• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Looking back...

What WERE the baddies doing? On day *1* and *2* we had what, one villager in the running and ALL the other contenders were baddies :eek:o_O:confused:

We were not that good as villagers, were we?

Looking back...

What WERE the baddies doing? On day *1* and *2* we had what, one villager in the running and ALL the other contenders were baddies :eek:o_O:confused:

We were not that good as villagers, were we?
There was a time the day when Xarkan was lynched when all four remaining wolves were TIEed and noone else had any votes...

As a pack, we had the time to translate our PMs into Swedish, to come up with bizarrely inventive North Vietnamese propaganda, and to predict that Wagon would be the first one hunted, but we didn't actually care enough to save ourselves from destruction. Det är livet, I suppose.
"Sån't är livet"

@Dedonus: Maybe you can shed some light on this? Have you been messing with the online settings?
I actually didn't realize that the "remain invisible" setting was default (that or I changed it a long time ago when I first created my account). So before you all mentioned it, I just assumed that the little green triangle was present on my posts, since it was there when I viewed my posts.

I did turn my online-status back on when I realized it was off. However, I did not do so in the intention of affecting this game. Rather, I did not want to forget about it later, because I feel that it would be more fair in future games for the online status to be present. While I did consider the possibility that it might look like it might look like "cheating" to get Sleepyhead's alibi to look correct, I thought that, since I would not be posting in the thread anymore, that it wouldn't matter. In hindsight, I probably should have waited until the game ended.

Again, I apologize if my actions might have negatively impacted the game. It was not my intention. In fact, since all the yellow wolves had been run up on the first two days, I thought that there was no way that Sleepyhead would NOT be lynched.

There was a time the day when Xarkan was lynched when all four remaining wolves were TIEed and noone else had any votes...
That would have been an anti-climax :D

Well, I had been right about 3 wolves basically in a row. It was inevitable I'd be wrong some time ;)

Yeah, but this wasn't the best place to be wrong given how damning the case against Sleepy was. I admit that misreading the Tramp trait description made it a bit more muddy than it needed to be but it would have been insane to vote me instead of Sleepyhead - especially when he started claiming tramp.

You were just tunnelling leaving out 1. alibi voting which I'd normally try to engage in as a baddie 2. the usefulness in having a wolf ally (or any kind of ally, which I was making mine and Ded's relationship out to be) and 3. other candidates as beartjah who had an even worse record.
I was not tunnelling, there was substantial evidence you were the last yellow wolf, and I was right. I didn't leave out alibi voting, I concluded that none of the votes on or by yellow wolves were likely alibi votes, and again, I was correct. Meanwhile the red pack really obviously sold out Hax and I picked up on that. Beartjah was the only other possible yellow wolf, but his record was not nearly as bad as yours. Sure "objectively" he had fewer votes on yellow wolves (zero to your one), but yours was a last minute snipe to save yourself, so worth nothing. Moreover, while Beartjah was generally out of consideration, you were repeatedly run up against yellow wolves. Somehow you tried to spin this as a point in your favor, when it was a major one against you, because it was all the more suspicious that you'd exchanged no votes with yellows when there was ample reason for them to do so if you were a villager up against them.

I don't know what you're on about with the usefulness in having a wolf ally. The village wins by lynching wolves, ignoring an obvious wolf because he might help against the other pack is just silly.

Yeah, but this wasn't the best place to be wrong given how damning the case against Sleepy was. I admit that misreading the Tramp trait description made it a bit more muddy than it needed to be but it would have been insane to vote me instead of Sleepyhead - especially when he started claiming tramp.
What you may not be aware of is that he had previously claimed that in PM. So it looked, to me, like he was actively claiming it far before it could really help him (as I was not on the edge of 'this might be endgame day' yet).

Now in hindsight, as said, he was busy trying to play me and brovah, so you were right and I was wrong.

I actually didn't realize that the "remain invisible" setting was default (that or I changed it a long time ago when I first created my account). So before you all mentioned it, I just assumed that the little green triangle was present on my posts, since it was there when I viewed my posts.

I did turn my online-status back on when I realized it was off. However, I did not do so in the intention of affecting this game. Rather, I did not want to forget about it later, because I feel that it would be more fair in future games for the online status to be present. While I did consider the possibility that it might look like it might look like "cheating" to get Sleepyhead's alibi to look correct, I thought that, since I would not be posting in the thread anymore, that it wouldn't matter. In hindsight, I probably should have waited until the game ended.

Again, I apologize if my actions might have negatively impacted the game. It was not my intention. In fact, since all the yellow wolves had been run up on the first two days, I thought that there was no way that Sleepyhead would NOT be lynched.

You should have waited until after the game with the settings but it's okay, don't worry.

You see Sleepy, I didn't make stuff up.

I don't think it really did (at least, I hope that those that voted Sleepy today did not do so merely on the basis of that), and it would have been trickier than what you mention, because you could be doing that to frame Sleepyhead too. Still probably best avoided.

And yes, I too was surprised that a lot of people were unwilling to lynch Sleepyhead, but then again there were so many likely baddies that there was serious competition. In hindsight, not lynching Sleepy turned out to be good for the village (Hax would have been harder to lynch for example).

Also, while I never did redirect the hunts, if the wolves had hunted who I thought they might, the game would've swung a lot more in favor of the village-
Night 4
Protect: Avernite

Redirect to: Hax, back-up Xarkan, back-up back-up Alynkio
Night 5
Protect: Brovahkiin

Redirect to: Sleepyhead, back-up Alynkio, back-up back-up Beartjah
Night 6 (when I was hunted)
Protect Avernite

Redirect to: Sleepyhead

I didn't send any orders prior to Dedonus' lynch since there was no info to go off of, so it would've been a switch from one random player to another from my view.

What you may not be aware of is that he had previously claimed that in PM. So it looked, to me, like he was actively claiming it far before it could really help him (as I was not on the edge of 'this might be endgame day' yet).

Now in hindsight, as said, he was busy trying to play me and brovah, so you were right and I was wrong.

It still had the problem that his supposed tramp usage was far from ideal from a goodie perspective. Oh, and Claude already was a tramp, but I seem to have forgotten to include that in my argument.

I was really close to killing two wolves in one day with my failed snipe. :(

As a pack, we had the time to translate our PMs into Swedish, to come up with bizarrely inventive North Vietnamese propaganda, and to predict that Wagon would be the first one hunted, but we didn't actually care enough to save ourselves from destruction. Det är livet, I suppose.

I can confirm all of this. In fairness, I don't really see how I was supposed to beat the outing.

Hax had asked me Arky and Caillean to pressure him, on the theory that the village would balk at 1 clear candidate and the momentum could flip to someone else. Then Hax could turn on his natural Hax charisma and save himself narrowly. When this didn't happen, Arky and I sorta contemplated switching ourselves, but I concluded this was likely too suspicious-looking, though we figured we could probably have killed Beartjah.

We were slow to trust Caillean, but her Scans were Hax (Wolf) and Arky (Cursed) When her Arky info proved correct.. we figured she had to be the real deal.

I thought the Reds were just a day from a landslide victory

I thought this as well. I think Arky Hax and Caillean might have as well. Ah the vicissitudes of fate. Just my luck that I'd be the only baddie caught by an outing too :oops:.

This was a fun game, Johho! Thanks for hosting! :D

Last edited:
I've never seen a luckier village win in my life... How the hell do we manage to run up ALL wolves on day 3? o_O

GG and thanks for hosting, Johho.

The funny thing is that us reds were pretty sure of Sleepy being a yellow many days ago. Not sure why he wasn't hunted.

GM AAR part 1 - The GM's game plan

I have been looking at old werewolf games and different rule variants used (BTW did you know we used 85 different versions of cultist in the first 207 games :eek:). Here and there I found roles/traits or versions of normal roles/versions that for one reason or another have fallen out of use but I felt, "couldn't we make that work"? So this game was mostly set up with the intention of reviving/testing old rules.

The exception to that is the Alchemist role that came up when I was driving home for Christmas with a friend of mine and we started to try to come up with new werewolf traits/roles. The basic idea with it was to replace a lot of sinle use scanners with a more mixed scanner.

There are some roles traits that looked to be prone to abuse. Changeling can be really powerful if controlled by a JL, it can both protect the JL and kill off unknows. Similarly the Alchemist role would make trait claims by baddies to a JL spokesperson risky. The Lie-detector could be used by a JL to bully players into saying things that can be checked and thus gain an extra scanner.

So to counter that I wanted a game with a weak or non existant JL. That's why I had only one protector and no seer/priest, only alchemists and one clairvoyant. Together they have 7 scans that could detect wolves (more or less) which I thought would be on par with what a seer could manage. Obviously four players are more difficult for the baddies to kill of but on the other hand it should be harder coordinate.

From a role playing perspective I think a human attacked by a werewolf and deciding to join the dark side would be more reasonable to become a cultist so I wanted to try this (from a game playing perspective I think the normal cursed-turn-to-wolf is better). I decided to have the cursed-turn-cultist bonded/die-with-master and the normal cultist more normal.

We have used a Warlock type of extra baddie scanner, usually focusing on finding cursed/blessed/OEO which should influence the wolf hunt targets. IIRC it never really made a difference but I couldn't remember why so thought it'd be fun to give it another go.

I thought the attacked->join pack would make sense for a Sorcerer so made him cursed. He was supposed to have the Lie-detector trait which I thought could be non-gamebreaking for a baddie but since people didn't like the trait and thought it would defer people from talking in the thread I removed it from the rules.

Because of the small signup number I decided to not have any Cultist, only Wolves. Because of that I gave the Sorcerer a Alchemist trait so he should have some way to find the baddies (bar outings). Added Wolf as something a Warlock could detect for the same reason.

The Con-man I added as a conditional TIE breaker, similar to Plotter.

The rechargable Witness version I felt could make for interesting strategy choice for a Witness, use often for small chance or wait for big chance. This game was too small for it to be intersting. Personally I prefer Padre to Witness.

Psychic I felt could be a cheap trait with limited power, maybe more something for 1pp in a pickpoint game? Mostly added it here so I wouldn't forget it for the future.

I often dislike combined roles like van Helsing, High Sorcerer etc. and prefer to break them up in their smallest bits, that way you can make new interesting combinations without having to make up new names for roles. Clairvoyant is the deep scan part of the van Helsing I found in some old games.

Leader & King traits were only in because of the RPing setting.

Tramp I just missed from way back when.

Zombie/Zombie hunter was an idea from the "GM zombie" game that I felt I could use as a way to let the players fix the boring autolynch/sub hunting you sometimes have to do as a GM. I miiight have overdone the number of zombie hunter a liiiiiitle...

Siamese Twins was a last minute idea when I had too few players and two subs I couldn't use because of the no-sub/zombie idea. I thought two players that wanted to sub in might be able to, together, be about as active as one player.

My expectations for the game was:
- most Zombie hunters would spend their bullet on the first available Zombie, few would have a bullet left for the end game
- Alchemists would hold off with their WW check until they had a suspect but would use their villager check early. The would check for cursed/apprentices when they had nothing better to do.
- The Warlock would probably find a wolf after a few days but unlikely to hit any Cursed/Blessed/Hunter because they were so rare
- The Changeling would be more used when there were clear suspects and 'lear goodies than early on
- The Siamese Twins would confuse you if they both voted and overruled eachother (I was looking forward to this).

Last edited: