• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

jamhaw

Lt. General
21 Badges
Feb 16, 2008
  • Darkest Hour
  • 500k Club
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Penumbra - Black Plague
  • Majesty 2
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For The Glory
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Diplomacy
  • Deus Vult
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2
  • 200k Club
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
The Swedish version of the title was as I understand Svea Rike 3, were there any previous Svea Rike games?

The Swedish version of the title was as I understand Svea Rike 3, were there any previous Svea Rike games?

Yes there was Svea Rike and Svea Rike II, but those are very hard to find these days (I have tried without any success). If I have undestood correctly those are about the early modern era, unlike Svea Rike III.

I played Svea Rike I on a friend of mine's computer. It was a strategic game but every now and then it was interrupted by a mini-game, like a little archery contest or a puzzle, which if you won gave you some extra money or reputation or something. A bit unusual.

Me and my friend ended up in a dead end since we couldn't afford the first culture personality we were offered and then for 200(?) years not one other showed up. This experience made me very adverse to Paradox games so I was very late discovering the EU series. OTOH the EU games were nicely patched when I got round to them. :)

I actually own a copy of Svea Rike II but so far I only managed to get the intro to work (I haven't but a lot of effort into this - found the game in a sales bin and though why not?)

I have all three, I'll probably sell them at some point. Will probably be worth something. :cool:

EDIT: Also, the first two had nothing to do with Paradox Interactive.

Just noticed I necromanced this thread, damn it. I can't delete posts when I am on probation. Sorry.

It's actually quite easy to make the older games work in windows XP, vista and 7. Just go to your NVIDIA or ATI control panel and disable every imaginable hardware acceleration for the game and it will start up just fine. Just have to run it in 256 colors and a lower resolution.

And yes yes, necromancing.