• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.

Groogy

Fossilized Platypus
140 Badges
Sep 4, 2009
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Lead and Gold
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Ancient Space
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Sengoku
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Cities in Motion
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • March of the Eagles
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • King Arthur II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Impire
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
Second week and a second dev diary! We will continue for this week as well to discuss new patch features and changes.

I'll start with some more quality of life changes we've done with the right-click menu to make interactions with various entities in the game even more smooth. For starters we've finally removed the capital letters in the tooltip to hint about how to now interact with characters, but that's not really a big deal. We have also extended the menu to now include actions such as plot to kill in this menu to make life a little bit easier.

DD_2.jpg

But we didn't end there because we also felt that you should be able to interact more with holdings and titles so we added it to them as well, including a decision to switch what you want as your capital holding. Obviously the bishopric of Uppsala should be the capital of Sweden now that the capital holding type doesn't matter for government anymore.

DD_1.jpg

There's also a thing that has been very difficult to do in Crusader Kings 2 is to get a visual overview of your realm and its hierarchy which is why we have merged the Independent Realms mapmode and Direct Vassals mapmode into one superior mapmode which combine the both plus some more. Let's have a look at the Holy Roman Empire and his realm.

DD_3.jpg

To now see the breakdown of this realm you Ctrl+Left Click on a province on the map belonging to the Empire and it will break up in-front of you to show you what hides within. Showing you the various duchies and counts beneath the Emperor. Pretty standard to how the Direct Vassal mapmode works but you can isolate it to one realm at a time.

DD_4.jpg

But let's say you want to look deeper into the hierarchy and break up the Kingdom of Bohemia to view what duchies and counties that it contains? You just click it again and this sub realm will also be broken apart to reveal the King's own direct vassals letting you examine your vassals vassals.

DD_5.jpg

And like Doomdark did last week I'll finish up with some random snippets from our huge Changelog

- Several Lovers events now checks that ruler/spouse/lover isn't incapable/imprisoned
- Rügen, Öland and Djerba are no longer considered to be ocean terrain provinces.
- You'll no longer try to talk to your dead children when you have the family focus.
- It is now possible to gain the Crusader/Mujahid trait as a character of any religion participating in a Crusade/Jihad.
- To become a cardinal you have to be within the pope's diplomatic range
- Can no longer enforce plot to take vassal land if he is in revolt.
- Go tiger hunting no longer disappears after creating a custom Empire in India.
- Fixed get married ambition for homosexuals.
- Now we have visual indicator when settlement slots are being used by tribals
- Paranoid parents should no longer worry about potential plots against dead children.
- Lovers in prison can no longer get impregnated normally
- Anglo-Saxons are now also allowed to create the Kingdom of Saxony

Last edited:
Reactions:
Settlement slots being used by tribals?

Tribals strength are based on amount of empty holdings in the province, its just a little visual cue that its technically "not empty"

Reactions:
Does the changes to province and title interactions no mean you can target them directly with decisions and events? ie, you can right click a province to use a decision to target that province with a modifier?

Yes

Reactions:
Question, with the ability to change the capital holding will it be possible (by decision or in some other way) to change your government? Like say I want to make the kingdom of Portugal into a republic or vice-versa, will this now be possible?

We have discussed it but we agreed on no that we won't permit that in a vanilla game but it should be super easy to mod in now.

Reactions:
what is the small sword and shield button above King Magus head ? Declare war, I guess ?
Its forbid yourself from leading your own armies

Reactions:
Weird.
Now we have the "Commander' minor title, shouldn't it be the other way around ? Everyone is forbidden to lead armies except for the appointed commanders ?

No the ruler can always lead his own troops

Reactions:
Will the old map modes still be available?

All of this is integrated into the old Independent Realm mapmode, if you don't want to use it you simply don't have to.

Reactions:
I like the new changes and be able to play as a church is very nice. government type changes are nice too. keep up the good work you guys. I look forward to seeing all these changes.

You still can't play as a church. It was just an example of swapping holdings around in the province. The old penalties still apply.

Reactions:
@Groogy

I'm curious how this was fixed. As I recall, the reason that this doesn't work is that the decision is tied to de jure realms in India. Is this now tied to the hundreds of counties in India or do all counties now have a hidden geographic region which determines decisions?
Will delve into this in another diary maybe.

Reactions:
I fixed a bug in the ambition concerning characters with homosexual trait.

Reactions:
My question was (and still is), if I change the capital holding from a Castle to a City (or a Bishopric), am I going to lose all of those bonuses? And if so, why would I ever want to?

Yes you lose all your bonuses, and no there is no reason to ever wanting to switch to a holding type that is wrong for your government type.

Reactions:
Reactions:
I just leave a link here. I explained it often on the forum. And I just say it again... Jeanne of Arc don't lead armies. She was never a real leader. She was just a figurehead for the French nation. Yes she was important and helped a lot as figurehead... But as real warrior or army leader she was not good. I preffer Mathilde of Tuscany as exemple... Or Sikelgaita ;) But there are more. Most of them were female rulers or consorts, of course. Female leaders have to lead there armies, like male rulers have to do it too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_post-classical_warfare

And i'm very sad that the only female warrior in Catholic Europe ingame is this annoying Jeanne of Arc... Yes she was a great figurehead for the nation... but she was no mighty army leader *sigh*

Actually we have been looking into giving the glory and praise Matilda she and many other ladies deserve. Any female ruler will be able to lead her own armies now actually with 2.4.

Reactions:
63260-spoilers-lalalala-I-cant-hear-gBkc.jpeg

Best argument technique since the Classical era!
Anyway yes I want to clarify this only applies to ruling women, and not every women in the world which means it will be quite few who actually can use this unless the player intervenes somehow. Though I think you got that but you were exaggerating a bit on the scale it felt so just wanted to be extra clear.

Reactions:
Sound very reasonable. Like I said, why not just go ahead and allow females to be councillors, enter jousting tournaments or lead military orders? If you want to be PC and ignore history might as well go all the way.

Can't argue with that so done, added all of your requests. Women can now do all of those actions.

Reactions:
Because strenght in arms was precisely what allowed one to rule during this historical period. If you really study medieval history you must know the whole system of feudalism was based on the idea of a warlord offering protection in exchange of tribute. It was uncommon for women to rule because of that.
Well, we do have child rulers (those who got through the regency without being deposed/killed), they managed to rule without leading their armies personally in battle, I suppose. Regardless, dynastic ties were certainly not meaningless in medieval western society, it wasn't physical/military strength determining the heir, although it could make a use during a succession crisis.

That said, taking in consideration the cultural background of the time, I do agree having any woman ruler occupy any position on the council and leading armies seems excessive, in my opinion. In fact, it diminishes the accomplishments of those few women that did in fact manage to get to such positions in real life in that period, regardless of the cultural and physical limitations.

Reactions:
Of course, for what concerns women in armies, it is ultimately a question of sexual dimorphism, that's why the factor is mostly consistent regardless of culture, religion and time period. To that, one has to add the social and religious discrimination during the middle ages as an additional obstacle.

I suppose ultimately is really not something important, the job_titles file has been moddable for years, anybody can set up all sorts of specific requirements for any council position and the army-leading function. In fact, seems strange they would change the basic set up now, considering how easy it is for any player to do so.

Once the update comes, if the new requirements appear too lenient for my tastes, I suppose I'll just tweak them to my preference for my personal copy of the game. As I already did ages ago for the previous versions.

On Groogy's request, I will be going through this thread and ensure anyone I consider to be sexist is infracted.

Consider yourselves warned.

Reactions: