Welcome to BloodCarnage!... a Dwarf Fortress succession game

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Dwarf me or at least put me in line for an immigrant spot. Never played this game, so no overseer spot for me.

Culise, Son of Liberty and Stuckenschmidt added to list.

Everyone wants to be a dorf, but nobody (especially me!) wants responsibility for managing this ticking time bomb.

Everyone wants to be a dorf, but nobody (especially me!) wants responsibility for managing this ticking time bomb.
Well I'm a paranoid/finicky little bugger. I'm always afraid I'll mess up soemwhere and get everyone killed. I don't know all of the mechanics, but I do know a bit about how the military works so that's good at least.

In fact, sign me up as another administrator! I sound like I'll be perfect for the job :laugh:.

I got no classes today (hooray for 0 degree temperature) I can start my own game and polish myself on this game.

In my case, I'm just worried that I'll turn in a boring turn. "OK, one year passed, and absolutely nothing happened." My forts tend to be very dull affairs, at least from the FUN! perspective, in part because I expand very slowly. I only very rarely crack magma or caverns in the first year.

This embark has the potential to be either very dull (if we seal ourselves in) or terminally exciting (if we open the door).

I'm home from classes. I'll get some screen-shots together and post them (probably in two separate posts) then add the latest would-be Dwarves to the list and play a few more months.

Here is a world map:
LandOfParadox_1_zps078b1c53.jpg

We've embarked on the lower of the two circled volcanoes on that large-scale map.

Here's a view in the site finder:
LandOfParadox_zps93ff0267.jpg

The yellow square outlines our embark area... a 3x3 site with the volcano ("The Brutal Torch") in the south-west corner, and forested plains running across the north of our map.

The landscape is pretty extreme; the northern third of our map is absolutely flat and heavily forested, while the volcano and the mountain to the east of it are bare and rise thirty levels over the plains. Everything is covered in snow, which will probably not melt even in summer.
LandOfParadox_2_zps2e2f3ca3.jpg

The wildlife is even more extreme... the forested plain is Mirthful (one of the most "savage" and aggressive form of Good-aligned terrain) while the mountainous southern section is Savage (Neutral-aligned and aggressive). We can expect some pretty monstrous creatures to migrate on-and-off the map, not counting invaders and enemies.

Speaking of invaders... our nearest neighbor is a Necromancer's Tower only a few map-tiles away (off-map), so we can expect serious undead problems in the future. Necromancers can re-animate any dead things on the map, so if we kill something (such as a 60-Goblin war party) we MUST remember to dispose of the corpses. Even the dead Kittens in your own Refuse Stockpile can rise up and attack you.

We also have contact with all the civilizations: Dwarves, Elves, Humans, Goblins (at War)... and since the world-gen halted at Year 137 (even though I had pre-set it for 300 years) the Kobolds are probably still alive and in contact with us as well. Kobolds never appear on the civ-finder, regardless of whether they are alive or dead.

For corpse disposal, I suggest a magma chamber to burn the undead. For a more fun approach, dump the corpses in an arena, wait for them to rise, then send other things like captured goblins to kill them. Or send your military in for training.

For corpse disposal, I suggest a magma chamber to burn the undead. For a more fun approach, dump the corpses in an arena, wait for them to rise, then send other things like captured goblins to kill them. Or send your military in for training.

The problem is going outside and gathering up not only dozens of corpses but also loose body parts... Necromancers can also reanimate severed bits of creatures, such as arms, toes, eyeballs and spleens. Gathering all this up after a battle would expose a large work-force to the local Sasquatches, Dire Wolves, Mastadons or whatever.

It might be simpler and safer to just set up an elaborate flood-the-world-with-MAGMA device, and cremate everything right where it lies.

The problem is going outside and gathering up not only dozens of corpses but also loose body parts... Necromancers can also reanimate severed bits of creatures, such as arms, toes, eyeballs and spleens. Gathering all this up after a battle would expose a large work-force to the local Sasquatches, Dire Wolves, Mastadons or whatever.

It might be simpler and safer to just set up an elaborate flood-the-world-with-MAGMA device, and cremate everything right where it lies.
That could work. WE could set up a killzone area. A long tunnel fill with traps and ledges for dwarfs to shoot down on. Connect it with a magma tunnel for burning. Although, I'd prefer if we would be able to strip the invaders before we set the magma upon them.

Here are a couple of shots of the local map.

The first is a wide-angle view of our entire embark, taken at ground level so the mountains in the southern section are shown in black (underground, unexplored):

BS_00_zpsc36e3255.jpg

The fort is more or less in the center of the map. Our wagon is sitting on the hillside about five levels above this z-level (and therefore out-of-shot in this picture) and is to the east of our tunnel entrance.

Here's a closer view of the fort:

BS_01_zpsa69565b9.jpg

The room at the right is our Farm, currently under construction. At left is the entrance corridor, presently chaotically filled with Workshops, Booze, Food and Dwarves. Our animals are pastured just outside the entrance... more for our protection than for theirs. I've designated an up/down stairway to be dug near the center of the fort, and I'm planning to dig out the storerooms and temporary workshops and living quarters in the first level below, to the north of our fort. That's because the forested plain that fills the northern section of our map seems to have at least one Sand layer, which will allow us to dig out rooms very quickly. Later on (once we have the bare essentials in place) we'll dig out permanent store-rooms, workshops and living quarters in a rock layer deeper down, and turn the hollowed-out soil rooms into underground pastures and tree farms.

I just DL'd DF and for some reason Therapist keeps crashing. Using Windows 8.

I just DL'd DF and for some reason Therapist keeps crashing. Using Windows 8.

How odd. It works fine for me... although I'm currently running it on Win 7 Home.

Dwarf Therapist seems almost a necessity once you get past 20 dwarves or so. Is there anyway to start just therapist after you have embarked?

Dwarf Therapist seems almost a necessity once you get past 20 dwarves or so. Is there anyway to start just therapist after you have embarked?

I have never understood how to use Dwarf Therapist

IMHO, the damning thing is that people need third-party programs to manage DF. They need to stop adding stuff for a while and create a comprehensible interface.