• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Something tells me that when Guderian says the German army is the most advanced, his distrust of Slavs makes him ignore the Red Army...

Hack the game if you must in order to keep things going. There's quite a few crisis out there that could justify a German intervention in RP terms

Something tells me that when Guderian says the German army is the most advanced, his distrust of Slavs makes him ignore the Red Army...
I doubt that the Red Army would be really that advanced with the great purge occurred(and mobility doctrine is certainly better than manpower in the early 40s ingame) ... Plus, there have been no real combat yet to show the world Red Army's pathetic state.

I doubt that the Red Army would be really that advanced with the great purge occurred(and mobility doctrine is certainly better than manpower in the early 40s ingame) ... Plus, there have been no real combat yet to show the world Red Army's pathetic state.

I must agree with tooichan here. I am not ignoring the Red Army at all since its numbers are the largest in the World, but in terms of efficiency and equipment Germany has the lead, since lots of their divisions are outdated and I have only the 36 and 39 models. Same for tanks and airplanes.

Hack the game if you must in order to keep things going. There's quite a few crisis out there that could justify a German intervention in RP terms

After speaking with the mod creator and a DH developer I have finally been able to mobilize with just a little tweak in the events file. However, I will have to do a little workaround to be able to get things rolling once the most important event ("Picking sides") has been launched, but after a quick game to test things out that won´t interfere with our story and will make sense. The next update (tomorrow or Sunday) will be the most comprehensive one; that way I will cover al the way since the end of 1940, the date when the final event triggers.

This mod looks pretty awesome! Is it all up to date and compatible?

Chapter XIV: Nationalism on the rise

With the economic situation clearly improved, and once eliminated the fear of a collapse of the German democracy, a strong nationalist feeling gradually grew within the German society. While the welfare policies introduced by the SPD had rescinded the economic conditions of the Versailles Treaty, the territories that Germany lost after the Great War were still in the hands of foreign nations: Alsace and Lorraine, Schleswig, Silesia, Posen, the Danzig corridor, Memel... All those lands with large German population belonged to other states, and without the specter of unemployment and poverty, much of the population began to listen to the speeches of the DNVP and the NSDAP, who called for a more aggressive foreign policy aimed at recovering those territories.

Chancellor Vogel saw in this movement a perfect opportunity to enact the partial mobilization the OKH requested recently, and a large majority of the Reichstag approved the "Act of reform and expansion of the civil duties," which effectively integrated a number of reservists in the Army and allowed to continue with the planned expansion. Without pause, the Wehrmacht kept expanding its numbers and its equipment with the arrival of several new armored divisions built in the Skoda factory in Prague, as well as a new division of paratroopers commanded by General Kurt Student.

gbpa433.jpg

The new elite unit of the Wehrmacht: the Fallschirmjäger

However, the large military production rate imposed by the international situation required a huge steel production, and since the current one was clearly insufficient, the Government was forced to sign several international treaties to overcome such a deficit. Obviously, imported steel would not come for free and required a considerable public expense, and to solve this dilemma the chancellor decided to implement a new "Steel Tax," which was received with great dissatisfaction by most citizens. Cleverly, Hugenberg created an advertising campaign attributing the tax to "the inefficiency caused by SPD", and for the first time the ruling party was losing popular support, while the Zentrum hoped his campaign would directly benefit them in the future elections planned for 1941. Curiously, Goebbels declared that while irredentist lands should return to Germany, only a people united under a common ideal and government would succeed: had the nazis finally accepted to respect the democratic rules, or were they planning something?

yt6.bmp

The collapse of the steel production level forced the creation of the Steel Tax

In the rest of the Globe, the Spanish civil war still continued, and some voices began to call for a truce that would allow both sides to negotiate a peace agreement for the country. Stubbornly, Mussolini refused to acknowledge the truth and denied all Ethiopian peace proposals, while in China the Japanese army began to lose power and was forced to fight in the mountains of central China. Against all odds, the war between Paraguay and Bolivia ended with the capture by of the Paraguayan capital, after which the Bolivian government announced the annexation of all the territory from Paraguay. Finally, the Brazilian government understood the need to have the support of a foreign power to achieve stability on the continent, and by the end of 1940 formalized its entry into the Axis.

r58g.png

Brazil, who has the 2nd Airforce in the World, finally joined the Axis

In Berlin, the Zentrum agreed to join the "National revival movement" promoted by the DNVP, and some of their leaders even participate in a massive demonstration that asked the Government for a decisive step into recovering the lost territories. Furious, Chancellor Vogel considered such actions as a "complete breakdown of the Adlon Agreements", and dismissed Joseph Wirth as Foreign Minister, a position that would be taken temporarily until the new elections by the former Chancellor Otto Wels. After an emergency meeting, Vogel announced the holding of a conference between all European powers in Königsberg, where the Germans would be discussed with the blessing of the League of Nations.

344112.jpg

Members of the DNVP before the november 1940 demonstration

So, Vargas' Estado Novo is now in the "Axis of European Democracy"? Those two qualifiers are down the drain, I suppose.:laugh:

No, no, don't you see? It's about democracy in Europe - it doesn't say that it has to exist in South America! Or at least that's what Vargas thinks. "If I can protect it in Europe and then it doesn't run away to the Americas!"

In any case, from that DNVP picture it seems like they're experiencing an influx of former NSDAP members that ditched the Nazi party in an attempt to regain some political credibility by disassociating themselves from that second failed putsch.

So, Vargas' Estado Novo is now in the "Axis of European Democracy"? Those two qualifiers are down the drain, I suppose.:laugh:

No, no, don't you see? It's about democracy in Europe - it doesn't say that it has to exist in South America! Or at least that's what Vargas thinks. "If I can protect it in Europe and then it doesn't run away to the Americas!"

In any case, from that DNVP picture it seems like they're experiencing an influx of former NSDAP members that ditched the Nazi party in an attempt to regain some political credibility by disassociating themselves from that second failed putsch.

Hahaha, Julius got the trick! Considering that a democratic Germany has few options to gain allies, I cannot say no to Vargas...specially if he has 24 air divisions avaliable!

And about the DNVP, there are gaining power from former members of all other right winged formations; but it is also to justify a weird minister change that happened after the 1941 elections. I hope it will make (some) sense in the next update.

So.... What will the SPD do? Fold to the right wing pressure or hold their ground?....

I think Germany will DoW the allies somehow; either from the SDP caving in or from a Zentrum-DNVP coalition taking over

So.... What will the SPD do? Fold to the right wing pressure or hold their ground?....

I think Germany will DoW the allies somehow; either from the SDP caving in or from a Zentrum-DNVP coalition taking over

That is a good analysis. Right now, the Zentrum has a good chance of winning the elections with the support of other right winged parties, but the SPD could counter it if they manage to appear strong in international politics and find another ally to replace the Zentrum.

Go MercilessNacho, give 'em hell.

I was following, but t'was time I subscribed, I missed a few chapters.

Thanks Mathrim! Glad you suscribed!

Brazil allied with Germany? :eek:hmy:

Well, in 1939 Brazil had trade agreements both with the Axis and the Allies, and since we are at peace and keep good relations with them it is quite feasible, IMO.

Chapter XV: The Edge of the Knife

In late 1940, representatives of all the European powers travelled to Königsberg for a conference called by Chancellor Vogel in which they would try to figure out the future map of Europe. With this meeting, Vogel tried not only to regain the territories that were taken to Germany by the Versailles Treaty, but also to appease an electorate increasingly focused on irredentism and nationalism. Germany's position was clear: he had proven not to be a threat to the former members of the Entente and had contributed substantially to the pacification of Europe in the last seven years, and therefore requested the return of the German populated territories within Denmark, Poland, France and Belgium.

4dap.png

The Königsberg Conference was called to revert the unjust situation in Europe

However, the Allies did not seem at all willing to cooperate, and only accepted the end of Danzig as an independent state and the return of Memel and the surrounding area to Germany. Relying on the old theory that Germany could not occupy the central position in European politics, both France and Germany refused to discuss any other claims, and even our own ally of Czechoslovakia supported these theories despite having enjoyed years of German economic cooperation. After intense debate, the conference ended with a brief treaty by which Germany recovered Danzig and Memel, but without any mention to the other claims. For its part, Poland, frightened by the German position, entered the Franco-British alliance and what is worse, Czechoslovakia decided it was necessary to switch sides and left the Axis for the Allies. The German people would not forget this betrayal.

The relative failure of “Vogel´s Treaty”, as it was called, widespread protests all across the country, and Joseph Wirth, who now had the support of the DNVP, requested early elections to the Reichstag in an irresponsible attempt to assume power. Before the President could declare anything, Vogel himself understood that his best option was to get ahead of events, and requested the convening of elections while designing a plan to win it. On one hand, and after a series of secret meetings with Thalmann, the SPD received guarantess from the KPD that they would have their support for the Chancellory; the fear of a right-wing government that would eliminate the social gains were a major factor in the decision, but also the promise of Vogel that in the future "Germany would not regard the Soviet Union as an ideological enemy, but as a potential strategic partner." Moreover, Vogel presented the plan "Welthauptstadt Germania" which following the guidelines of the brilliant architect Albert Speer would turn Berlin into the capital of the civilized world. For days, German newspapers and people spoke with enthusiasm of the new Berlin that was being planned, and how pleasant life would be with the new avenues and parks designed, and Vogel ensured a massive electoral support of all Berliners and enjoyed again a good deal of attention from the media.

aueq.png
6_20121216np9uzx.gif

An image of the new Reichstag planned by Albert Speer

As the country prepared for the elections, a diplomatic delegation of Hungary asked Germany to arbitrate in the dispute between Hungary and Romania regarding the territory of Ruthenia. Despite German hints that the entry of Hungary into the Axis would cause a good impression in the face of the final decision, the Hungarians refused to discuss another issue apart of their territorial claims, and finally Germany decided in favor of Romania and declared "that no claim was justified upon the Kingdom of Romania". The next day, Bulgaria announced he was leaving his claims about Dobrich, and Romania breathed with relief and thanked Germany for its support.

ao3i.png

Former Hungarian claims on Romania

Meanwhile, a large fascist counter offensive in Spain allowed Franco to take control of Madrid and crushed the Republican defensive line in a few months, who were now forced to flee to the south and fixed the new capital in Seville. The end of the civil war was near, and Germany secretly sent a delegation to the so called “Bando Nacional”, now united around the figure of Generalissimo Franco. Luckily, the Spanish feared isolation after the war, and a provisional and secret agreement was reached: the new regime would respect all trade agreements signed by the Republic if Germany withdrew its expeditionary force, which was done under the pretext that due to the international tension all troops should return to German soil. In Africa and Asia the situation did not change much with the wars in Ethiopia and China stalled, but the Japanese regime received a blow with the embargo decreed by the United States. Were the Americans preparing for a conflict in the Pacific?

almirante.JPG

Franco and Arias Salgado arrive to Hendaya for a secret meeting with a German delegation

Finally, the scientist Albert Einstein, in collaboration with Heisenberg, ended his plans for the design of an isotope separation plant, for which the government would divert large amount of state funds. According to some, nuclear power was the way forward, and might even have military applications.

325px-German_Experimental_Pile_-_Haigerloch_-_April_1945-2.jpg

German workers setting up the new nuclear installation

The decisive election day finally arrived, and the Zentrum managed to convince all right winged parties that it was time to change course and to give post-electoral support for Joseph Wirth´s candidacy. However, many of the voters saw in these pacts a dangerous right turn of the Zentrum, and despite the apparent importance of the nationalist issue many feared that such an action would favor extremist parties, while the SPD was still contemplated as the party that had ruled Germany quite well over the last decade. The results would leave no room for doubt: the Zentrum downed to 194 seats and the SPD consolidated as first force with 298, while the DNVP increased their supprt within the conservative sectors of society and rose to 71 seats. For its part, the Nazi party lost support once more and got only 45 seats, while the KPD and the BVP gained 32 and 2 seats respectively.

3ru2.png

The Reichstag after the 1941 elections

Still, the Zentrum did not surrender, and announced that President Marx, a member of Zentrum, would understand that Wirth should be appointed as chancellor due to the support of all other parties in the Reichstag with a total of 312 depputies supporting him . Marx seemed willing to comply with such a request, but he did not take into account the KPD, that stated his support for Vogel “to avoid a fascist coup against the will of the German people carried out by the Zentrum". Thus, the SPD exceeded the 324 supports necessary to bypass the Presidential will, and the Reichstag proclaimed Hans Vogel as chancellor of Germany for four more years. The new government decided to reinstate Arthur Crispien as Foreign Minister because of his good relations with the Soviet Union, while Hans Erhard would be the new Chief of the Intelligence Services. Meanwhile, Adam Stegerwald announced he was leaving the Zentrum "because of its lack of respect for the democratic process," and after entering the SPD ranks he was confirmed as Minster of Internal Affairs.

0r1c.png

Vogel´s new cabinet

The first action of the new government would be to settle accounts with Czechoslovakia, who had left the Axis and reinstated border controls, limiting the rights of the Sudeten German population. After announcing it to the League of Nations, Minister Crispien organized a plebiscite in the Sudetenland, in which 92.3% of the population decided to join the Reich. Ignoring the protests of Prague, German troops entered the Sudetenland and were received by a jubilant crowd sick of the Czech betrayals.

p6bz.png
oct38a.jpg

German troops entered the Sudetenland and were received as heroes. The lady in the second picture saluted
the troops all day long, and could not lower his arm when the parade ended.

The international situation growed increasingly tense, and the British Government decided to invite the German Foreign Minister to "negotiate an entry of Germany into the Allies to protect Europe from the Bolshevik menace". However, the German government ignored the proposal and stated that "the allies lost this opportunity at the Könisberg conference." The Western world shook with the signing of the Molotov-Crispien Agreement, by which Germany and the USSR signed a nonaggression pact and mutually recognized the territorial aspirations of both states.

ik2w.png
lrpu.png

The work of Crispien as ambassador before the Soviet Union paved the road for the Treaty that ensured peace in the East

Faced with such news, both France and UK announced a partial mobilization of its troops, and Germany responded with the mobilization of the Reichswehr. According to the Abwehr, Germany had 245 divisions and allies gathered just 200 between all of them. Would it be enough? For its part, the United States announced that they would not “tolerate another act of aggression by Germany", but did not seem very willing to enter the war. One thing was clear: the world was about to explode, and Germany faced its final destiny.

oh this going well! I can't wait to see the outcome! What mod are you using because i don't recall seeing half of these events just in the democratic Germany mod?

This mod is Mixed Mod by Arcanjo Zero (http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?657199-Mixed-Mod), which integrated and improved both Democratic Germany and Communist Germany mod, and some other mini mods that really improve gameplay and inmersion. However, mind that some events from Democratic mod depend on who is the Head of Government: SPD has more economic development events, DNVP some army expansion, etc.

Wow, I hate to imagine what could've happen if a Democratic Germany was defeated by Britain and France...so win...because I don't want to imagine it. :)

Hard to tell! Anyways, even if I end defeated the AAR would go on...there would be many interesting and ahistorical things to explain!

Also, let me remind all of you that I have not been avoiding war, since the mod delays the "point of no return" to 1940-41 due to the longer process of recovery that being democratic or communist takes. However, I am currently speaking with the creator of the mod, since the final event for the start of the war (one like "Danzig or War!" in Vainilla) has not appeared to me. The fact that i did ally Czechoslovakia and prevented the Munich Agreements probably messed a little the game, but nothing that cannot be solved.

Therefore, I have 3 options: use intelligence to increase the belligerence of the allies and be able to dow them (long and boring process), use the console to modify my political status and reset it afterwards (this one can really mess the game), load with an axis minor and dow Germany, or just find the event that should occur and launch it manually. Probably I will use this last solution, since its the easier and cleanest one and all the normal requeriments have been met not to consider it cheating. The bad part (and this one is unavoidable by modders as it is hardcoded) is that once Japan attacks Pearl Harbor, I will be in war against the US too. We´ll see if I´m able to win the war :) .

To summarize, one simple advice to those who want to give a try to the mod (which I deeply recommend): don´t ally Czechoslovakia!