• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You could right click and place a claim on the provinces. Since they shouldn't have cores there, in time they might offer them to you and you could give them to Slovakia.

Yes but it will destroy the relations with Romania...
Anyway, Romania would never accept Slovakian territory. Slovakia is our friend. :)

You will create a British Republic? :p

Well, if I manage to conduct a successful Sealion AND a peace event triggers (I don´t know if the mod contemplates such an option), i think it would be more rpg friendly to accept a good peace than an almost unending war. All in all, our claimed territories have been recovered and as a democracy we do not intent the (total) destruction of our enemies.

You could right click and place a claim on the provinces. Since they shouldn't have cores there, in time they might offer them to you and you could give them to Slovakia.

Yes but it will destroy the relations with Romania...
Anyway, Romania would never accept Slovakian territory. Slovakia is our friend. :)

Usually AI handle quite well having uncored and unclaimed provinces while an ally have cores/claims on it, and give it back peacefully in a trade agreement, without relation penalties.

Great updates!

Yes, the problem is that relations with Romania would get a big negative hit, meaning that they would probably abandon the alliance once the war is over. An as Ticket Cookie said, the most probable thing is that Romania will give me this provinces without asking for them, and then they will be returned.

Greater will be the glory if thou prevailst in the end, my son.

Bad news. Just when I was preparing for Sealion, the Soviet Union has declared war. All my divisions are in the West and I seriously doubt I can win this, but I will try. The update will take a little longer, though.

Just like IRL, you can never trust Stalin, not even the digital one, hehe.

Still, this provides for an epic story-telling

Just like IRL, you can never trust Stalin, not even the digital one, hehe.

Still, this provides for an epic story-telling

True! I thought the "picking sides" event would bypass the usual Soviet Dow...but clearly I was wrong. But as you say, this will be really funny and interesting to tell, even if my enemies defeat me (which is the most probable outcome taking into account the number of soviet divisions+their advanced doctrines). But perhaps mr. Einstein ends his works in time and the outcome is changed...(c´mon, you lazy bastard, speed it up!). All in all, the first weeks of war will be crucial, specially choosing wisely where to redeploy them before the Sovs capture my border provinces.

Anyways, the next update will be today/tomorrow about the declaration of war, planning, etc, while I will leave the war itself for a later one, since this weekend is gonna be busy for me.

Chapter XIX: Fate knocks at the door

Most headquarters vibrated with excitement as the various plans for the invasion of England were received, and despite the difficulties of such an operation optimism circulated widespread and some officers even promised to their wives various souvenirs from the British islands. After a brief period of rest and military leaves to visit their families, the luckiest soldiers were deployed on the French coast to defend the continent in case of an invasion, and while the service hours were employed in surveillance tasks most soldiers had the feeling of being on vacation in the neighboring country. The remaining men from the Wehrmcacht, however, were arranged in certain strategic locations such as Cherbourg, Amsterdam and Kiel, the three main points from which the amphibious invasion would depart in order to start what some generals qualified as "the most ambitious project since the times of Alexander ".

Nazi%20Occupied%20Paris.jpg

German soldiers enjoying their stay in Paris

But that joy was to be short... Early in the morning, Chancellor Vogel was awakened by a phone call from the German ambassador to the Soviet Union, who shackily affirmed to have news of extreme urgency. Still asleep, the Chancellor thought that the Soviet Union had entered war with Japan or that they were about to claim the region of Bessarabia, but Vogel woke immediatly upon hearing that the Soviet Union had just declared war on Germany. Vogel had stupidly believed Crispien when the later held that they could trust Stalin, and now Vogel realized his mistake.

KnSLA61.png

Stalin declared war against Germany

Without wasting any more time, Vogel ordered to awake all the German High Command for an emergency meeting, and within hours a special room in the Reichstag was enabled to plan the conflict. According to the OKH, the Russian declaration of war had caught everyone by surprise, and it was inevitable to assume that, at least temporarily, Germany would lose some territories to the Soviets until the Wehrmacht was redistributed around the eastern border. Similarly, the Russian attack eliminated any chance of using Romanian troops as garrisons in France and Prague, and Marshal Antonescu sent a telegram reporting the first skirmishes between Romanian and Soviet soldiers had occured. Fortunately, the Romanians were making good use of the mountainous terrain and the transferred German technology, which would buy the Wehrmacht some some time to reorganize and redeploy.

rommelyrundstedt.jpg
mg42_tatra_03_45_l

Rommel, Manstein and Rundstedt discussing plans, and a group of Romanian soldiers fighting against the Soviets

After asking for calm, Marshal von Manstein started speaking and argued that while it would be a costly war and the Soviets had the intial advantage of surprise element, with good planning and a firm willingness to overcome the difficulties the Soviet Union could be defeated. According to Manstein, the Russians had committed the folly of attacking in winter, a fact that would facilitate German defensive operations, and once ethe front was truly consolidated it would be the ideal time for a great counteroffensive. Then came forward Otto Gessler, who stated that despite the huge number of troops that the Soviet Union had, the Abwehr had credible reports that assumed that they were poorly equipped and badly organized. Moreover, and according to recent reports, the most brilliant generals of the Soviet Union had been murdered by Stalin years ago, and Marshal Shaposhnikov had tried in vain to modernize the the red Army and to clear the High Command from political commissaries.

lfZEqlw.png

The state of the Red Army according to the Abwehr

Throughout the day, High Command planned "Operation Hindenburg", according to which the war would be divided into two phases. On the one hand, the troops stationed in France would continue there until relief garrisons could be used, while the core of the Her would contain the Russian invasion until the weather improved. Most of the Luftwaffe would be used in the West to contain the Allied bombing campaign, but it would support the offensive operations against the USSR when necessary. Once Germany had gone on the offensive, the German spearhead would advance over Belarus and Ukraine, trying to lock the Soviet Army in a huge bag while the armored units would keep penetrating into Russian territory.

Y7wORFj.png

Initial plan for the German counteroffensive

According to reports from the Abwehr, the collapse of the Soviet Union could be achieved if Germany could capture a series of strategic points that would undermine the chances of a Sovier recovery after the first months of "Plan Hindenburg". The first objective would be Kiev, which would allow to install a friendly regime in Ukraine and ensure the food supply for all German troops. In the north, the seizure of the city of Leningrad would grant that the Russians would not receive any help from the Allies, while the fall of Moscow was seen as a priority both from an strategic and political point of view. Finally, it was also necessary to capture Stalingrad and Baku, thus preventing the supply of oil to the Red Army and causing the paralization of its military.

xBv7V8H.png
TrJi6D4.png
OepuwUD.png
sa8pMIR.png
9oexS8s.png

If the Wehrmacht captured this cities, Stalin´s regime would probably collapse

For its part, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs focused on trying to win more allies for what was already considered a "Crusade against Bolshevism". In a vain attempt to win the friendship of Germany, Mussolini declared war on the Soviet Union, but it was clear in the eyes of the world it was just a bluff and that the exhausted Italian army had no way to reach Russian soil, not to mention the fact that he was still at war with Ethiopia, and that according to the Abwehr Italy had just 18 divisions of dubious quality. Similarly, the German government still saw Mussolini's dictatorship as an evil regime, and getting him in the war would grant the Allies an easy way to land in Europe, and so that the Italian proposal was rejected with contempt. However, the Ministry did employ large sums of money in bringing Finland to the German cause, and while they still doubted about the necessity of declaring war upon the Soviet Union, it seemed that sooner or later Finland would accept the possibility of recovering their territories through its entry in the Axis. Several analysts studied the option of organizing a coup in Spain to restore a constitutional monarchy under the figure of Juan de Borbón, allowing the control of Gibraltar, but the plan was eventually discarded for being considered too risky.

Benito_Mussolini_Roman_Salute.jpg

Many wonder for how long the Italian people will endure Mussolini´s folly

After a very intensive day, the meeting was dissolved and the generals and marshals started to depart for the eastern front. Germany was at war with the world, and it was in the hands of the Wehrmacht to achieve the impossible and defeat the Soviet colossus. Fate knocked at the doors of Germany.

Al your Wehrmacht has on the east front is a single GAR division in Warsaw, and your politicians are already planning the capture of Baku and Leningrad? :D :D :D

Let's see Stalin light a fire under your generals' butt, that'll get them back to reality soon enough.

And good luck, you'll need it!!

P.S. please don't cheat or reload to win that war, the story you tell gets so much more exciting when there's no safety net and a real possibility of losing. Stalin's army looks gigantic and I'm genuinely curious to see how you cope with that.

I solemnely promise I have not, and won´t cheat to win this war, and I only reload if I have to quit or my computer crashes (happens sometimes since it´s really old). As you say, what I want to tell is the story of a democratic Germany and not a show of force or something like that. The curious thing is that this can end the same way as the OTL war, except perhaps that I will also get nuked XD.

The only reload I would tolerate is one in case I got annexed, to "see" how the postwar events go and to be able to tell the story of an occupied Germany. But first things first: defend the reich!

In next time,ask soviets about NP pact,if you planed something global,like sealion

In next time,ask soviets about NP pact,if you planed something global,like sealion

I just thought I had it signed with the picking sides event, so it is probable that it reached its expiration date and I forgot about it. Not that it does mind too much, since they would just cancel it and attack.

Y7wORFj.png

Initial plan for the German counteroffensive

I can just imagine what's going on inside the head of the commander of that lone garrison by the border... :D

Last edited:
The funny thing here is that while perhaps Germany can see Mussolini evil because of his support to the Nazis, France and the United Kingdom should be his friends (historically they were until Abyssinia and his friendship with Germany).

Im too play as democracy Germany (Im restored monarchy) Im not started war against Japan for growing of manpower.But im defeated France,Czechs,Poland+im invited Romania,Hungary and Italy to my monarchy block.Soviets had 40 divisons in every border province and every army with tanks or motoinfantry

The funny thing here is that while perhaps Germany can see Mussolini evil because of his support to the Nazis, France and the United Kingdom should be his friends (historically they were until Abyssinia and his friendship with Germany).

YEah....if he somehow decides to join the Allies, war would last just a few months.

Im too play as democracy Germany (Im restored monarchy) Im not started war against Japan for growing of manpower.But im defeated France,Czechs,Poland+im invited Romania,Hungary and Italy to my monarchy block.Soviets had 40 divisons in every border province and every army with tanks or motoinfantry

Congrats then!

Last edited:
This is great, keeping an eye on this. Subscribed!