We're thrilled to announce Cities: Skylines - Parklife!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Care to share how?
It's quite simple really... go to your Paradox account profile (click your name at top right of this page ^)
...just below your avatar, you will see Custom Title, which you can change to anything you wish. Take note of the advice below it too:
"If specified, this will replace the title that displays under your name in your posts."

Can i have question?
Screenshots from Paradox plaza looks to be made on moded version of the game, so can we have some clarification? I would like to know what is part of expansion and what is not.

I must apologise for the confusion, it seems a modded version of the game was indeed used when making the marketing materials. I requested a list of mods used but haven't received it yet. There's a new marketing person at Paradox so let's forgive them for this and hope they take the advice to use unmodded game to avoid misunderstandings.

Rest assured, the dev diaries that we at Colossal write always have actual content from the game so you can be sure that what you see on those screenshots is what you get.

In the Steam store page, it mentioned that "new unique buildings like amusement parks, nature reserves, city parks and zoos", while in this post, it is "fresh attractions like amusement parks, nature reserves, city parks and zoos".

A little bit confused. Hope it's not unique buildings.

Same excuse than in the previous answer... Amusement parks, nature reserves, city parks and zoos are not Unique buildings. They are areas that you can paint and then place parks buildings in. The feature will be explained in a dev diary later on, but for example a zoo is not just one building that you place, it's something you can design and build yourself.

It's really a shame you're promoting the existence of zoos, though...

You make a valid point, there are zoos in the world that should not exist. However the zoos in Cities: Skylines are for the benefit of the animals and the people. They are to research and conserve endangered species and educate and enlighten the citizens. No animals were harmed in the making of Cities: Skylines!

I must apologise for the confusion, it seems a modded version of the game was indeed used when making the marketing materials. I requested a list of mods used but haven't received it yet. There's a new marketing person at Paradox so let's forgive them for this and hope they take the advice to use unmodded game to avoid misunderstandings.

Rest assured, the dev diaries that we at Colossal write always have actual content from the game so you can be sure that what you see on those screenshots is what you get.

Same excuse than in the previous answer... Amusement parks, nature reserves, city parks and zoos are not Unique buildings. They are areas that you can paint and then place parks buildings in. The feature will be explained in a dev diary later on, but for example a zoo is not just one building that you place, it's something you can design and build yourself.

You make a valid point, there are zoos in the world that should not exist. However the zoos in Cities: Skylines are for the benefit of the animals and the people. They are to research and conserve endangered species and educate and enlighten the citizens. No animals were harmed in the making of Cities: Skylines!

Sounds like the new marketing person has some kinks to work out in his/her job. :D Congratulations to him/her on the new job!

This is really a DLC I'm most excited about. It will really enhance a sense of the city life you get in playing the game. What's a city without creativity (arts and entertainment), environment (zoos and nature reserve), and recreation (parks, amusement parks, sports facilities, etc.)? Without them, it would be an extremely dull place. Plus, more open/green spaces is a perk to have in any city. :)

Sounds interesting, but I'm curious. Are there any functional differences between the zoos, amusement parks, and nature reserves? Are there different types of citizens or tourists that prefer one over the other? Would there be a benefit to having a mix of all three? Other than how they're built, do they function differently from the regular parks?

Ok. Give me his/her/it's name and adress and I will forgive him/her/it hard. :D :D :D
Just kidding. We all welcome him/her/it and would like to wish great success and career. Keep playin' brotha!

View attachment 359177
We're pleased to announce that Cities: Skylines will be getting a playful new expansion, Parklife. Parklife is a lively new add-on for the PC version of Paradox Interactive and Colossal Order’s hit city-builder. The expansion will make your city more vibrant than ever with new amusement parks and zoos; nature reserves and city parks, giving new life to your empty land with custom green spaces.
Parklife adds new ways to play with everything from roller coasters and campsites to flower beds, fountains and flamingos. There’s also a new park area tool, five new maps, a ton of new assets and level-up features that increase your park’s property values in play.

More leisurely features:
• Parks and Recreation: Use the new park area tool to create park districts wherever there is empty land, and new city services like Park Maintenance, which boosts happiness and effectiveness, and helps level up parks.

• Brick by Brick: Customize your city with new buildings and assets, including a new sightseeing bus line, new service buildings, fresh attractions like amusement parks, nature reserves, city parks and zoos. There’s also a regal new monument, the Castle of Lord Chirpwick.

• Freeway Free for All: For the first time in Cities: Skylines, you can place buildings next to paths in the park districts (not just next to roads). Props can be placed anywhere inside park areas.

• Recesses Between Buildings: Transform those empty spaces between your buildings into vibrant parks and gardens.

• It’s a Walk in the Park: Customize routes and set ticket prices for new walking and sightseeing tours, among other tourism enhancements.

• Policies, Please: Take on three new city policies and eight new park policies to deal with recreational hazards like Fireworks and Animal Ethics.

More than that, Cities is adding a new radio station: Country Road Radio. The radio host is pure Dixieland Delight, spinning six instrumental tracks and ten songs with original vocals covering Appalachian Folk, Bluegrass/Honky Tonk, Nashville Modern Country and Unplugged country.

In addition to the paid expansion, Cities: Skylines will also get a free PC update, as usual, including a new tourism panel, trees that reduce noise pollution, a camera mode upgrade, new tourist models, and new modding features, including submeshmodding and an improved camera system so users can control the camera with scripts.

Pre-order TODAY!
Steam
Plaza
After my childhood was desecrated by Zoo Tycoon 2013, I can know built beautiful zoos again. Not to mention the fact that they will be part of a city not in a vacuum.

Dev Diaries coming up! At least before the release :D

Thanks for the great suggestions! Parklife has been so much fun to work on, can't wait to hear what you guys think of it!

I have a question... are developer diaries typically posted on Wednesdays? Wanted to know the schedule for that.

Will this make the game a bit more challenging? I don't want to see this be "drop in coaster park and get lots of free money" kinda thing. Would hope there will be major traffic issues we have to resolve for that kind of peep influx, plus more management stuff to take care of. It all sounds wonderful but I'm concerned this will make an easy game even easier if it's not balanced right.

I preordered Parklife on Steam, and the preorder bonuses are not showing up at all. Tried disconnecting and reconnecting Steam account link and hitting Sync button again, didn't help. :(

Is it only available if you preorder on the Paradox site? If so I really think there should be a disclaimer somewhere, or something...

These expansions are great and all, but I feel like they're all so minor. I'd love some sort of a challenge out of the game - sandbox is great but adding some sort of a challenge mode would only make replay-ability infinitely greater. Scenarios are fine for those who enjoy them, but I feel they take away from the creative nature of the game (I'm especially referring to the scenarios which come with pre-made cities).

Perhaps some sort of a daily/weekly challenge mode? Or demands given by your citizens? I know some will say "it's a sandbox game, use your imagination" but I'm sure there are others like me who've done the sandbox thing for hundreds of hours and now want something a little more challenging but with the same great experience of a sandbox. Even implementing some sort of a leaderboard system would give something to work towards. These are just a few suggestions, but none of these would take away from the core gameplay, especially if they are optional game modes/options.

I do still buy all the expansions and I do enjoy them for a short period, but every time I read the features of a new expansion I'm always really hoping for something a little bit more from the game - it's such a great game and there's still so much untapped potential!

I'm very excited about this expansion!

I just have a few concerns. From what we've seen so far it looks like it will focus on large scale parks. Will there be enhancements also to these odd-sized small areas that are too small for being a designated park district? If I plop a few trees and a bench in a one-square area, will the game give the surrounding area a small leisure boost?

Will this tool allow us to also create odd-sized squares/plazas? One thing that restricts me from using diagonal and curved streets are that I can't create a realistic square at the triangle area where the roads meet. Will I be able to paint pavement and add some benches or other props in that small area and the game will treat it as a park/square?

Funny that this happened, the mods actually make the base game a lot better! I hope you guys can include some of them as standard in the game in the future.