to being anything more than an utterly worthless and useless individual.

Jeg er en mand. Jeg er ikke en Lego.

How's my progress so far? I started 5 minutes ago. I'll be speaking Lego in no time. When does the licorice arrive in the mail?
It is correct. Though 'Jeg er en mand, men/og ikke en LEGO.' would be more fluent. Use men if you mean 'I am a man, but not a LEGO' and og if you mean 'I am a man and not a LEGO'. Though the most correct would be 'Jeg er en mand; ikke en LEGO' (I am a man; not a LEGO.) Though there is many Danes who don't know the art of the semi colon and therefore wouldn't make that sentence.
I don't think they send liquorice by mail.

This might ruin your theme, Wagon, but Merlin are a British company.

He can simply edit the 1st post to read:

"After the majority of Legoland was sold to British Merlin Group it has been heavily commersialised. They are shutting down rides which aren't too used and in general Britishising the park with shooting tents etc. The disability day has also been cancelled. You are long time park employees who are sad to see the special Danish Lego spirit be replaced with British commersialism; unfortunately for you Merlin Group has sent out agents to find out who to sack in order to turn an even higher profit. These agents are walking around like ordinary staff, but you try and find out who they are so that you can force to be such an embarrasment that Merlin Group is forced to sack the agents instead."

It's like the Opium Wars of the entertainment industry. Perhaps.

This might ruin your theme, Wagon, but Merlin are a British company.
Doesn't ruin the theme; I apparently misremembered them as American from news articles. Though wiki claims Merlin are owned by an American company.
American or English they still have a different mentality to the Danish corporate mentality which is seen in all Danish owned companies including world wide ones like Mærsk and ISS.
That mentality is hard to explain, but I guess it to some degree boils down to that while profit is important it is far from everything like it is in the Anglo world. It is a bit the same reason which makes us one of the happiest countries in the world. And we have been happy about our lives for centuries: In the late 1600s the English ambassador to Copenhagen is surprised to learn that the peasants are happy even though they live miserable lives; they are just happy about what they have.
Or a bit of the mentality can be seen in how in 1983 all Danish banks go together and form a company which will handle all electronic payments and make a debit card which is to be used by all banks and everywhere where credit cards are taken. As far as I have understood that is pretty unique that the banks instead of trying to turn as large a profit as possible went together and did what was best for the country.

Plus the things the theme is about---i.e. the commersialisation of Legoland---is something which has happened. Also while I don't like it has happened I fully understand while LEGO sold Legoland in 2005. Children weren't really buying LEGO and instead bought video games and there was a real possibility that LEGO would go bust, so they sold Legoland so that in the case LEGO went bust Legoland wouldn't fall too.

But now that I looked up Merlin on wiki I remembered that they also own aquariums and have places an aquarium in Legoland... An aquarium has no place there.
Also as an example of the mentality which used to be at Legoland, they used to have a room which you only could enter with a season pass. In that room the LEGO factories put on sale LEGO which was going out of production to really really low prices. It was driven directly from the LEGO factory which lies just next to the park and directly into that room. That was quite something to experience as a 10 year old and you could easily get multiple of those giant boxes which you otherwise normally could at most buy one of. I doubt that room still exists---the aquarium is lying where it used to be, but it could of course have been moved---but I doubt it.

I've seen trucks marked "Maersk" riddling the highway. Used to assume they were from Sealand. Now my misconceptions have been corrected.

He can simply edit the 1st post to read:

"After the majority of Legoland was sold to British Merlin Group it has been heavily commersialised. They are shutting down rides which aren't too used and in general Britishising the park with shooting tents etc. The disability day has also been cancelled. You are long time park employees who are sad to see the special Danish Lego spirit be replaced with British commersialism; unfortunately for you Merlin Group has sent out agents to find out who to sack in order to turn an even higher profit. These agents are walking around like ordinary staff, but you try and find out who they are so that you can force to be such an embarrasment that Merlin Group is forced to sack the agents instead."

It's like the Opium Wars of the entertainment industry. Perhaps.
I have only edited part of the OP, since while I misremembered Merlin as British and not American it still is Americanisation.

I've seen trucks marked "Maersk" riddling the highway. Used to assume they were from Sealand. Now my misconceptions have been corrected.
If you by Sealand means Sjælland then you are correct. Mærsk---or Maersk for you non Nordics---is headquartered in Copenhagen. And it is still rather patriotic even though old Mærsk Mckinney Møller died a few years ago. He used to give large billion DKK gifts to Denmark. Like the new opera house in Copenhagen*. Or the Danish school in Flensburg built for the Danish minority through funding given by Mærsk. He was one of the richest men in the world although Forbes never had him high on their list since they couldn't understand the ownership structures allowed in Denmark. They had him at around 1--2 billion $ whereas he just before the crisis actually was worth something like 146 billion DKK which would equal 25--30 billion $ depending on what the conversion rate was in 2008.
Heck even the inheritance tax which was paid by his heirs was so large---something like 500 million $---that a law was made so that the state and not the municipality grabbed it---though the government officially didn't make that particularly law with the intent to grab the Mærsk inheritance tax. And the municipality he lived in got a tax hole of something like 50 million $ a year due to his death.

*To be fair it is common opinion that he gave the state that multi billion DKK opera house so that the queen gave him the elephant. I.e. made him a member of the order of the elephant: The oldest and most prestigious order in Denmark and since it was founded in something like 1448 I believe it is one of the oldest in the world too. Very few civilians have received it since we became a democracy in 1849 and only 7 received it in the 20th century. Besides Mærsk, Niels Borh and two other Danes got it. Besides those four generals Eisenhower and Montgomery got it; and so did Churchill.
And if you get it you have to be called his/her excellency and is placed in the 1st class of the order of precedence---which is the highest class except if you belong to the royal family: I.e. you are for instance given very good seats during the royal dinners which you of course are invited to.

If you by Sealand means Sjælland then you are correct. Mærsk---or Maersk for you non Nordics---is headquartered in Copenhagen. And it is still rather patriotic even though old Mærsk Mckinney Møller died a few years ago. He used to give large billion DKK gifts to Denmark. Like the new opera house in Copenhagen*. Or the Danish school in Flensburg built for the Danish minority through funding given by Mærsk. He was one of the richest men in the world although Forbes never had him high on their list since they couldn't understand the ownership structures allowed in Denmark. They had him at around 1--2 billion $ whereas he just before the crisis actually was worth something like 146 billion DKK which would equal 25--30 billion $ depending on what the conversion rate was in 2008.
Heck even the inheritance tax which was paid by his heirs was so large---something like 500 million $---that a law was made so that the state and not the municipality grabbed it---though the government officially didn't make that particularly law with the intent to grab the Mærsk inheritance tax. And the municipality he lived in got a tax hole of something like 50 million $ a year due to his death.

*To be fair it is common opinion that he gave the state that multi billion DKK opera house so that the queen gave him the elephant. I.e. made him a member of the order of the elephant: The oldest and most prestigious order in Denmark and since it was founded in something like 1448 I believe it is one of the oldest in the world too. Very few civilians have received it since we became a democracy in 1849 and only 7 received it in the 20th century. Besides Mærsk, Niels Borh and two other Danes got it. Besides those four generals Eisenhower and Montgomery got it; and so did Churchill.
And if you get it you have to be called his/her excellency and is placed in the 1st class of the order of precedence---which is the highest class except if you belong to the royal family: I.e. you are for instance given very good seats during the royal dinners which you of course are invited to.

I think they are labelled "Maersk-Sealand":

800px-Maersk_sealand_container_on_truck.JPG

Now you can understand the source of my confusion.

I think they are labelled "Maersk-Sealand":

800px-Maersk_sealand_container_on_truck.JPG

Now you can understand the source of my confusion.
Ah. Those are old containers from ~2000--2005. These days Mærsk containers just say Maersk and are a darker grey and you practically never see the old Maersk Sealand containers anymore---I had completely forgotten about them.

The container shipping arm of Mærsk is called Mærsk Line these days, but before Mærsk bought P&O Nedlloyd in ~2005 it the container arm was called Maersk Sealand. That was because around 2000 Maersk had bought American shipping company Sealand; who according to wiki were the ones who shipped containers to Vietnam during the war there.

Ah. Those are old containers from ~2000--2005. These days Mærsk containers just say Maersk and are a darker grey and you practically never see the old Maersk Sealand containers anymore---I had completely forgotten about them.

The container shipping arm of Mærsk is called Mærsk Line these days, but before Mærsk bought P&O Nedlloyd in ~2005 it the container arm was called Maersk Sealand. That was because around 2000 Maersk had bought American shipping company Sealand; who according to wiki were the ones who shipped containers to Vietnam during the war there.

Are you ever invited to royal dinners?