• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
We built it in time for the Soviets to shoot it to pieces!

(You should write an epilogue from the point of view of a lone German cosmonaut orbiting Earth when Germany surrenders. You can call it "die Gravitation" :happy: )

He would be callled "Major Tom", right?

A sad end to the glorious Weimar republic.:(

Indeed, but at least it did not die without a fight!

JUst a little question. What is mixed mod beta 7??

It is a merge of several mods for DH. Amongst others, it includes the Communist and Democrattic Germany mods, taxes and salaries mod, Olympics and World Cup...it really adds lots of options to any nation you play, give it a try!

What a fascinating end to this AAR. In fact, it helps support my view that historically, fascist Germany was better in the long run for the world than a democratic one would have been (I mean this in a purely geopolitical way; I'm not ignoring the evil of the Holocaust). A fascist Germany was able to hold off the Soviets long enough for the allies to finish the job, whereas in yours a democratic Germany was too weak and alone to hold off the red menace, leading to a massive USSR.

Anyway, great AAR! I enjoyed seeing your attempts to stem the flood.

What a fascinating end to this AAR. In fact, it helps support my view that historically, fascist Germany was better in the long run for the world than a democratic one would have been (I mean this in a purely geopolitical way; I'm not ignoring the evil of the Holocaust). A fascist Germany was able to hold off the Soviets long enough for the allies to finish the job, whereas in yours a democratic Germany was too weak and alone to hold off the red menace, leading to a massive USSR.

Because a Darkest Hour game is really an accurate simulation of alternate history...

Reactions:
What the fuss...

Well, that is one of those AARs where no one could imagine the end...

Oddly, now that the SOZ has been created the game is getting quite laggy; fortunately, I have made several screenshots and the next update will be posted this week. Also, if the problem persists I will just reload as the SU and manually release the GDR in order to end the AAR trying not to leave any loose ties.

Anyways, and since a moderator gave me permission to run the poll on my next AAR, I propose you to do so while we wait for the next update. As you will see, I will post some ideas in here, I will write it down in a formulary style so it can be easier to answer by quoting it. A few considerations, though:

- I will first propose some personal ideas I think could be cool for an AAR, please give your sincere oppinion about them.

- Some ideas will be categorized under certain mods (KR, Mod33...), while some others will be just the name of the country. In such cases, I will still have to decide if I use DHFull (easier and more open), TRP (cool and the best looking one, IMO) or WiF (harder, so don´t expect me to play a difficult country with it!).

- There will also be some section for any other suggestions you may have: the AAR you always wanted to read, some underrated nations that deserve one, etc.

- A final warning: this is not a democracy :laugh:. I will take into consideration all of your commentaries, but an AAR is quite personal and I need to feel comfortable with the AAR´s theme. So, if suddenly there is a huge majority of people wanting an AAR about "How Switzerland remained neutral during all the war"...well, that would be too much wasted time for my current life!

VOTING FORMULARY

PERSONAL IDEAS:

- DHF/WIF/MMod/TRP (please state which one you think it´s best for the following ideas): Post-bitter peace USSR (can be difficult and hard to find info or pics, but the premise is quite interesting), United Kingdom (a traditional one or a naval-only AAR), Turkey (lots of options ans rarely seen as an AAR subject), Yugoslavia (lots of options too), Republican or Nationalist Spain (I am Spanish, so it can be interesting although also a little bit boring after the Civil war), Ethiopia (why not?), or some kind of Scandinavian AAR from the Norwegian, Finnish and Swedish perspective at the same time and with the same game.

- MOD33: Lots of options here. Trotskyist USSR, Austro-hungarian restoration, Fascist France, Communist USA...almost anything you can think about!

- Kaiserreich: Commune of France, Union of Britain, CSA, Mittleafrika.

YOUR IDEAS:

People's Liberation Army of Luxemburg!

How about Belgelands? It's an interesting concept, don't you think? :)

Mittelafrika->Centroafrica(or not) in KR or Republican Spain in and try to join the Allies or the Comintern in either WIF/MMod/TRP (They all sound like good choices to use tbh, even MMod--which isn't bad I just think it full of stuff I'll never use but I know you have a use for them)

- DHF/WIF/MMod/TRP
USSR: Since you want something really hard I suppose vanilla is the best choice.
Britain: Bah! I would never be interested in a naval-only AAR. Again, this is a difficult country during the time you're alone, so vanilla is the most logical option, though I've never played TRP.
Turkey: Oh, amazing minor! Would love to see anything about them, particularly a restoration of the caliphate. For them and Ethiopia (countires which I suppose haven't been worked upon greatly I guess any mod will be the same, so you might as well go for vanilla.
Yugoslavia: Not sure about them. there might be room for growth, but it doesn't seem as realistic in any scenario. It won't be easy, either.
Both Spains: A good idea, but I think you'll run out of ideas once/if you fight Portugal. WiF?
EDIT: Fighting with the Allies would be awesome, but unless you do it in the late game you'd have problens succedding.
Ethiopia: Yet another cool nation. However, I'd be most interested in expansion in all directions, which'd be way too hard at first glance.
Scandinavia?: Exotic... Not sure. In any case, more events are a must here, so WiF.

- MOD33:
Most of those names are new t me, so I can't really say much, other than Fascist France sounds really cool!

- Kaiserreich:
Above Mittleafrika, I would put South Africa. Both have conquest events, but SA has awesome tech groups, and to me it just sounds better.

My idea:
La Plata (KR, of course): Unite South America, perhaps ally with the Germans for blueprints. Whatever happens, rise to greatness and create a new power block in the south.

Damn! I was going to use Turkey as my next AAR. I suppose then you should do Turkey, and I'll do my second choice then. Good luck!

Pacific States of America

People's Liberation Army of Luxemburg!

How about Belgelands? It's an interesting concept, don't you think? :)

Hmmm, honestly I do not know how I could survive against the Germans, but now my curiosity has arised and I will start reading your AAR (the 1st Hoi3 AAR for me) ASAP.

Mittelafrika->Centroafrica(or not) in KR or Republican Spain in and try to join the Allies or the Comintern in either WIF/MMod/TRP (They all sound like good choices to use tbh, even MMod--which isn't bad I just think it full of stuff I'll never use but I know you have a use for them)

I would like a Republican Spain AAR, but it would have no events or major decisions in game, so it may get a little boring.

- DHF/WIF/MMod/TRP
USSR: Since you want something really hard I suppose vanilla is the best choice.
Britain: Bah! I would never be interested in a naval-only AAR. Again, this is a difficult country during the time you're alone, so vanilla is the most logical option, though I've never played TRP.
Turkey: Oh, amazing minor! Would love to see anything about them, particularly a restoration of the caliphate. For them and Ethiopia (countires which I suppose haven't been worked upon greatly I guess any mod will be the same, so you might as well go for vanilla.
Yugoslavia: Not sure about them. there might be room for growth, but it doesn't seem as realistic in any scenario. It won't be easy, either.
Both Spains: A good idea, but I think you'll run out of ideas once/if you fight Portugal. WiF?
EDIT: Fighting with the Allies would be awesome, but unless you do it in the late game you'd have problens succedding.
Ethiopia: Yet another cool nation. However, I'd be most interested in expansion in all directions, which'd be way too hard at first glance.
Scandinavia?: Exotic... Not sure. In any case, more events are a must here, so WiF.

- MOD33:
Most of those names are new t me, so I can't really say much, other than Fascist France sounds really cool!

- Kaiserreich:
Above Mittleafrika, I would put South Africa. Both have conquest events, but SA has awesome tech groups, and to me it just sounds better.

My idea:
La Plata (KR, of course): Unite South America, perhaps ally with the Germans for blueprints. Whatever happens, rise to greatness and create a new power block in the south.

Amazing analysis! More or less I am now more inclined for Bitter Peace/Turkey/Fascist France. I agree that expanding with Ethiopia is kinda impossible or sucidal. Not sure about La Plata, though, I always felt that KR America is somehow nerfed.

Damn! I was going to use Turkey as my next AAR. I suppose then you should do Turkey, and I'll do my second choice then. Good luck!

If you are really really interested in doing Turkey, please contact me via PM.

Pacific States of America

Nice idea, indeed. Have you played it in-game? i don´t know if it has enough events to be interesting.

Your idea:
I support anything from MoD 33 as a departure from vanilla or KR.

My Idea:
Alternatively, Bonaparte's Legacy...It has not been done before (there was one attempt...but it's not going anywhere anytime in the future.)

Post-bitter peace Soviet Union or Fascist France.

Mittleafrika!

Well, my favorite ideas at the moment are the post-BP USSR, Turkey or possibly Republican Spain if you go communist after the civil war and spread the revolution from the west. (In fact, this sounds like quite a good idea. Invade the Nazi bloc from the west when you are ready on the USSR's side, then after WWII, be an important asset to them due to your strategic position in a cold war gone hot.)

Chapter XXIX: Rise of the SED

As soon as the Soviets took control of all German and Austrian lands, the great priority of Marshal Zhukov was the consolidation of Soviet rule in the area. Unlike what happened in other European countries, the German people would not easily tolerate the imposition of a long Soviet occupation, and thus it was necessary to lay the groundwork for the formation of a friendly government in Germany. One of the first problems Zhukov faced was to eliminate the democratic consciousness of the people of Germany, for which he nominated Sergei Tuilpanov as responsible of pro -Soviet propaganda in the area, and trusted NKVD´s agent Ivan Serov as new Commissar of Internal Affairs for the occupation zone. Soon, Serov would become Zhukov’s right hand and one of the most important figures in the area of occupation, a fact that was reinforced when Zhukov accepted his request to create and direct a pro-soviet police throughout Germany.

19ivanaleksandroviserov.jpg

Ivan Serov was a key figure in the Soviet occupation policy

Formed in late 1945, the Volkspolizei was initially headed by Serov and was entrusted the task of "keeping order in the streets and purging the country of the enemies of the proletariat." Mainly composed by former supporters of the KPD, the police force would serve as a real cleaning brigade, both to investigate any movements suspicious to the Soviets and to arrest all those who demanded more freedom and independence from Moscow. Throughout the year, thousands of former political activists were arrested and executed or sent to re-education camps, and by the end of the year there were few who dared to rise against the oppressive Soviet policies.

00001f60_medium.jpeg

Members of the Volkspolizei interrogating a suspicious citizen

However, the fate of the main political leaders of the previous democratic era would be more theatrical, as Stalin had ordered that a public trial should be conducted against the Government of Vogel and against "all those groups and individuals who have worked against the establishment of the proletarian dictatorship in Germany”. Thus, all members of the previous government were accused of "crimes against the people and incitement to war", and so were several trade union or religious leaders and the leading politicians of the democratic opposition. With a large press coverage, the massive trial would be held in Potsdam and conducted by the Soviet judges Iona Nikitchenko, Alexander Volchkov and a representative of the Western Allies, the British judge Norman Birkett.

Once the trial started, Lieutenant-General Roman Andreyevich Rudenko began his turn as prosecutor, in which hundreds of dubious evidence and suspicious witness statements tended to ensure that the cabinets of Wels and Vogel had conspired in secret to install a German tyranny all across Europe. While no one doubted what the outcome of the trial would be, the British judge understood that it would not be possible to act with any impartiality in the matter, and announced his resignation to “participate in such legal farce “. However, the Russians did not hesitate to follow the course of the trial, during which all the defendants declared in order of importance.

Russian_judges_at_Nuremberg.jpg

Alexander Volchkov, Iona Nikitchenko and Norman Birkett

The climax came with the statement by former Chancellor Wels. Sick and exhausted, everything seemed to presage that Wels would argue health issues not to testify, but to the astonishment of all present he conducted a titanic effort and stood up saying that " the will of the German people would never be bowed down, and even after decades of oppression it would rise from the ashes “. The passionate speech he gave then was abruptly interrupted by the Soviet authorities, who gave order to close the hall and appointed a final date for the lecture of the verdict. Interestingly, Wels died in strange circumstances that same night, and a few days later the court considered guilty most of the defendants. Vogel, Hugenberg, Crispien and hundreds of democratic leaders were sentenced to death and executed the same day. The red devil took its toll in blood.

Schacht.jpg

Former Reichsbank´s President Hjalmar Schacht facing the Soviet trial

For its part, the Soviet Union signed a new Treaty of Friendship and Cooperation with the Republic of Tuva, which effectively meant the annexation of the former state by USSR, and after the Soviet capture of Helsinki the Finnish armies finally surrendered. Following the guidelines of Stalin, another puppet government was established in Finland, and the long hand of communism had already reached Scandinavia.

2o6n.png

Members of the Komintern in 1946

In the international arena, the British returned the provinces under British control to the Egyptians, fulfilling his promise to leave the military occupation after the danger of the Italian invasion had vanished. In Asia, the Americans once again made ​​use of its nuclear arsenal, and the city of Saigon was reduced to ashes and was quickly captured by the troops of Chiang Kai Shek. In Brazil, the Brazilian Army defeated the allies once more and regained control of the jungles in the north. Undoubtedly, Brazil had managed to maintain its independence until now, but many wondered if Americans would not end using their nuclear arsenal against Vargas or if the Russians would not try to extend their claws to South America sooner or later.

nj8s.png

The horror! The horror!

Back in Germany, Marshal Zhukov announced in a statement that “the progress made in the last year allowed a final step towards the liberation of Germany”, and after a long press statement the Soviet Occupation Zone announced the possibility that the "different political parties in Germany were integrated into the Sozialistische Einheitspartei Deutschlands”. Such an invitation was nothing but a direct order from Moscow, and the members of the SPD, CDU and KPD who were still alive were forced to join the new party. In a crowded meeting in Berlin, the General Secretary Walter Ulbricht announced that he reached “an agreement with the Soviet authorities for the creation of an independent German state”, but despite the applause and "spontaneous" demonstrations for this news, no one had any illusions: the USSR had achieved to create and control all the tools to control the future German government.

Crop_-_Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-V01850__Berlin__Walter_Ulbricht_am_Rednerpult.jpg

Walter Ulbricht announcing the agreement with the Soviet Union

Well, by looking at the oppinions stated by the readers and from my personal feelings, the next AAR will be either about the USSR in a post-bitter peace context or about a fascist France. Here are my thoughts about each one:

-Post bitter peace USSR: Main pros are that it has never been done, and can be quite fun to tell that story. The obvious cons is that it will be quite difficult to find historical data to write a more or less plausible AAR, and that it can be quite a challenge. For this I totally discard using WiF (it´s hard to win as the regular SU, so I cannot imagine how this could be won), so I will use either DHF or TRP. My initial idea is that the manpower system of TRP might make it a little easier, so perhaps I´ll use that mod. Unless someone has a better idea, I also think that the best think to do is to play a hands-off game and then wait until Bitter Peace triggers.

-Fascist France: As someone said, no one has ever made a mod33 AAR, and this will be quite interesting, not to mention the fact that a Fascist France it´s an interesting set up by itself. Main problem is that it would be played with DH 1.02, since the 1.03 version of the mod was quite difficult to install.

I would really like to make both AARs, but I will have to stick with one due to time reasons (let´s hope no one takes the idea for himself while I´m doing the other :) ).

As for the rest of the ideas, I will reserve for future AARs some I found really interesting: Mittleafrika, Turkey, Bonaparte´s Legacy (cool idea, but I need to play the mod to get familiar with it) or Ethiopia with Communist mod (great idea, Mathrim!). Thanks to all for your cooperation!