Weird question - Does an internet browser take you to different places in the forums depending on whether you click on a link or type in the address?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

alexvk3bqn

Sergeant
Aug 27, 2020
Helllo.

I am fairly new to the forums, and have been asking a lot of questions recently, but this has me quite confused.

I am using an old windows 7 computer with microsoft edge as a browser.

I have had several discussions in the forums with others about links in the forums and where they lead me.

In particular, in a discussion about registering old games I was given an address that would "list all the medals available", but that generally didn't work for me.

I tried it several times but never got to where I was told it led.

After a bit more experience, I finally noticed something that should have occurred to me much earlier.

Each time I had tried to type the address as given into the browser, it had led me somewhere else, completely different from where I was told it would.
When I just "clicked" on the link, it led me to the place I was told it led.

Typing the address link in precisely as given, I never got there.
Clicking on it got me to the site I was told it would.

I have now observed this in several different links on this site.

If I type in the link given, precisely as given, it will lead me to somewhere different than if I click on a link.

Since I would often copy the link information to use later, that explains some of my confusion.

I am not sure if it happens only when I am already connected to the forums or if it also happens before I am connected to them.

It is quite possible that it is some kind of fault in my computer, and that nobody else is having the same effect occur, but I thought it worth pointing out in case there is something systematically "odd" in how the links run that might need looking at or clarification.

It is possibly there may be some differences in the way the different browsers function and read the information.

I have already mentioned in my other questions that when using "internet explorer", the button to press on for the "cookie" message never appeared onscreen, and I could never find it.
When I started using the edge browser, it always showed up.

All these may simply be problems with my computer, but I suggest you have somebody look into the possibility it at your end as well.

This occurred to me partly because in the reply to my question about the availability of old mods, I received a reply and when I clicked on the link, it led me to a site I had never been able to find or get to before.
The possible implications of that only occurred to me much later on.

If I am the only person getting this kind of thing happening, and the fault is in my computer, then I must apologise for some of my comments about the difficulties of navigating the forums.

I cannot escape the feeling that computers do not like me, and are showing it.

I hope I am the only person this is happening to.

It could be causing significant confusion otherwise.

ALEXVK3BQN

Each time I had tried to type the address as given into the browser, it had led me somewhere else, completely different from where I was told it would.
When I just "clicked" on the link, it led me to the place I was told it led.

Typing the address link in precisely as given, I never got there.
Clicking on it got me to the site I was told it would.

I have now observed this in several different links on this site.

If I type in the link given, precisely as given, it will lead me to somewhere different than if I click on a link.
I think that only happens to you ... can you give an example?

Have you cleared all your Paradox cookies and your browser cache? Disabled any browser extensions?

Thank you for yuor response.

One specific example I have in mind is from my beginners questions elsewhere on how to use the forums.

At one point I was sent an address that I was told would lead me into a forum of the "available medals".

Part of the address is listed as - /forum/threads/paradox-interactive-forums-o-medals-icons.1188414/
(The last time I tried to copy the full address into a message, the system wouldn't accept it.)

I saved the address to use later.

As I said at the time, every time after that that I typed the full address into the browser, it would put me into a forum of screenshots, not what I had been told.

Since then, I have tried "clicking" on the address as given, and it takes me to where I was told it would.

I have had similar things happen with other addresses on your forums,
I have rarely used forums so I don't know if it has happened on systems used by others groups.

I am sometimes getting completely different results depending on whether or not I type in the address, or just click on it.

I am relieved to hear that I am apparently the only person experiencing these kinds of problems.

In one way, I find it irritating, but it is good to know that it is not a serious problem for anybody else.
I tend to have a deep dislike of systems that have systemic failures.
(I think it shows.)
I can't say I find it pleasant being the only one with this problem, or who is, apparently, the only one making all these mistakes, but it's better than the alternative.

As for clearing system histories, I use a couple of commercial "cleaning programs", and I'm not sure what they do in detail.

I do not know what the effects would be on how the browser and systems would function.

If it is, again, only my problem or my mistakes, then I sincerely apologise for taking up your time with my problems.

ALEXVK3BQN

I am sorry if I was unclear.

That WAS the address I typed in.

I could not copy it completely in my earlier questions because the system refused to allow me to post the full address when I tried to.

That is the specific address I was referring to however, and in my early attempts, I typed it into the browser, complete and in full.
Each time, I ended up somewhere different to when I clicked on it.

I am sorry for any confusion and for taking up your time.

I am clearly doing something wrong, or their is a fault somewhere in my system.

I think I should probably give up trying to use the forums until I can work out what I am doing wrong.

Thank you for responding anyway.

ALEXVK3BQN

Why even type?
Copy and pasting adresses, sure, but actual typing?

Regardless
am not sure if it happens only when I am already connected to the forums or if it also happens before I am connected to them.
This is a very important thing, I think. In some cases you may only access specific areas if you are logged in. So if you are not logged in it may happen that you won't get to the desired location when using a link (regardless if clicked on, typed, or copy-pasted).

Thank you for trying to help somebody who doesn't know what he's doing.

As a partial explanation, I sometimes find myself trying to do several things around the same time.
As a result, I sometimes want to do other things before checking out certain links that may be useful, so I make a "note" or copy to use later.

Sometimes a "copy" or "picture" I have made of the link while trying to do other things as well, doesn't actually work, so if I have saved it, I try typing it in instead of going back to where I was.

I don't think this is an important issue for anybody else.
If I'm the only person having these problems, then it's probably not worth anybody else's time to sort out what is going on.

I must say, one observation on another point, before I ever tried posting anything here I often read some of the comments in the forums.

While there were some (extremely) strong arguments over some technical points, they were almost always polite and trying to be helpful.

Some of the other game forums seem to be nothing but people screaming insults and never listening to each other.

Others are worse.

These forums are much better to read, even when I don't understand, because most people are more concerned with the facts, and trying to find explanations for things than with boasting about themselves or pushing their own politics.

I think it may have something to do with the mindset of the people who play these games.

Strategic games tend to encourage "long term" thinking and analysis, and encourage people to look at details and to try and predict the consequences of their actions.

There doesn't seem to be much of that anywhere else in the world at the moment.

I regret any difficulty I have caused to anybody on these forums, through my lack of clarity, or understanding, or errors.

ALEXVK3BQN

Reactions:
You see the string of numbers at the end of the URL? That's the important part, as that series of digits is called an ID. If you happen to type in the wrong set of numbers, the forum software is going to go looking for the thread with the ID specified. The forums use an ID system when it comes to querying threads from the database, each thread having a unique ID.

I could link to https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/pineapple-pizza.1493153/ and you'll see it'll just come back to this very thread. So what might have happened is in your case, you simply ... dialed the wrong number.

Last edited:
Reactions:
It's possible I suppose, but I tried it several times on different days, and ended up at the same location each time.

That would mean I would have had to make the EXACT SAME transcription error every time.

I don't know.

Maybe I did.

I know the medications I'm on are interfering with my thinking clearly.

Perhaps that is the answer.

Anyway, thank you for the explanation of how the system works and the suggestion as to what might be happening.

I really don't know how many of the weird things that happen are something I've done, or something else entirely.

As an example, I'm still occasionally getting the weird result when I click on the cookie reply to enter the forum, but not nearly as often as I was.

There are so many things I don't understand.

Thank you again for your reply.

ALEXVK3BQN