• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Castellon

★Paradox Forum Manager★
Administrator
Paradox Staff
110 Badges
Mar 12, 2002
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Victoria 2 Beta
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Paradox Order
Welcome to our new suggestion forum.
Please note this is not the place to post bug reports or for tech support, there are separate forums for those issues.

This forum is for posting your ideas on how the game can be improved or features you would like to see.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Hello everybody! I few days i got an idea, in reality there were a lot of countries which was weaker than its enemy but defeated its enemy beacause of its organizition. In EU4 this is missing you can be a country with a 6/6/6 ruler but you can't beat stronger country. I think it would be a good idea to make a new mechanic "organization" . This mechanic would affect the manpower, income, etc. , it would be based on the ruler, the size of the country, ideas, advisers, technology, subject, etc. In my opinion it would be a good mechanic because this would allow that smaller countries can easily rise and big empires fall. In EU4 for example Hungary can't beat Austria, but in reality Hungary defeated Austria with Mattias Corvinus. All in all this mechanic would provide a lot of fun and your small duchy would have a chance to grow rapidly and your big empire fall apart in 10 years. What do you think?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I think you should post that in a thread of its own rather than posting as a reply to the "Welcome" thread :)

There have been a number of times when I've come across a problem which is not exactly a bug, but which probably shouldn't be in the game. For instance, in 1.20, if you played as Spain c.1600, you'd have high overextension from non-cored provinces in America. Other examples include that a country could achieve Magellan's voyage even if the game is started after 08/09/1522 (which incidentally may still be a problem in the current patch for all I know), and that James VI of Scotland and James I of England were treated as separate people if the game started during Elizabeth I's reign (which, again, may still be a problem in the current patch for all I know).

First of all, I'd like to ask whether we file this sort of thing under "bugs" or "suggestions". Second, please could you make this clear somewhere for anyone else who's unsure (e.g. on posts introducing the forums, such as this one, or in the forum descriptions)? Thanks.

Obvious database errors (such as the issue with Spain's provinces in the Americas) are bugs. Before reporting them, check that they occur in a "clean" situation where you advance the date to the target point (whether by clicking a bookmark as soon as you enter the lobby, or by using exclusively a single bookmark followed by the "forward" date buttons) and click 'start', since some things that look like database errors are actually side effects of the history backtracking code being composed entirely of wet string.

The thing with James VI and I is an engine limitation (the heir of one country can't be the ruler of another) which would require specific workarounds to deal with. These workarounds have been implemented for the historical case relevant to game start (the Margrave of Ansbach, Albrecht Achilles von Hohenzollern, is the historical successor to the Margrave-Elector of Brandenburg and so there are two copies of him at game start) but are unlikely to get implemented any time soon for scenarios further into the game.

Reactions:
Bump

Hello PDX,
first of all i love eu4 even though- like everyone i guess- a few changes happened i did not like, besides others i really enjoyed. i guess every player has his own ideas of how the game should improve either balancewise or to make it historically more accurate. Beside those changes/suggestions its often the little things that gave a lot of joy to the game ( PDXxmascarol, the music player options, macrobuilder, mapmodes etc). Theres one thing i would really love to see in eu4 that has just a little effect to game mechanics, but would make a huge to my (and hopefully a lot of other players) personal experience:

A little notepad. why? so if u cant play the game for lets say a week or even longer u may forget ur plans/tactics, the need to declare a war to prevent a coalition or something else.
of course u could write this down on a piece of paper but having it in the game, so u could check it before u start playing the save again would be a nice feature in my opinion. Maybe even add a little clock in it so u could set an alarm with text for a current in game date like "dow ottos now" or "stop playing u need to study" p.E poping up at a specific ingame date.

Making it look like a deed ( with a seal maybe) could make it fit in an optic way.

Hello PDX,
first of all i love eu4 even though- like everyone i guess- a few changes happened i did not like, besides others i really enjoyed. i guess every player has his own ideas of how the game should improve either balancewise or to make it historically more accurate. Beside those changes/suggestions its often the little things that gave a lot of joy to the game ( PDXxmascarol, the music player options, macrobuilder, mapmodes etc). Theres one thing i would really love to see in eu4 that has just a little effect to game mechanics, but would make a huge to my (and hopefully a lot of other players) personal experience:

A little notepad. why? so if u cant play the game for lets say a week or even longer u may forget ur plans/tactics, the need to declare a war to prevent a coalition or something else.
of course u could write this down on a piece of paper but having it in the game, so u could check it before u start playing the save again would be a nice feature in my opinion. Maybe even add a little clock in it so u could set an alarm with text for a current in game date like "dow ottos now" or "stop playing u need to study" p.E poping up at a specific ingame date.

Making it look like a deed ( with a seal maybe) could make it fit in an optic way.

While that's a nice idea, you can just easily alt+tab and open the notepad. I actually had thought of this notepad feature you suggested for various Paradox grand strategy games but I was hesitant on suggesting this due to the abundance of note-taking software, free and paid, all over.

To be frank, this is unlikely to be implemented so long as such software existed, although it would be nice to not have to alt+tab constantly for that.

Alarm might be ok but the problem is changing circumstances which could make DoW unattractive. However, it would be nice to have an option to choose a specific country to let us know the truce expired with that country (I think Stellaris already does this). It might be workable, however, if truces list isn't too long and there probably should be a cap on how many countries you choose for this. That shouldn't be a problem, though, as long as truce timer remained 5 years (I think that is the default) but that could change if you use a mod that modified the truce modifier.

As for alarms about external things such as stop playing and do studying, while that might be nice, you can still do that with an external software. In fact, there is Alarms and Clocks that comes with Windows 10 where alarms you set can still pop up even while playing a game full-screen. I don't know about other platforms so I can't say what software there is available for that and if it can notify you despite playing game full-screen or not.

One thing for sure, though, I do make use of notes and wikis for the reference when playing the game. I do use web browser in Steam overlay for this reason (although it is sometimes unreliable... sometimes a tab doesn't work and I had to close it and open the page again *rolls eyes*).