Welcome to BloodCarnage!... a Dwarf Fortress succession game

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
May my axe fell many, ye barked tree-fiends!

I should go about learning to play DF fortress mode. I've been content to be a lonely adventurer, destroying Elven lives and running from boogeymen.

A few notes on my fortress design:

You may wonder why my entrance corridor is so wide (five tiles), so far from the main stairs, and bends through a right-angle. It's awkward in the short run, but is all part of my LONG TERM design for our defenses.

I believe in using LAYERED defenses. Here's my evil plan:

The outermost defensive layer... the one that invaders will hit first... will be an array of Magma Mines: holes in the ground that lead down, across, and then UP a couple of dozen levels into the air (that latter part must be constructed, of course, not dug) into an overhead Magma reservoir outfitted with a large number of pumps. As invaders enter the map, we flip a lever to turn on the pumps, thus pressurizing the Magma in the conduits. As they approach the array of Magma Mines, we flip a second lever to open the floodgates... shooting pressurized fountains of Magma hundreds of feet into the air, to rain down on the beardless heads of our enemies.

The next defensive layer is a fortified outdoor compound... a high and thick wall, with Fortifications along the inner and outer edges, and with the inner compound roofed-in to prevent aerial attack; with fortified MarksDwarf towers at strategic points such as gates and corners. There would typically be two openings in the outer wall... the first one a narrow and heavily-trapped path leading over a very (very) deep pit, which would be left open pretty well all the time; and the second one a seven-tile-wide wide air-lock (with three-tile-wide inner and outer drawbridges) which contains our trade depot. This air-lock would usually have only the outer door left open... and when a Caravan enters the map and arrives at the depot we would shut the outer drawbridge and open the inner one, so that we could carry our goods out to trade with them. Caravan wagons will NOT cross traps, so all of our traps will be located just inside the INNER air-lock drawbridge... the Caravan itself would stop at the depot inside the air-lock; so it would not need to cross the traps. I'm planning (later) to hollow out a large underground room directly beneath the outdoor compound and fill it with Magma, so that our entire outdoor compound has "central heating" from the Magma immediately below it. This will allow us to grow outdoor crops such as Sunberries and Strawberries.

The next defensive layer is built into the ground-level entrance (and hence the odd design of my entrance corridor). First a five-by-two drawbridge to act as a "shutter" that can be closed to cover our doors. This shutter would be closely flanked by 1x1 "walls" which prevent building destroyers from attacking the left and right edges of the drawbridge itself. In effect, the drawbridge "shutter" would be counter-sunk into the hillside, with only its outer surface (the outer surface when shut... the lower surface when open) exposed to approaching enemies. That makes it totally immune to building destroyers WHEN IT'S SHUT (but not, of course, when it's open).

Then two pairs of doors, with an unmined 1x1 wall between the second and third door. Doors MUST be set up next to a wall, so the arrangement wall - door - door - wall - door - door - wall gives us a five-wide entry-way containing four doors; with all four doors properly supported. These doors can of course be locked when we don't need access to the outdoor compound. Then a row of traps, just inside the doors.

The five-tile-wide entrance corridor (accessed by the doors) will be flanked on both sides by ditches, which will prevent any opponents who make it that deep into our layered defenses from getting adjacent to the Fortifications on the opposite (outer) side of the ditches. To the left and right of the entrance corridor (and separated from it by the ditches) will be fortified rooms for MarksDwarves, who will also be able to shoot out through other fortifications at anyone crossing the outside compound. Where the entrance corridor turns through a right-angle (to head towards the stairs) will be another ditched-and-fortified room containing three Ballista, set back from the walkable path far enough that the operators won't be frightened away by the approaching enemies... siege-weapon operators are counted as civilians, not military, and will run if the enemy gets too close. The ballista will be positioned to fire down the length of the entrance corridor... and out into the compound if desired.

The last line of defense will be another set of drawbridge-shutter and doors; so that if the whole situation falls apart we can seal ourselves off again by conceding the outer defenses.

Naturally, we can incorporate optional Magma into this defensive plan.

love everything about it. Would an operation: F#$% the World be possible? A system in which we flood every square not inside the fortress perimeter with magma?

love everything about it. Would an operation: F#$% the World be possible? A system in which we flood every square not inside the fortress perimeter with magma?

That is certainly possible. In fact, I'm not sure how else we could deal with a Necromancer entering the map just after we've killed off an eighty-Goblin siege. If we try to kill his undead... he just re-animates them AGAIN! We need a way to kill the Necromancer himself... and they are STEALTH units (ie: invisible unless they directly attack someone or are spotted at very close range).

Last edited:
I'd like to be Dwarfed. Anything you get available will be fine.

Holy Carp!

On 7th Slate (February 7th), THE SNOW MELTED!

Spring has come to Planet Paradox!

... and it turns out that the forest covering the northern section of our map is mostly Feather Trees! Now THAT is interesting... Feather Trees are as light as Balsa Wood. There must be some way to weaponize this...

Blue, did you "break" this game like you did Aurora? I can't wait to see the DF version of the rock class. LOL

I'd like to be Dwarfed. Anything you get available will be fine.
Hey Gunman, where did you get that Gadsden flag? I used to have a red one as my avatar until the mass execution of individual avatars.

If there is room for more dwarfs may I join?

Blue, did you "break" this game like you did Aurora? I can't wait to see the DF version of the rock class. LOL

There are a number of features that can be seriously exploited.

Did you know that if you...

a) ... drop a Dwarf at least two z-levels (eg: by positioning him on a lever-controlled hatch-cover over a pit and having a second Dwarf pull the lever),

b) ... so that he lands right on an upright spear trap (even if it is just a wooden training spear),

c) ... and the Dwarf is holding a Shield and/or holding a melee weapon (eg: Axe) in which he has at least "Dabbling" proficiency

THEN:

He will instantly gain over a quarter of a million Experience Points (!) in Fighter skill and in Shield skill and/or the chosen Weapon skill... enough to raise him roughly 85 levels, to somewhere around level Legendary+65

Unfortunately he gains no stat boosts AT ALL from those "free" levels... but a Legendary+65 Shield User can block nearly any attack including Dragon Breath.

If there is room for more dwarfs may I join?

There's ALWAYS room for more Dwarves. You'll join the waiting list for immigrants. We normally get two waves of immigrants in the first year, with each wave consisting of anywhere from two to twelve Dwarves.

I'll update the list tomorrow... must sleep. Classes in the morning.

I'm taking term 2 of a heavy IT course at college, after being out of school for the last 39 years.

First-term overall grades (averaged across my 8 courses): 98%!
Personal best: a term average of 106.5% in Visual Basic Programming!

Last edited:
:rofl:

That spear trap trick sounds neat. I really wonder how in the world you found that one out ;-)

Would love to be dwarfed as some kind of soldier. Don't know how to play DF though :p.

Dwarf me, would join the succession but haven't played since 2010 so I'll sit this one out.

:rofl:

That spear trap trick sounds neat. I really wonder how in the world you found that one out ;-)

The rationale is: as he falls towards the ground, the Dwarf PARRIES THE PLANET, instantly gaining experience for an enemy massing 6 x 10^24 kg.

From the journal of Blue Emu FireLashes: 14th Felsite (Late Spring), Year 137

What a Gods-aweful stench!

After we slaughtered those Buffalo, our lazy gang of idiots were so slow getting the meat packed away that half of it rotted in the Butcher's Shop.

BS_02_zpsdb608430.jpg

I suppose I shouldn't be too hard on them... we've had a hundred jobs to do, and they all need to be done at once... and we were counting on the cold weather to keep the meat frozen.

Then we got this warm snap in the weather...

BS_04_zps293c2f06.jpg

... and all the snow melted. The ice in the ponds melted. And the bloody Buffalo meat rotted.

We're finally starting to get organized. Thank Armok for THAT.

BS_03_zps8f9eeb60.jpg

Connall has got nearly half of our seeds planted, and the last of them should be in the ground by early Summer. So Booze and Food shouldn't be a problem, at least for the seven of us. If a whole gang of useless mouths from Mountainhome shows up at our door, rations might get pretty tight. But what sort of idiots would want to come to a place like this?

Idiots like US, I suppose...

Noco has felled enough trees for our immediate Lumber needs, so he built himself a Carpenter's Shop and started making us a bunch of Featherwood Beds. Like all the rest of these chuckle-heads, he can't tell a saw from a hammer... WHO ORGANIZED this Gods-damned expedition? No miners, no lumberjack, no carpenter, no mason...

Anyway... he doesn't know any more about carpentry than I know about deep sea diving, but as long as we can sleep on the beds he makes, I don't give a damn what they look like. We've been sleeping in the bloody dirt since we got here, three months ago.

In the few spare minutes I get between issuing orders and ranting at these rock-headed idiots, I did find time to craft a dozen or so Mechanisms. The next damned thing I do will be getting that drawbridge operational; and by Armok's bloody beard, that will be a relief. We'll finally have something solid between us and those damned Sasquatches. Or Zombie Dire Wolves. Or whatever the Hells is out there. After I've got the drawbridge working, I can start setting up a few little surprises for any unwelcome visitors... a few cage traps shouldn't take too long to make. If Noco can hammer together some wooden cages for me, I can set up the trap mechanisms.

Last edited:
Immigrants! Seven of them. I'll be Dwarfing some people off the waiting list as soon as I get home from classes today.

Also, one word: Snake-splosion!