• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

unmerged(230954)

Dreamlords Dev
Oct 15, 2010
www.dreamlords.com
Hello everyone, my name is Daniel Ribera Olsen and I am the Community Manager and Graphical lead artist on Dreamlords Resurrection

I have worked with Lockpick Entertainment since 2007, leading the graphical artists and producing art for Dreamlords. I have also been involved in the major design decisions in the game.

In this space I hope to give some insight to the development and features in Dreamlords Resurrection, as well as try to provide answers to any questions you have about the game.

For more info, check out www.dreamlords.com and keep an eye on this place as well.

Alexspeed

Art - Games - History
186 Badges
Sep 18, 2005
steamcommunity.com
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Galactic Assault
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Iron Cross
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Lead and Gold
  • Legio
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Ancient Space
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Diplomacy
  • Dungeonland
  • East India Company
  • East India Company Collection
Hey and welcome to the Forums :)

Great to see a Graphical lead artist here, maybe you could show us some previews of the art for the game?

Thegreatplant

Second Lieutenant
66 Badges
Nov 27, 2007
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Iron Cross
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Divine Wind
  • East India Company
  • Darkest Hour
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • War of the Roses
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron: The Card Game
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • For the Motherland
  • Magicka
This all looks really interesting! Free to play?????? And Paradox involvement???? I might actually get involved with a game of this type...

unmerged(224556)

Dreamlords Moderator
15 Badges
Sep 2, 2010
www.dreamlords.com
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Semper Fi
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
Hello, I am a moderator on the dreamlords forum and in-game, I would like to say Hi and a warm welcome to you all!

In a thread bit back there was much controversy about the DLR being free to play, if there were hidden costs or what not.

Let me assure you that the game is completely, and I do truly and honestly mean completely free, the only thing you invest is your time. Even with money it does, of course grant you a small advantage, but a dedicated non-paying player can always come out on top.;)

The dev's, such as Daniel above, support this game with their own money, they truly believe in this game, and as such invest their money, and their future in to the game, it is completely free to play, and should you choose to pay or make a donation no real big advantage is gained. To put this in perspective, when LPE when bankrupt, the CEO David Rosen actually took on a second job so he could support himself and keep the servers functioning!:eek:

Any questions regarding invites and additional info on closed beta/open beta please refer to this thread: http://www.dreamlords.com/forum/posts/list/10221.page

Thank you, Shadowscythe!

marksteele

Second Lieutenant
30 Badges
Oct 9, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Impire
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Darkest Hour
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Prison Architect
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Age of Wonders III
  • 500k Club
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Cities: Skylines
Hello, I am a moderator on the dreamlords forum and in-game, I would like to say Hi and a warm welcome to you all!

In a thread bit back there was much controversy about the DLR being free to play, if there were hidden costs or what not.

Let me assure you that the game is completely, and I do truly and honestly mean completely free, the only thing you invest is your time. Even with money it does, of course grant you a small advantage, but a dedicated non-paying player can always come out on top.;)

The dev's, such as Daniel above, support this game with their own money, they truly believe in this game, and as such invest their money, and their future in to the game, it is completely free to play, and should you choose to pay or make a donation no real big advantage is gained. To put this in perspective, when LPE when bankrupt, the CEO David Rosen actually took on a second job so he could support himself and keep the servers functioning!:eek:

Any questions regarding invites and additional info on closed beta/open beta please refer to this thread: http://www.dreamlords.com/forum/posts/list/10221.page

Thank you, Shadowscythe!
herm although i agree the devs are really good, providing little advantage might be a mistake (and unless I am not remembering correctly, there was a large advantage in the aeria version). If there is no advantage players wont buy, and if players wont buy then in the end games must close. The sad truth, its all about the bottom line

Romtos

Field Marshal
76 Badges
Nov 1, 2008
  • Majesty 2
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Iron Cross
  • Magicka
  • Cities in Motion
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • 500k Club
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • War of the Roses
  • 200k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
I just discovered this forum and what info I gathered in the last twenty minutes intrigues me enough to be more interested. I have some questions though.
1) It sounds to good to be true that the game is and will stay completely free. I'm not one to complain about things given for free, but MMO's are a great time sink and it would be most annoying if Dreamlords (and thus my progress) would go down due to a faulty business model. How do you guys plan to continue funding the game?
2) It appears that at the moment there are three races available. While this could be enough, as a rule more options within a game is always better. Do you plan to expend content (in all areas) within the game over time? Is it possible that players are charged for accessing this additional content?

As it happens, charging players for additional content is a legitimate way of providing extra benefits for paying users without giving them any advantages over free players, except a richer experience.

unmerged(224556)

Dreamlords Moderator
15 Badges
Sep 2, 2010
www.dreamlords.com
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Semper Fi
Hello Romtos,

1) Dreamlords will truly remain free-to-play, there aren't many facts, but this is one of them, it will always be free to play, once you get to the the community a bit, and the dev's you will see this is true. I guess what I am trying to say is, you have no reason to believe it will stay free-to-play, so why not come join us and see for yourself, :p As for the business model, that is confidential and Only the dreamlords dev's and the paradox team would know that, though I am quite sure there is one.

2) Yes, there are 3 races available at this time, this is directly relevant to the lore of the game, in it's most epicly basic form, Thul are brutish beasts, Covenant and Nihillim are from the same core society but broke apart due to differing views on important matters, the cov's uphold virtue and honor, the nih's are dark magic and arts users. At this time there is no plan for there to be a 4th race, it would take quite awhile to balance, would not fit in with the lore, and would take time away from improving the game in many other, more immediate areas.

Indeed charging for additional content is a legitimate way of providing extra benefits, and buying tribute does indeed enable you to buy certain things which can aid you, though very slightly, and also you can buy things to just look cool! :) There is this one ring...which shoots out bubbles! Now that, my friend, is epic.

Hope I helped, if you have any more questions please feel free to ask here or contact me.

/Scythe

Romtos

Field Marshal
76 Badges
Nov 1, 2008
  • Majesty 2
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Iron Cross
  • Magicka
  • Cities in Motion
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • 500k Club
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • War of the Roses
  • 200k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
Swift reply. Nice. :)

Hello Romtos,

1) Dreamlords will truly remain free-to-play, there aren't many facts, but this is one of them, it will always be free to play, once you get to the the community a bit, and the dev's you will see this is true. I guess what I am trying to say is, you have no reason to believe it will stay free-to-play, so why not come join us and see for yourself, :p As for the business model, that is confidential and Only the dreamlords dev's and the paradox team would know that, though I am quite sure there is one.
I don't think you understood my question. Let me rephrase.

Many free-to-play MMOs disappear swiftly. It's difficult to make a FtP MMO solvent. I'm afraid the MMO will not hold out sufficiently long to warrant the time sink which comes with it. Hence, I ask: How does Dreamlords make money? (The business model).
2) Yes, there are 3 races available at this time, this is directly relevant to the lore of the game, in it's most epicly basic form, Thul are brutish beasts, Covenant and Nihillim are from the same core society but broke apart due to differing views on important matters, the cov's uphold virtue and honor, the nih's are dark magic and arts users. At this time there is no plan for there to be a 4th race, it would take quite awhile to balance, would not fit in with the lore, and would take time away from improving the game in many other, more immediate areas.
The race was an example. I did not delve deeply enough in the game to provide other examples of content extensions. Perhaps a poorly chosen one. :)
Indeed charging for additional content is a legitimate way of providing extra benefits, and buying tribute does indeed enable you to buy certain things which can aid you, though very slightly, and also you can buy things to just look cool! :) There is this one ring...which shoots out bubbles! Now that, my friend, is epic.
Indeed, this is another example of what I had in mind. Payed-only content does not need to unbalance the game in any way, given it's properly balanced.
Hope I helped, if you have any more questions please feel free to ask here or contact me.

/Scythe
Thanks for the extensive answer. :)

unmerged(224556)

Dreamlords Moderator
15 Badges
Sep 2, 2010
www.dreamlords.com
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Semper Fi
Hello, sorry about my late reply, college/karate is quite hectic :D Sorry if these were misinterpreted earlier, I will try to clear that up.

1) Dreamlords primary way of making money is through players purchasing premium time (Basically an upgraded account with some small goodies, such as not having to pay market tax when placing an item in the market for sale.) The other way dreamlords makes money is through players purchasing tribute, the games important currency where you buy gear and other such luxuries from the altar of cynos.

While I am sure there are other ways dreamlords makes money, such as some businesses make a small chunk of money when their ad is clicked on, I can not delve in to these as I do not know enough about them.

As for content extensions, they are always coming out with some new changes to the races themselves, e.g. how armor/damage is calculated, base levels for different units at different levels, different tiers of abilities and the like. As well as a ton of other new goodies.

unmerged(233529)

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2010
Hello World!

I'm Stratege, a Dreamlords moderator. Sadly my name was already picked in this forum, so I had to chose another one ... and then wait 5 days to post ^^

Just wanted to say hi and that I'm eager to see you all play Dreamlords when the open beta starts. And if you got some questions feel free to send me a message or ask in a thread.

About payed content and dreamlords:
So far there have been 2 different ways to spend money on the game.
1. Premium account, giving you small benefits which just make live easier - a non-premium can compensate by playing more. Also they enable you to use "premium traits". Traits are a very important persistant element of the game. Half the trait point gains are normal traits and the other half premium points. Therefor premium accounts have a quicker over-the-eras-progression (this does NOT affect the in-era progression though).

2. Tribute. Many things can be buyed from tribute, but most of them in limited quantity and most serve as easy-to-gain alternatives to normal items (so you can opt to instead wait for it to drop or buy from the market, get a compareable item from the altar for tribute). There's also Dreamlord Gear which can be buyed from tribute and makes your dreamlord look that much more awesome. And another very important function of tribute is that you can spent it to buy premium points if you don't have a premium account.

Lightcaster

Dreamlords Moderator
31 Badges
Nov 1, 2010
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Magicka 2 - Signup Campaign
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Magicka
I have to say that premium time and tribute DO make a certain amount of money, i'd imagine... i'm not sure how much, but i know that i like to have both at all times...

unmerged(224556)

Dreamlords Moderator
15 Badges
Sep 2, 2010
www.dreamlords.com
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Semper Fi
Just a quick bump, dreamlords test phase is expected to end sometime next week, so who knows, maybe some competitions and contests may be taking place soon, :p

Alexspeed

Art - Games - History
186 Badges
Sep 18, 2005
steamcommunity.com
  • Divine Wind
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Galactic Assault
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Iron Cross
  • King Arthur II
  • Lead and Gold
  • Legio
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Crusader Kings III
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Ancient Space
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Diplomacy
  • Dungeonland
  • East India Company
  • East India Company Collection
Just a quick bump, dreamlords test phase is expected to end sometime next week, so who knows, maybe some competitions and contests may be taking place soon, :p
More. Details. Now.

Please :)

marksteele

Second Lieutenant
30 Badges
Oct 9, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Impire
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Darkest Hour
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Prison Architect
  • Age of Wonders III
  • 500k Club
  • The Showdown Effect
the devs and mods over there are surprising secretive :p, I've been trying to get into the beta for about 3 months now with no success :). Ah well I'll see what this week brings.