• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
And I'm Javert

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/werewolf-ccx-trouble-in-valhalla.967504/ That game is still a favourite of mine, although it has a rather unique set up and not all the traits will be applicable to a more standard game.
Thanks, we’ll take a look.
Leader and Guilds are missing too. I know a lot of people have issues with guilds, but the fact that guilds would be optional to join I think get rid of those problems.
We’ll think about guilds, but leaders are not going to be making an appearance this game.

I've never played a pickpoint game before.

IN

as an interfering player.

Feel free to suggest some.
van Helsing (superscan + hunter)
Spy (gets leads on one player role/trait each might)
Alderman (vote counts as two once activated)
Infiltrating powers (single use scan for non-hidden trait) - I like the single use better than the full fledged version
Robber (steals traits and demotes role)
Plotter (PM voter)
Hunter (assassin or OEO) - not something you would normally have in the same game as assassin/OEO but can work in a pickpoint game
Single use Doc/GA powers - actually better for game activity than getting too many single use scanners because they don't cause information overflow
Clairvoyant (single superscan)
Scout (receives a list of all targets for previous night's actions but not which actions nor by whom)
Changeling (redirect any nightly action from one player to another)
Con-man (one time use to change one player's vote)
Politician (may reduce the number of votes on himself by one)
Pedagogue (one time use, may give any other player a single trait of his choice) - sound too good for a baddie pack
Warlock (baddie role that scans for protectors and blessed/cursed)
Truesight (one time use, can see the number of good and bad players)
Jester (distorts the nightly action of one player)

Last edited:
You may want to look into how baddies pick, i.e. as a pack or individually. If the latter, have some checks not to make a one wolf pack with loads of cultists.

In.

No protectors, limited numbers of traits and roles. Good.
Please make sure roughly 50% of the goodies is untraited villagers and this should be an excellent game :)

Ah, pickpoint. Fantastic!

Missed that. Right.
I stand by my assertion that most folks should be traitless villagers though.

You might want to have more traits. As Johho said then in pickpoint games more is more.

I'd rather do without protectors though, and scanning powers would be nice to limit somewhat.

Leader and Guilds are missing too. I know a lot of people have issues with guilds, but the fact that guilds would be optional to join I think get rid of those problems.

Doesn't entirely solve the all the problems but it helps. It depends on how much power you give those guilds. Unless all members of a guild are part of the same pack or at least evil odds are the powers in there will be used for the village, so they can swing the power balance a lot.

doctor/GA powers

Rather not. If there is a single protector power people can choose you risk unassailable justice leagues.

Single use Doc/GA powers - actually better for game activity than getting too many single use scanners because they don't cause information overflow

That might be acceptable.

Truesight (one time use, can see the number of good and bad players)

Interesting one.

@randakar: IIRC people tend to go for information gathering or killing traits rather than protectors in pickpoint games but obviously the price is the key if you want to limit a certain type of roles. Having half the field as traitless villagers is hard to do in a pickpoint game so that's why you need loads of almost useless traits so everyone get a sense that they have a pool of traits to pick from.

EDIT: maybe pedagogue and robber could be combined into some sort of Robin Hood type of role?

I’m currently away from my PC and will continue to be for a while, so apologies for not answering questions/comments. I’ll discuss whether or not to add traits with k-59 soon.

The only traits I’m willing to say that will probably not be included in this game are traits that effect votes, especially leaders. While there are some interesting options with them, I think they tend to distort voting patterns and behaviors, and by extension voter analysis. Especially late game, they can prevent fun mechanics like snipers.

You may want to look into how baddies pick, i.e. as a pack or individually. If the latter, have some checks not to make a one wolf pack with loads of cultists.
They will pick as a pack.

The only traits I’m willing to say that will probably not be included in this game are traits that effect votes, especially leaders. While there are some interesting options with them, I think they tend to distort voting patterns and behaviors, and by extension voter analysis. Especially late game, they can prevent fun mechanics like snipers.
I take it alderman isn't going in then.:p

If the latter, have some checks not to make a one wolf pack with loads of cultists.

They will pick as a pack.
That's bad. Part of the charm of pickpoints is teh unpredictability. Plus the goodies don't pick as a unit.
How it normally is done is that baddies don't know their mates when they pick. So they need to pick on the exact same terms as goodies. I.e. they need to try and pick for the entire good of their side. Just like some goodies ought to take potentially less desirable things then so should the baddies.
Only stopgap which has been there in the past is that if all baddies in a pack pick cultist, which is free normally, wolf costing a couple points, then a random one of them gets wolf for free.
That works the best imho as it means the baddies can be fragile too if they all are egotistical and just pick cultist to be able to work with all sides instead of going for wolf. Just like how goodies need to think of the common good and pick say seer or priest over something fun like van Helsing in case they have a lot of points.

If the pack can pick as a unit everything can be coordinated and they'll have the most efficient trait/role set possible. The goodies on the other hand will have some random heap like always meaning that the baddies will be certain not to lack anything essential and to not end up really fragile due to only a couple wolves in the game, whereas the goodies very well can end up without e.g. a seer.

I'll be Aaron Burr, Sir

And I'll be getting that Assassin Trait if I have enough pick points, thank you very much. ;)

That's bad. Part of the charm of pickpoints is teh unpredictability. Plus the goodies don't pick as a unit.
How it normally is done is that baddies don't know their mates when they pick. So they need to pick on the exact same terms as goodies. I.e. they need to try and pick for the entire good of their side. Just like some goodies ought to take potentially less desirable things then so should the baddies.
Only stopgap which has been there in the past is that if all baddies in a pack pick cultist, which is free normally, wolf costing a couple points, then a random one of them gets wolf for free.

I think it should be the other way around - being a cultist costs points, being a wolf doesn't. After all, as a cultist you have more win options (with any pack) and you are marginally less interesting to kill for the village because killing cultist doesn't win the game for them - killing wolves does.

That works the best imho as it means the baddies can be fragile too if they all are egotistical and just pick cultist to be able to work with all sides instead of going for wolf. Just like how goodies need to think of the common good and pick say seer or priest over something fun like van Helsing in case they have a lot of points.

Or just make a cultist cost points instead and the problem becomes a lot less. Especially if some wolves do not have the points to buy that.

If the pack can pick as a unit everything can be coordinated and they'll have the most efficient trait/role set possible. The goodies on the other hand will have some random heap like always meaning that the baddies will be certain not to lack anything essential and to not end up really fragile due to only a couple wolves in the game, whereas the goodies very well can end up without e.g. a seer.

Yeah, that's kinda bad.