• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The wolves knew the names of the council members from the beginning. What was the matter with killing them? They were not cleared. Killing all the members of a council except their packmates could point with no doubt who was a wolf in the council and an easy lynch

You don't kill all the members of a council; you kill one or two of them at the start to induce paranoia, then you start targeting other players as more information is known. Paranoia then ensues and does most of the rest of the work for you.

You don't kill all the members of a council; you kill one or two of them at the start to induce paranoia, then you start targeting other players as more information is known. Paranoia then ensues and does most of the rest of the work for you.

I don't think that would have accomplished much. Just a couple of members changed for others. After all, half the players were part of some council. Priority IMO were the cleared villagers.

Some comments here are focusing in the fact that the councils didn't scan baddies directly but having players you know aren't baddies is equally important.

Last edited:
I don't think that would have accomplished much. Just a couple of members changed for others. After all, half the players were part of some council.

Right, but it accomplishes a few things:

1) You are far more likely to hit a goodie with a hunt, which you ideally want to do in the first couple turns rather than taking shots at other packamates.
2) You scare the crap out of villagers, who eventually figure out that there is at least one baddie on each council. You also very conceivably draw more useless scans once the councils join forces.
3) You greatly the possibility of more baddies joining the council. You also introduce the specter of cursed members to the council. One no hunt night and instant paranoia, even if they are scanned.

For the record we in the seers never spotted a bad guy. We did scan a few guys that did become wolves, but at the time they remained zealots/whatever.

This game I:

1. Painted a brutalize / assassinate me target on my back by claiming OEO.
2. Failed to rally the village to kill Matthew the wolf instead of Panzer the villager day 1.
3. Was wrong about Lief day 2, then I helped Culann (temporarily) escape Justice.
4. Was wrong about Yvanoff day 3.
5. Was wrong about Marco day 4.
6. Failed to use mah hunter shot.

In consolation, I at least got to be a part of 2 glorious double Baddie TIEs. Praise Lemeard!
Avernite lynch was silly. As many said, TFW should have died for anti-TIE shenanigans earlier, and @Culann should have definitely have sold him out. Also, did you really think claiming Witness to me was a rookie mistake, or was that a clever attempt at misdirection?

Thanks for hosting, Alxeu! Cursed as guild analysis is, I do kind of like the asymmetrical (yet equally strong) packs and the extra paranoia from the Zealots. Was probably a village-tilted set up (but only slightly. The packs viciously hunting each other was really just bad luck)

1) You are far more likely to hit a goodie with a hunt, which you ideally want to do in the first couple turns rather than taking shots at other packamates.
2) You scare the crap out of villagers, who eventually figure out that there is at least one baddie on each council. You also very conceivably draw more useless scans once the councils join forces.
3) You greatly the possibility of more baddies joining the council. You also introduce the specter of cursed members to the council. One no hunt night and instant paranoia, even if they are scanned.

And meanwhile you have lots of players cleared by the council scans.

And meanwhile you have lots of players cleared by the council scans.
The councils only cleared three players prior to the last day (I don't know if anyone was cleared the night I was hunted, I didn't get any PMs the last day). Lief was the first, then myself, finally Graymarch.

The councils only cleared three players prior to the last day (I don't know if anyone was cleared the night I was hunted, I didn't get any PMs the last day). Lief was the first, then myself, finally Graymarch.
You got seer scanned before priest, meaning you were never cleared. I told liefwarrior as much but he apparently didn't listen. You even got priest scanned after Witch Agatha died and could therefore have been a zealot turned wolf when we got the villager result. Same for alynkio before he died and Yakman in the end.
We cleared dbw though.

the early hunting of wolves heavily slanted the game in favour of the village to a point that I'm not sure we can really say much about the balance of the setup at all, beyond that it can't recover from this level of bad luck on the wolf side if the village plays somewhat competently.

I'm still kinda surprised the council members didn't just all out themselves on day 0. There's no real point for the wolves to go hunting the council members since those would just get replaced anyway, and it would allow the seer/priest/GA to get perfect coordination and get a player fully cleared right at the start of the game to kickstart the JL.

You'd also put your packmate in the spotlight while doing this, and without any information about the rules of who is going to join the council as replacements that can't really be part of any good strategy. If you're going to draw attention to your packmate by using the insider information from the council you're probably better off killing the partially cleared players to at least eliminate some of those scans from the game.

Having multiple fully cleared players(ond probs even more partially cleared) is a major problem for wolves. It just reduces the number of people that could conceivably be a baddie, and also creates players that everyone trusts on their word to be acting in good faith which allows the village to coordinate far more then the baddies can afford. I suspect that the baddies were basically doom

In my opinion, the baddies did have a recourse for the immortal committees: they had people on them.

Knowing who is seer/priest-cleared could've informed the baddies' hunts. The baddies on the committees were initially invisible to scans, except by the lone seer/priestly scans scattered about. They could've gotten away with hunting committee scans without an excessive amount of attention point their way. At that point, a village focus on the committees could backfire and allow them to be further infiltrated by the baddies: the seer council was at one point 50% evil.
We didn't know the rules of how new members would get selected, so it would seem a bit strange to build a strategy off trying to get more packmates into the councils. Triggering this kind of focus on the comittees would also result in people quickly realizing that your packmate was one of the starting members, which lends itself to classic guild analysis resulting in a dead packmate.

I'm still kinda surprised the council members didn't just all out themselves on day 0. There's no real point for the wolves to go hunting the council members since those would just get replaced anyway, and it would allow the seer/priest/GA to get perfect coordination and get a player fully cleared right at the start of the game to kickstart the JL.
The GA council had good reason for never going public. We couldn't protect ourselves from hunts, we started with only three members, with a minimum of three too. We very rapidly dwindled and once we dropped below twenty players over all our minimum was one, which would've dissolved the council if reduced to that. We also figured, correctly, that we started all goodies since a baddie in the GA council would render it completely useless, but had no way to even suspect that with any replacements, since we had no idea how they were chosen.

I should probably confess that I gave alxeu the idea of scanners-by-committee. It's been kicking around in my head for probably as long as we've had guilds (five years, I believe) and I'm glad to see it finally exit. So, blame me for the game's imperfections, I guess - and blame alxeu for forgetting to include all his other bad ideas!

the early hunting of wolves heavily slanted the game in favour of the village to a point that I'm not sure we can really say much about the balance of the setup at all, beyond that it can't recover from this level of bad luck on the wolf side if the village plays somewhat competently.

It's true that it was at the beginning, but by the end of the game just 3 baddies were hunted by other baddies. Nothing too unusual.

Damn, there really were absolutely no unaligned baddies this game, huh. Thought this was actually a really bad setup for the village, but it was actually way harder for the baddies than I thought.

@TheFatWombat I see what you did there. ;)

If you had hit DBW instead we indeed would have had a real problem.

@R.Graymarch did you ever tell the JL about your hunter trait? I never heard anything about it.

GG all, and big thanks to @alxeu for hosting such a fun, unorthodox setup! As I said in our council PM:

Will be back later for a proper breakdown of this game.
That was @Cullan 's idea actually.

Also forgot to say: kudos to @TheFatWombat for getting away with a wannabe votesnipe-tiebreak for that long.

I mean, I also think the remaining villagers should be ashamed, but... he still pulled it off.
Yeah, I was actually pretty proud of that, but it really was just delying the inevitable.

I was pretty surprised that Audren and Sleepy weren't hunted as soon as they revealed their positions on the scanner councils publicly.

What was up with the hunts, anyway? Hunting Dedonus and Wagon seemed like suboptimal decisions.
I had never been a wolf, Culann and WA were IIRC just generally new players and DeChat was barely around. So there was not a whole lot of thought put into the hunts, I think like 2 of them were literally just autohunts from Arkasas's day 0 backup order. The reason Sleepy wasn't hunted was because the committee had a pact to not vote / protect each other which I hoped would protect me and muddy up the vote analysis in case I ever got lynched.

The fact that I got clued in on everyone who was doublescanned actually screwed me kinda hard, because I couldn't redirect attention on any doublescanned players without lief or Sleepy immediately finding out I am a wolf.

First I'd like to thank Alxeu for hosting.

Second I'd like to apologize and thank my packmates and Alxeu for putting up with my spamming the pack pm. I'm an animated guy, though I try to make it at least somewhat humorous. I am shocked they didn't tell me to shut up, I work better when I have sounding boards. I'm surprised I survived this long at all. Improvement!

Third I hope I didn't commit a social faux pas by being a bit defensive when defending my voting record. I just decided to use the truth about being a night owl and the deadline to defend my voting record. I wasn't trying to give the impression that I was quitting or not trying, I apologize if it seemed that way. I figured it was the easiest way to try and avoid being lynched, and plying on people's perceptions and emotions seems to be a natural point of the game.

Brace yourselves incoming wall of text.

From my perspective:

I felt like I was playing catch up mostly with what people latch on to. Specifically referring to videofanning and I'm also not too familiar with some terms mostly due to the fact I'm not familiar with internet culture in general aside from gaming communities. Had I known that was a thing I wouldn't have said it, though it was mostly just an observation. Adding to that I'm also catching up with rules and set ups. I didn't understand at the time the councils replaces those functions from players, I thought it was in addition to a priest or a seer, clearly a jarhead moment.

We hunted on day 0 using Arkasas standing order, after that I think we chose our targets. Day 2 Euro was hunted because TFW thought that it may throw some shade at LatinKaiser in I didn't pushback despite my misgivings on it. In hindsight I wish I did pushback a little, the chaos he creates would have been beneficial. Day 4 hunt of Dedonus was my idea but I tried to switch it off later in the day, Agatha didn't come back in time to see it. I didn't think I could change being a zealot and not a wolf. Day 6 hunt of Audren was my idea as well, after a player count I knew he wouldn't have been replaced since Agatha was likely going to be lynched taking Alynkio along, that was Agatha's idea. I felt like I could take advantage of Marco's zombieness and or some miscommunication to slow down seer scans as I now was 50% of the voting bloc. Day 7 hunt was again my idea, LatinKaiser who was blessed we had avoided hunting the priest council at TFW's behest since they had a pact to not lynch each other. I was really pushing trying to hunt some of them earlier, more so after DBW gave us a roadmap on the better hunting targets. I also wanted TFW to have a larger share of the voting bloc, I thought it would be useful. Shortly before I was lynched I was trying to understand the set up of the game and being ignorant of how that works I tried to game out a few scenarios. I strongly suspected if there was a sorcerer it was probably DBW since he was being awfully helpful providing hunting targets. However I thought he would have found a pack or both packs by then and I was wondering if there was a sorcerer at all. If it was just a cursed left than it was random chance which ended being 0 chance by avoiding DBW's tier 4 suspects.

Now for the elephant in the room so to speak.

This game I:
Avernite lynch was silly. As many said, TFW should have died for anti-TIE shenanigans earlier, and @Culann should have definitely have sold him out. Also, did you really think claiming Witness to me was a rookie mistake, or was that a clever attempt at misdirection?

Thanks for hosting, Alxeu! Cursed as guild analysis is, I do kind of like the asymmetrical (yet equally strong) packs and the extra paranoia from the Zealots. Was probably a village-tilted set up (but only slightly. The packs viciously hunting each other was really just bad luck)

To answer Alynkio's question first it was a desperate attempt at misdirection if anything :D . I'm a former Marine and I live by the code of improvise, overcome and adapt that kind of thinking pretty much guided my decisions. Facing being lynched I thought I'd try to reach out to someone and claim witness, turns out I didn't need to Alynkio did it for me. I was trying to take advantage of my ignorant mistake of videofanning and swing this to our advantage. I figured at some point if I survived long enough that I could use it to ferret out the other pack and gain some trust. I did this without really consulting my pack, at the time 2 had a busy schedules and time difference between TFW and I made it difficult to have a conversation in a short time. So I did what any jarhead does take some initiative and hoped it worked out. De Chat did chide me for the claim but I felt the opportunity to use it to my advantage was worth it. After being placed on the seer council the next day I really thought I could make it work. I figured I had to use it by day 7 and I was right both LatinKaiser and Liefwarrior pm'd me asking about it. However we hunted 2 members of the yellow pack, village lynched 2 members of the yellow pack and on day 6 the final member of the yellow pack didn't vote. To sum this game up for me: I would have gotten it away with it too if it wasn't for the Dane.... WHY! WHY! WHY! WHY! Didn't you vote to save yourself Wagon:p

As for why I didn't sell out TFW, thought game etiquette included not selling out your packmates. I was wrong apparently it's encouraged when there is no other alternative. I'll remember that for next time. If I had known it, I would have sold him out and tried to keep it going. I come from a family of 6 kids and I have 4 brothers, which means I really hate losing. As for my second big it didn't go as bad as I thought it would.

Two bigs and both times a baddie. Which I believe is the harder role to play, glad I'm taking the less traveled road by chance then.

I had a BLAST!

Edit: For grammar mostly.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
First of all, THANKS @alxeu fot he wonderful game!

I had a blast, I tried to keep up with everything going on with the game. My work, at this moment (thanks to the Pandemic), makes it very hard for me to be fully involved and making all the analysis I would try and do. Most of it I do it just in my mind but don't really say it outloud, because I don't hve the time to write it.

This was my second game of WW, and I'm really liking it, although I'm still trying to wrap my mind around how everything works. But I feel like if I continue to play I can learn a lot more. I've been a wolf in the two games I've played, so I don't know how different I would be, if I were a villager, OR something else, I guess I'll find out sooner or later.

Thank you everyone, for making this something exciting! I even set an alarm before the deadline to try and keep up with everything going on!

So, I'll be back for another game! Hopefully soon.

• 2Like
Reactions:
First I'd like to thank Alxeu for hosting.

Second I'd like to apologize and thank my packmates and Alxeu for putting up with my spamming the pack pm. I'm an animated guy, though I try to make it at least somewhat humorous. I am shocked they didn't tell me to shut up, I work better when I have sounding boards. I'm surprised I survived this long at all. Improvement!

Third I hope I didn't commit a social faux pas by being a bit defensive when defending my voting record. I just decided to use the truth about being a night owl and the deadline to defend my voting record. I wasn't trying to give the impression that I was quitting or not trying, I apologize if it seemed that way. I figured it was the easiest way to try and avoid being lynched, and plying on people's perceptions and emotions seems to be a natural point of the game.

Brace yourselves incoming wall of text.

From my perspective:

I felt like I was playing catch up mostly with what people latch on to. Specifically referring to videofanning and I'm also not too familiar with some terms mostly due to the fact I'm not familiar with internet culture in general aside from gaming communities. Had I known that was a thing I wouldn't have said it, though it was mostly just an observation. Adding to that I'm also catching up with rules and set ups. I didn't understand at the time the councils replaces those functions from players, I thought it was in addition to a priest or a seer, clearly a jarhead moment.

We hunted on day 0 using Arkasas standing order, after that I think we chose our targets. Day 2 Euro was hunted because TFW thought that it may throw some shade at LatinKaiser in I didn't pushback despite my misgivings on it. In hindsight I wish I did pushback a little, the chaos he creates would have been beneficial. Day 4 hunt of Dedonus was my idea but I tried to switch it off later in the day, Agatha didn't come back in time to see it. I didn't think I could change being a zealot and not a wolf. Day 6 hunt of Audren was my idea as well, after a player count I knew he wouldn't have been replaced since Agatha was likely going to be lynched taking Alynkio along, that was Agatha's idea. I felt like I could take advantage of Marco's zombieness and or some miscommunication to slow down seer scans as I now was 50% of the voting bloc. Day 7 hunt was again my idea, LatinKaiser who was blessed we had avoided hunting the priest council at TFW's behest since they had a pact to not lynch each other. I was really pushing trying to hunt some of them earlier, more so after DBW gave us a roadmap on the better hunting targets. I also wanted TFW to have a larger share of the voting bloc, I thought it would be useful. Shortly before I was lynched I was trying to understand the set up of the game and being ignorant of how that works I tried to game out a few scenarios. I strongly suspected if there was a sorcerer it was probably DBW since he was being awfully helpful providing hunting targets. However I thought he would have found a pack or both packs by then and I was wondering if there was a sorcerer at all. If it was just a cursed left than it was random chance which ended being 0 chance by avoiding DBW's tier 4 suspects.

Now for the elephant in the room so to speak.

To answer Alynkio's question first it was a desperate attempt at misdirection if anything :D . I'm a former Marine and I live by the code of improvise, overcome and adapt that kind of thinking pretty much guided my decisions. Facing being lynched I thought I'd try to reach out to someone and claim witness, turns out I didn't need to Alynkio did it for me. I was trying to take advantage of my ignorant mistake of videofanning and swing this to our advantage. I figured at some point if I survived long enough that I could use it to ferret out the other pack and gain some trust. I did this without really consulting my pack, at the time 2 had a busy schedules and time difference between TFW and I made it difficult to have a conversation in a short time. So I did what any jarhead does take some initiative and hoped it worked out. De Chat did chide me for the claim but I felt the opportunity to use it to my advantage was worth it. After being placed on the seer council the next day I really thought I could make it work. I figured I had to use it by day 7 and I was right both LatinKaiser and Liefwarrior pm'd me asking about it. However we hunted 2 members of the yellow pack, village lynched 2 members of the yellow pack and on day 6 the final member of the yellow pack didn't vote. To sum this game up for me: I would have gotten it away with it too if it wasn't for the Dane.... WHY! WHY! WHY! WHY! Didn't you vote to save yourself Wagon:p

As for why I didn't sell out TFW, thought game etiquette included not selling out your packmates. I was wrong apparently it's encouraged when there is no other alternative. I'll remember that for next time. If I had known it, I would have sold him out and tried to keep it going. I come from a family of 6 kids and I have 4 brothers, which means I really hate losing. As for my second big it didn't go as bad as I thought it would.

Two bigs and both times a baddie. Which I believe is the harder role to play, glad I'm taking the less traveled road by chance then.

I had a BLAST!

Edit: For grammar mostly.

Your attitude in the pms was wonderful, it's great to see a lively and active player. No doubt that's something we need in this game.

Reactions:
I think you have to post a certain number of times in the other forum sections (i.e. not here). Pretty sure it's an anti-spam measure Paradox put into place or something like that.